Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I just called her out on twitter. She said "Dear Sir, your opinion is noted. Happy Holidays." Amazing how our tax dollars employ these idiots.

How much does a "state legislator" / Assemblywomen make a year?

The "you're full of ****" was a little much lol. We're trying to look like the good guys here!

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
The "you're full of ****" was a little much lol. We're trying to look like the good guys here!

Sorry, but she is. I don't crap on people for their opinion, but she is out there, with her demented brother, spewing LIES to her own constituents. The sheep out there protesting for Amazon, a Humidor or whatever lies their local reps are feeding them are being lied to.

They are being told that IF a high-tech company / Amazon comes to Belmont, they will all of a sudden get a high-paying job. It's moronic. I'm tired of corrupt Nassau politicians spreading this stupidity. The locals should be kissing the Isles ***** for bringing new $$ to Elmont. Those gas stations, bodegas, etc . . . are going to be making a TON more money. The property values surroudning the arena are going to increase. And lastly, the area is going to be MUCH nicer. Instead of a disgusting vacant lot, the Isles are going to build a state of the art arena, hotel, community center and PARKS.

Now I could understand the local outcries if an arena was being in the middle of Great Neck / Plainview / Manhasset or any other area where locals moved to with the expectation of living in a bubble surrounded by homes and not shops, traffic and arenas. Here, local live/ moved next to a freaking RACE TRACK and amongst the worst traffic in the world. It's mind numbing.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
When you look at the main concern as I've heard it -- (I tend to not give too much attention to people who are clueless)... The whole noise and inconvenience angle is complete nonsense.

If you look at the renderings of the Isles arena location from the meeting the other day,, you see the arena has the racetrack to the north --- LIRR and Cross Island to the west --- the "Paddock" and some parking to the east.. and Hempstead Turnpike and more parking to the south. There is not one location where the arena, or fans have direct impact to homes. There is some solid R19 insulation between the arena and people living locally.

There is some potential for people in homes on the southeast corner to have some noise from people going out to their cars after the game -- I get that -- but that is for probably 30 min after each game -- and unless its the playoffs, I doubt there would be any conflict. Traffic on 24 would be rough after the game, no doubt -- but again -- its 10-14k a night, not 60k-- so for an hour after each game it would be busy.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
When you look at the main concern as I've heard it -- (I tend to not give too much attention to people who are clueless)... The whole noise and inconvenience angle is complete nonsense.

If you look at the renderings of the Isles arena location from the meeting the other day,, you see the arena has the racetrack to the north --- LIRR and Cross Island to the west --- the "Paddock" and some parking to the east.. and Hempstead Turnpike and more parking to the south. There is not one location where the arena, or fans have direct impact to homes. There is some solid R19 insulation between the arena and people living locally.

There is some potential for people in homes on the southeast corner to have some noise from people going out to their cars after the game -- I get that -- but that is for probably 30 min after each game -- and unless its the playoffs, I doubt there would be any conflict. Traffic on 24 would be rough after the game, no doubt -- but again -- its 10-14k a night, not 60k-- so for an hour after each game it would be busy.

Agreed. And those people CHOSE to live across the street from a Racetrack.

Let's say Amazon built at Belmont. Could you imagine the 10-15K people leaving work everyday at 5:00?

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Absolutely wrong about Floral Park residents.
No it's pretty much true. I work in the tech sector, creating content for one of the largest Internet companies this side of Amazon and Google. Unless these communities are sitting on a hidden pool of undiscovered tech talent, none of the really high paying jobs will go to the community. It just doesn't work that way. The shortage of qualified workers is so acute that we actually pay a bounty to employees that can recruit talent. The company has often reached out abroad to fill positions it couldn't fill domestically. Yeah, there will be some office drone jobs, no better, and in some cases worse than what will be available in any other development (including the one we hope happens), but for the rest of it, they are chasing unicorns.

Last edited:

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
No it's pretty much true. I work in the tech sector, for one of the largest Internet companies this side of Amazon and Google. Unless these communities are sitting on a hidden pool of undiscovered tech talent, none of the really high paying jobs will go to the community. It just doesn't work that way. The shortage of qualified workers is so acute that we actually pay a bounty to employees that can recruit talent. The company has often reached out abroad to fill positions it couldn't fill domestically. Yeah, there will be some office drone jobs, no better, and in some cases worse than what will be available in any other development (including the one we hope happens), but for the rest of it, they are chasing unicorns.

Bingo. Your average Joe earning 40K a year isn't going to get a gig with said high-tech company and double his salary just because of a new building a few blocks from his home.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Agreed, but at the same time, can't blame DP too much. When I saw that quote I wasn't anywhere near a keyboard, and that's probably a good thing as my blood boiled. What, exactly, is it that she thinks we will do in front of their children? Comment served no purpose other than to incite.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Agreed, but at the same time, can't blame DP too much. When I saw that quote I wasn't anywhere near a keyboard, and that's probably a good thing as my blood boiled. What, exactly, is it that she thinks we will do in front of their children? Comment served no purpose other than to incite.

I know, I actually LOL'd when I read the tweet. The prepared political comment is asinine considering what already goes on at the racetrack: gambling, drinking, and the like.

But, that response would be the exact thing the pathetic loser of an assemblywoman would point out as evidence that the town doesn't need in front of the kids of Elmont/Floral Park. "These unruly hockey fans with their explicit language, see how they attacked me!"

We can bash her all we want here to vent the frustration, just don't give them anything to use against the Islanders and their fans.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Maybe she is just concerned about getting her car keyed? Seems like a valid concern with local hockey fans around...

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Bingo. Your average Joe earning 40K a year isn't going to get a gig with said high-tech company and double his salary just because of a new building a few blocks from his home.
The average household income in Floral Park is 105000, with 20% of the population holding graduate degrees or higher, with 10% of the population working in the tech/scientific sector, and 12% in finance.

So I certainly think there is employment potential if that sort of business moved to Belmont. That said, I obviously want an arena.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Around what I expected. Thank you.

Honest question, given that the residents want "high-paying" jobs, what development project would be most beneficial to the local residents. Any high-tech company or anything requiring specialized skills won't be filled by the locals. I just don't get it. What am I missing.

Tech companies moves in and hires young people at high wages, young people flock to the area, old people sell their homes and profit. That's the best they can hope for.

Agreed. And those people CHOSE to live across the street from a Racetrack.

Let's say Amazon built at Belmont. Could you imagine the 10-15K people leaving work everyday at 5:00?

I worked at an Amazon Fulfillment center for a little bit and the traffic it produced in an already small town was/is insane. It probably had more than 10-15,000 people working there though, but that many new employees at rush hour for an office job would certainly be bad for congestion.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
The average household income in Floral Park is 105000, with 20% of the population holding graduate degrees or higher, with 10% of the population working in the tech/scientific sector, and 12% in finance.

So I certainly think there is employment potential if that sort of business moved to Belmont. That said, I obviously want an arena.
The key word there is working. Tech talent is currently at full employment and then some. Anyone with the requisite skills can pretty much write their own ticket, today, with almost any employer in the NYC metro area. You might shift some jobs, but the people already working in the sector will be the ones occupying those. Tech is fleeing the island, and not flowing here, because the existing talent pool is too thin, and the cost of hiring those people that do live here given the competition available in the rest of the region is too high. The sad thing is that the people screaming loudest for those jobs, and who, honestly, need them most, are also unqualified to hold them. If they would get their way and the arena proposals would give way to "tech" development, the backlash when they found out that they are frozen out of those jobs anyway would make their protests over the arena pale in contrast.

Reactions: Eberzal

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Tech companies moves in and hires young people at high wages, young people flock to the area, old people sell their homes and profit. That's the best they can hope for.

I worked at an Amazon Fulfillment center for a little bit and the traffic it produced in an already small town was/is insane. It probably had more than 10-15,000 people working there though, but that many new employees at rush hour for an office job would certainly be bad for congestion.
What Amazon projects for HQ2, which is what they are hunting for right now, isn't 10-15K, but 50K. It would eat both Elmont and Floral Park.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I really like this post. I completely agree with most all you wrote here. Malkin is involved with some very high end vendors at his shopping plazas. They're actually called "shopping villages" and all feel like small European villages. Take a look:

Our Villages

Would be cool as heck if the shopping element of the development looked like this even if they had more blue-collar shops and restaurants. Brands like Armani just don't fit at Belmont as I can't see anyone in the local area shopping there nor people coming in from other areas (much less taking the LIRR) to Belmont for high-end shopping. It's just not enough of a destination.

I suspect that you'll find the tenants to be more like what Gulfstream Park has behind it's grandstand

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I'm not sure LI is a good idea for a least leg distribution center, but I know of some in BK and Queens so who knows.
If there was another way off the island besides the bridges and tunnels to the west and ferries to the east, it wouldn’t be so bad. They should’ve built that bridge at the end of the 135.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

Makes sense. And your first point is SPOT on. Those protesting aren't the ones that will get the jobs and most likely not the ones looking to sell their homes.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just caught this on FB -- no idea if its valid. Can anyone confirm?

"Russ Cohen just said on NHL radio that Gary Bettman would allow the Islanders to play at the Nassau Coliseum again as a bridge for a year if Belmont was guaranteed happening."

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

"Russ Cohen just said on NHL radio that Gary Bettman would allow the Islanders to play at the Nassau Coliseum again as a bridge for a year if Belmont was guaranteed happening."
I could very well see that.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

I was listening and yes he did say that. 1 more year at the barc. 1 year at the coliseum. Then the new place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad