Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Just caught this on FB -- no idea if its valid. Can anyone confirm?

"Russ Cohen just said on NHL radio that Gary Bettman would allow the Islanders to play at the Nassau Coliseum again as a bridge for a year if Belmont was guaranteed happening."

I think we've all speculated that we'd either stay at BC or 1yr/1yr NVMC and then Belmont.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

"Russ Cohen just said on NHL radio that Gary Bettman would allow the Islanders to play at the Nassau Coliseum again as a bridge for a year if Belmont was guaranteed happening."

Seems like a no-brainer.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Didn't he insinuate this kind of on Francesa last week too?

scott99

May 13, 2005

I would like that. Firstly, it would have meant the new area a is getting built. And secondly, it would be kinda fun spending a year at the old barn. I would be happy if it all plays out like this.

Now if the Isles lose the bid, I can’t see them going back to the Nassau Coliseum full time.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
He got engaged over the summer FYI

lkrwtf.gif

Reactions: nyisles and SI90

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Problem with the NVMC is i don't even think they have two locker rooms from what i heard. Or locker rooms with enough room. Something like that. But, Im down for that as a fan!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

We really don't need confirmation. It's just the most likely solution and the NHL is going to have to waive it's parameters for an NHL arena for a year or two.

Plus it's the best problem to have as it means Belmont is happening. I honestly don't care if the Isles play at MSG, Prudential Center, or Bridgeport for a year if Belmont becomes reality.

Reactions: Eberzal

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
We really don't need confirmation. It's just the most likely solution and the NHL is going to have to waive it's parameters for an NHL arena for a year or two.

Plus it's the best problem to have as it means Belmont is happening. I honestly don't care if the Isles play at MSG, Prudential Center, or Bridgeport for a year if Belmont becomes reality.
They could play at Eisenhower and I wouldn’t care :laugh:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If the Isles new home isn't ready for three years, I'm sure they could create a new lease @ Barclays to accommodate that....If they want to, of course, is an entirely different question.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thought most of you would find this amusing/interesting. Below is a passage from an interview a Seattle Sonics fan group did with Oak View Group CEO Tim Leiweke - Who you may know is the biggest player behind the Isles RFP proposal at Belmont.

The whole interview is about the new/renovated Key Arena in Seattle so it's said in that perspective, but Leiweke did have a massive dig at some friends back east...

"...We're spending $600 million. So I hope I'm not the idiot that spends 600 million and ultimately the NBA or the NHL don't work in our building and so we have Barclays Center or we have the old Phoenix building, please shoot me. Because after 38 years of doing this, if this is the conclusion after 600 million that we suddenly took ourselves out of the market for a third anchor tenant, we absolutely are the stupidest human beings on the face of the Earth ‘cause we just spent 600 million and couldn't reach our potential."

You can read the entire interview here: https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/12/10/16752926/nhl-success-could-pave-the-way-for-the-nbas-return

Reactions: nyisles

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Thought most of you would find this amusing/interesting. Below is a passage from an interview a Seattle Sonics fan group did with Oak View Group CEO Tim Leiweke - Who you may know is the biggest player behind the Isles RFP proposal at Belmont.

The whole interview is about the new/renovated Key Arena in Seattle so it's said in that perspective, but Leiweke did have a massive dig at some friends back east...

"...We're spending $600 million. So I hope I'm not the idiot that spends 600 million and ultimately the NBA or the NHL don't work in our building and so we have Barclays Center or we have the old Phoenix building, please shoot me. Because after 38 years of doing this, if this is the conclusion after 600 million that we suddenly took ourselves out of the market for a third anchor tenant, we absolutely are the stupidest human beings on the face of the Earth ‘cause we just spent 600 million and couldn't reach our potential."

You can read the entire interview here: https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/12/10/16752926/nhl-success-could-pave-the-way-for-the-nbas-return
And in the case of Barclays the amount of money spent is double. What an embarrassment.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

still have to deal with the Brooklyn people, and if they are going to see this new arena basically making the Coliseum invalid and probably hurting the Barclays Center as well, I am not sure they are willing to help them out

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And in the case of Barclays the amount of money spent is double. What an embarrassment.

Yes, but in fairness to Barclays/Ratner wang ****** that situation up as well. Remember that the original design for Barclays was a 2-sport arena (meaning 360-degree hockey views), but wang never considered talking with Ratner until he alienated and ****** up every other option and was left with no other choice.

You can be sure if Barclays/Ratner had the Isles on board since the development stages it would have been a 2-sport arena now.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yes, but in fairness to Barclays/Ratner wang ****** that situation up as well. Remember that the original design for Barclays was a 2-sport arena (meaning 360-degree hockey views), but wang never considered talking with Ratner until he alienated and ****** up every other option and was left with no other choice.

You can be sure if Barclays/Ratner had the Isles on board since the development stages it would have been a 2-sport arena now.

That is definitely mostly on Wang. He was preoccupied with his Lighthouse project and the Brooklyn guys thought he would never move there.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Oh I know. I’m just saying the whole thing is a shit show.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Yes, but the **** show is pretty much all on wang.
How do you fault a business man for trying to maximize his own assets (build his own stadium + ancillary real estate) v. being a JR partner in someone else's?

I know we all love the team, but Pro sports owners are typically in it to make $$. I have several issues with Wang decisions over the years, but trying to do his own arena / development vs. being a partner in Barclays isn't something I can fault him for and don't believe is worth piling onto his heap of sins...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How do you fault a business man for trying to maximize his own assets (build his own stadium + ancillary real estate) v. being a JR partner in someone else's?

I know we all love the team, but Pro sports owners are typically in it to make $$. I have several issues with Wang decisions over the years, but trying to do his own arena / development vs. being a partner in Barclays isn't something I can fault him for and don't believe is worth piling onto his heap of sins...

You're missing the point. I have zero problem with anyone trying to make as much money as possible. Maximize your assets and use the Islanders to get a good real estate deal. You have my blessing.

Here's the problem...

There are results, and there are excuses...And all wang and his supporters have are excuses, because he failed at every single level of Isles ownership. Had he gotten some version of the Lighthouse, or the new arena referendum, or got in bed with Ratner earlier to make Barclays a true 2-sport arena...Then I'd have a lot less problem with him. But literally every action wang took as owner was a failure - Both on ice and off.

So again I have no problem with wang, or any owner, trying to make money. However I have a massive problem with him having zero success in any regard and dragging my favorite team in the world through the mud as a result of his ineptitude.

wang's legacy as Isles owner is two failed arena projects, an arena with an SUV with better seats than fans, a subpar GM with DiPietro's contract, and barely more than a faint heartbeat of on-ice anything. At best his FIFTEEN years as owner was a total waste of time, but the truth it that it was also a massive embarrassment. Assuming Ledecky/Malkin do in 2 years what he couldn't do in 15, that should finally cement what the sad few remaining "wang saved the Islanders" lemmings should've admitted years ago - He was a total failure as Islanders owner and nothing more.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

Wang's attempts with the Lighthouse Project was the definition of insanity.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Bidders release Belmont plans at 'listening session'

'Posted December 12, 2017

By Tim Denton
Applause broke out at Elmont Memorial High School on Sunday as the two finalists for the development of Belmont Park announced plans to create thousands of temporary and permanent jobs as part of ambitious plans to develop the racing center further...

The club’s proposal for the site includes a 26,000-seat, open-air arena north of Hempstead Turnpike. South of the road, the team proposes to build a 435,000-square-foot retail village, a 5.2-acre public park and a two-acre soccer facility, which would be available for youth training programs.

The Islanders version includes an 18,000-seat, all-weather stadium, a 10,000-square-foot “innovation center,” 400,000 square feet of retail space and a 200- to 250-bed hotel. The stadium would be built north of Hempstead, while the area south of the turnpike would be dedicated primarily to the 7,000 additional parking spots the facility would require.

Both the Islanders and NYCFC representatives insisted that their proposals would require reopening the Long Island Rail Road’s Belmont Park Station on a permanent basis, ideally with a Park and Ride connection. The station is not located in Nassau County, however, according to Jeffrey Greenfield, chairman of the county’s Planning Commission. That, he said, would add one more hurdle to any possible negotiations with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, of which the LIRR is part...

Islanders owner Jonathon Ledecky
has said on a number of occasions that Belmont Park is his team’s only option. “There is no Plan B,” he told the Herald earlier this year...

Unlike the Islanders, NYCFC, which currently plays at Yankee Stadium, has explored a number of options in addition to the Elmont complex...Possible venues are said to include a property at the Harlem River Yards in the Motts Haven section of the Bronx currently owned by Empire State Development Corp., and two sites in the Willets Point section of Queens...'

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Mayor’s Message – December 13, 2017- Update on Village’s Response to Belmont Park Redevelopment Proposals

'Incorporated Village of Floral ParkOne Floral Boulevard, Floral Park, NY 11001

MAYOR
DOMINICK A LONGOBARDI

Mayor’s Message: December 13, 2017
There is an old saying, “the Devil is in the Details”. This certainly applies in the situation regarding the Economic Development Corporation’s (EDC) offer to accept ideas for the development of the property owned and controlled by New York State for development at Belmont Park. Once again our Village finds itself faced with the challenge of defending our beloved homes and businesses and the way of life we have come to enjoy from outside influences that may adversely affect us...

While everyone is working together, the bigger issue of a master plan for any development at Belmont Park that addresses all parties’ ideas and concerns is necessary. Development by NY State, NYRA and the concerns of the surrounding communities of Floral Park, Bellerose, Elmont, South Floral Park , Franklin Square, the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County and our friends on the Queens side all have to be addressed...

The Village is urging the EDC and NY State to take a step back and work towards a master plan for any development at Belmont Park with the input from all of those areas that are affected.
Ensuring the quality of life we have worked for and earned should not come at a price for such development. To that end, please find below, the submittal of 122 questions to the EDC regarding our concerns and issues... '

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad