Barkov vs Rantanen vs Laine

Who will be the best Finnish hockey player over the next decade

• Total voters

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
Heiskanen has to show it in the NHL before you can really make a case for him to have a higher ceiling than Mikko or Aho. Both are well on their way to being stars in the NHL, Rantanen got back into the top 15 for leaguewide scoring last night, whereas Heiskanen needs to still show that he can play his game in the NHL, and his game results in more than a reliable 2/3.

That you or someone else can value it only after NHL games doesn't change the ceiling he has now. It's same, what I said. Rantanen and Aho have proved more now and then it's easy to say, that their floors are better than Heiskanen's floor, but I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one, who would put their money on Heiskanen, if you have choose from those three, who has best odds to be better than Barkov and Laine.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That you or someone else can value it only after NHL games doesn't change the ceiling he has now. It's same, what I said. Rantanen and Aho have proved more now and then it's easy to say, that their floors are better than Heiskanen's floor, but I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one, who would put their money on Heiskanen, if you have choose from those three, who has best odds to be better than Barkov and Laine.

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that the transition to the NHL is one that you can’t always predict. I still wish my Avs had gotten the third pick to take Miro, even though Makar has been exceptional, but you never really know until you see kids make that NHL transition.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that the transition to the NHL is one that you can’t always predict. I still wish my Avs had gotten the third pick to take Miro, even though Makar has been exceptional, but you never really know until you see kids make that NHL transition.

I'd say in Heiskanen's case there are zero question marks on him becoming NHL 1st pairing defenseman. That may not make him instantly more valuable than Barkov. But when you factor in the high possibility of Heiskanen becoming more valuable than either Barkov or Laine, you can't but take him as the third pick over other finns like Rantanen/Aho.

Finnish hockey has never produced such a D-man. And most likely never will again, at least in my lifetime.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If I’m building a team, I’ll take Datsyuk over OV.

If I want a legend, I’ll take OV.

As another poster mentioned, Barkov is more likely to be better than Datsyuk then Laine is to reach OV.

This isn’t about building a team it’s about who will be the best player over the next 10 seasons, Laine hasnt hit 20 years of age yet and in both of his first 2 seasons he has blown any of Barkovs first 4 seasons out of the water. If Laine is a 19 year old kid with 41 Goals in and 66pts in 71 Games played(this season) and only 16.43 minutes per game what will he look like when he is Barkovs age with 20 minutes per game? I think Laine is a more risky option but he does have a much much higher potential, let’s not act as if Barkov has been playing like he has this season his whole career either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd say in Heiskanen's case there are zero question marks on him becoming NHL 1st pairing defenseman. That may not make him instantly more valuable than Barkov. But when you factor in the high possibility of Heiskanen becoming more valuable than either Barkov or Laine, you can't but take him as the third pick over other finns like Rantanen/Aho.

Finnish hockey has never produced such a D-man. And most likely never will again, at least in my lifetime.

I don’t think that’s been true of any prospect other than Dahlin in well over a decade. Even with great prospects like Jones, Hedman, Ekblad & Larsson there was no guarantee that they wouldn’t top out as good top 4 guys that never quite put it together enough to be true top pairing guys.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
This is bit like comparing oranges and apples, they got different qualities.

I like Laine's goal ratio (.53 per game as of now) so I say him.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
This isn’t about building a team it’s about who will be the best player over the next 10 seasons, Laine hasnt hit 20 years of age yet and in both of his first 2 seasons he has blown any of Barkovs first 4 seasons out of the water. If Laine is a 19 year old kid with 41 Goals in and 66pts in 71 Games played(this season) and only 16.43 minutes per game what will he look like when he is Barkovs age with 20 minutes per game? I think Laine is a more risky option but he does have a much much higher potential, let’s not act as if Barkov has been playing like he has this season his whole career either.

OK...we get it, you are a Winnipeg fan lmao.

Reactions: Kelly

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Maybe Im just overrating Barkov or underrating Laine but I'm really surprised that the results are this close

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Lovsan

Oct 18, 2015
Finland
they all will only become better but i think Barkov takes the cake afterall. hes overall play is simply so amazing.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
barkov is probably the right answer but my homeritis kicked in and I may clicked laine. I can live with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Everybody else are complete jokes compared to Barkov. I could understand this being close if Barkov only had the 30 points he started his career with as everybody cannot be watching the Panthers. But going close to PPG pace there's just no way there are other finns even in the same tier. Even the 65goal Laine some modern day Nostradamuses have foreseen just wouldn't make it to the Barkov tier.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Oh my the positivity way to go hagged :) im surprised you are so positive about a player i see as much less of a sure thing than laine (im way to ignorant on heiskanen sadly) but nontheless i like the optimism.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Laine.

Big Barkov Fan.(He's the better player NOW) But Laine is doing things Barkov wasn't at his age. Imagine what Laine will be doing when he grows into his frame and hits his prime.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
laine has 41 goals and is 19

last year he was 18 and had 36 goals in 73 games

some how everyone think barkov is gonna end up the better player even though scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the Nhl

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

no. how it works

when your team so down a goal or 2
you want a player like laine

as a jets fan it's really important that we got a player like laine that can be a threat from anywhere on the ice

2 way player who can be responsible in there own is nice, but being able to actually goals is nicer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad