Player Discussion Bargain FA's you want Holland to target

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
With not much space to sign Bear, Benning, and AA and needing a 1B goalie, who are players you'd target in Free Agency?

For me, I'd target:

Derick Brassard | 33 year old could be an ideal veteran 3C for a year or two before McLeod comes up; kinda like Letestu a few years back.

Alex Galchenyuk | He won't (or shouldn't) cost much after a tough season between Pittsburgh and Minnesota. Could be a sneaky good pick-up to play with Connor and could fill in at 3C if needed.

Bobby Ryan | Like Galchenyuk, he could be sneaky good pickup who won't (or shouldn't) cost much after a tough couple years in Ottawa and could be a good veteran RW'er for Connor for a year or two.

Paul LaDue | If Benning isn't brought back, he could be a solid replacement for a year or two before Bouchard is ready to take over.

Aaron Dell | Still relatively young for a goalie at 31, bringing the hometown boy back for a year or two before Konovolov is brought over seems like a good situation for both parties. He's shown he can step in as a 1B.

I'd honestly rather see this (forward) lineup:

Galchenyuk - McDavid - Ryan / Kassian
Nuge - Drai - Yamamoto
Neal - Brassard - Chiasson
Nygard - Haas - Kassian / Ryan
Archibald

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
If Koivu/Haula are willing to come here I really hope we throw them an offer

Haula would be amazing as 3C but it seems like he might get $3m, if not, at the very least, the $2.75m he made last year. Unless we can trade Russell, Larsson, and/or Kassian, I don't see us going after him.

Koivu seems like he'd go to a cup contending team for a last shot at the cup. Reports even have him possibly going back to Finland.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Mikko Koivu, Josh Anderson, Turris?

And because of McD AND Draisaitl, go get players that has type of players that could blossom, but are no big guns right now.

Get some finds in Florida, Buffalo, Anaheim, Arizona - other ”graveyard” organisations.

Def. Josh Anderson.
Maybe L.Crouse.
the Dahlen prospect

Oilers need a big body who has hands.
Not Maroon, but someone close.

RNH - MJesus - Andrsson
Dahlen - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Haas- Koivu - Arch
Nygård - Crack - Chiasson

Today Oilers are two wingers short still

Wow. We all thought that lastvyear was a waiting year. And now after just only the AA trade, everythibg is thrown out of the window, and here goes another waiting year. Ridiculous.

Rrally, did Holland really thought that AA was the big solution??
I have to put in question his hockey knowledge.
Even I could see AA wasnt.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Always liked Craig Anderson. I'm a Koskinen believer, wholeheartedly believe he's the guy to carry us to the SCF. Anderson would be a great mentor, another great addition in building Mikko's arsenal

Taylor Hall was my favorite player for so long, say what you want about him, he was the face of the Oilers for 5 years. And he did pretty good considering he was on one of the worst built teams in the league for that entire stretch. Nothing more would make me happy than seeing Hall lift the cup in an Oilers uniform, with McDavid passing it to him first. But the long term commitment isn't worth it, and could potentially strangle the team when he starts to decline, which may be sooner than later given he turns 29 in a week. Unless it's a 3-4 year deal, which is highly unlikely, and with the prospect pool maturing and starting to become NHL ready, every single penny saved is going to matter.

I hope we resign Ennis, really really praying he stays in Edmonton.

Jesper Fast is a great utility 2 way forward. He a +16 on a mediocre Rangers team, and had 29 pts in 69 games. If he costs less than 2, yessir

McDavid needs a goddamn winger. Josh Archibald, god bless him, is a terrible winger for Connor. He's an awesome bottom 6 forward, utilize him properly Tippett. And Kassian has a rare combo of skill, fight, and speed. But that Kassian only comes out maybe 20% of the time. He needs a bonafide, proven, confident goal scoring partner that can also keep up with him. Oilers probably aren't looking for any long term big time contracts either.
Ilya Kovalchuk. Of course he's way out of his prime, but watching him with Washington, the man still has alot of bite left. I would LOVE to see him in an Oiler uniform side by side with McD

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Mikko Koivu, Josh Anderson, Turris?

And because of McD AND Draisaitl, go get players that has type of players that could blossom, but are no big guns right now.

Get some finds in Florida, Buffalo, Anaheim, Arizona - other ”graveyard” organisations.

Def. Josh Anderson.
Maybe L.Crouse.
the Dahlen prospect

Oilers need a big body who has hands.
Not Maroon, but someone close.

RNH - MJesus - Andrsson
Dahlen - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Haas- Koivu - Arch
Nygård - Crack - Chiasson

Today Oilers are two wingers short still

Wow. We all thought that lastvyear was a waiting year. And now after just only the AA trade, everythibg is thrown out of the window, and here goes another waiting year. Ridiculous.

Rrally, did Holland really thought that AA was the big solution??
I have to put in question his hockey knowledge.
Even I could see AA wasnt.
Bring up Anderson and Columbus fans ask for draisaitl, they’re so out of touch it’s ridiculous

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Koivu, Wennberg (if he get's bought out), maybe Mikael Granlund if the price isn't too high.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What if..

.. We scoop up Turris and Wennberg, and get rid of Neal meanwhile?

And sig Bobby Ryan to a 1,5m$ x1 year deal.

RNH McDavid Ryan
Turris Draisaitl Yam
Nygård Wennberg Arch
Khaira Crackeli-crack Kassian
AA/ Russell

We are strong on the RW for once, not so much ob the LW

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
What if..

.. We scoop up Turris and Wennberg, and get rid of Neal meanwhile?

And sig Bobby Ryan to a 1,5m$ x1 year deal.

RNH McDavid Ryan
Turris Draisaitl Yam
Nygård Wennberg Arch
Khaira Crackeli-crack Kassian
AA/ Russell

We are strong on the RW for once, not so much ob the LW

You gotta keep Nuge - Drai - Yam together. Cracknell isn't gonna be our 4th line C. He's an AHL vet who might get a recall.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Wennberg looks like he’ll be bought out, he could be an intriguing piece. Galchenyuk is one too. Ryan also but we allready have Neal who doesn’t skate very well.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Assuming he is bought out, Wennberg. If he isn't, Carl Soderberg.

Colin Wilson on a one year contract. If he gets over his injuries, we get a top nine player who can fill in on the first line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bobby Ryan can still play. He is making bank right now from his buyout.

I think if you offer him a contract even in the 1-2 mill range and say he has a chance to revitalize his career and potentially play with McDrai he could jump in.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Well if Holland doesn't go after Georgiev or Jarry in a trade...

Maybe consider one of Mrazek or Reimer?

Brossoit would be decent too still.

Not all for old goalies but Craig Anderson at least plays with a little fire when he wants to.

As long as Tippett can utilize his goaltenders with another legit goalie option I'm not concerned.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There's a whole lot of what ifs before I start throwing names out here.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I sorta think we could probably land a mid-range UFAs without a home.
I think this years UFA pool is going to be wack, and some solid players will be left unsigned due to half of the league not having any space.

For some reason I imagine we can snag one of Jesper Fast, Namestikov, or Craig Smith for under $2mill
Heck, I still think we might be able to re-sign AA for under 2 on show-me deal.

I'd rather we stay away from guys over 30.

And stay away from Chucky. He's a coach killer everywhere he goes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad