Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
NM, I see a post above mine noted the additional 5,000 spots south of Hempstead Tpk.
Correct. The "horse race insider" article had a clipped picture of the site plan that only shows the 2,000 parking spaces north of Hempstead Tpk - it does not include the potential 5,000 additional spaces south of Hempstead Tpk. So there is room for 7,000 spaces total on the site plan. And I think there is additional overflow parking elsewhere on the site for busy times.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The Belmont stakes is scheduled for the first saturday at Belmont Park yearly.

Go on the website. We usually buy my father in law tickets VIP (he is big into the races) and parking for Christmas.
This is the first time I can remember that they are not available. Go to the site. You can put in your info for future news. No pricing. It is a bit telling

I've gone every year for the last 7, always bought at the gate and online recently. Interesting about the availability and pricing.

As a big fan of 'Toga and living there for 4 years at school, I'm pretty excited at the opportunity of a Belmont stakes up there.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I've gone every year for the last 7, always bought at the gate and online recently. Interesting about the availability and pricing.

As a big fan of 'Toga and living there for 4 years at school, I'm pretty excited at the opportunity of a Belmont stakes up there.

I was under the impression they would run at Aqueduct.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We are talking about NYS and some of the best business people in the world. I'm sure JT has been discussed between all parties at nauseum.

IF all signs are correct and NYS is going to award us Belmont, don't you think it would be prudent for NYS to award the bid well in advance of July 1 and hopefully the trade deadline so that their main tenant doesn't lose their star player.

The Isles at Belmont without JT will have 7-10K people at each game. It would be a disaster. I'm sure NYS is well aware.
DiPietro from your lips to God's Ears. I admit I have a healthy dose of skepticism in me.

Spano
Millstein
Milbury
Wang
Murray
Barclays

Need I go on?

I could buy a car on the purchase price of isles related tums I've consumed

Last edited:
Reactions: Bones45 and SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was under the impression they would run at Aqueduct.
I heard opening the Saratoga meet 1 month early and hosting the Belmont Stakes during the renovation period is on the table.

I don’t think Aqueduct has the ability to host a major event anymore given the reduced size of the grandstand there.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The track winterization has nothing to do with the Islanders. It just enables the Islanders to get started when they want.

Environmental is done.

Everyone is worried about lawsuits. They can sue the state. That doesn't stop work. There is barely opposition. This isn't high powered Garden City residents standing up and threatening politicians votes.
So shovels in the ground April 2018 - 20 months from that November 2019?

Belmont 2019/2020

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If that should happen, then good riddance. New owners + new building + one of the best teams in the league and he still doesn't want to stay . . . If we are awarded the RFP before the deadline and he won't re-sign and tells managment he still hasn't made up his mind, I am trading him.

100% correct. If we get a new building and he still doesn't want to stay then whether it's his fiancee or anything else, nothing will change his mind and he must be traded.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Belmont stakes is scheduled for the first saturday at Belmont Park yearly.

Go on the website. We usually buy my father in law tickets VIP (he is big into the races) and parking for Christmas.
This is the first time I can remember that they are not available. Go to the site. You can put in your info for future news. No pricing. It is a bit telling

If that's all true then that is really something. Also surprised more people aren't talking about that since you can't be the only one wanting to buy advance Belmont tickets.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
100% correct. If we get a new building and he still doesn't want to stay then whether it's his fiancee or anything else, nothing will change his mind and he must be traded.
agreed but im of the opinion that the issue with his fiancee is only with the idea of inconveniencing her unnecessarily. She knew he was in New York when they started dating and my understanding is she's already had preliminary talks with NYU Winthrop university hospital. its speculation from there, but its logical to assume he doesnt want her to need to resettle here and then uproot herself again.

its easier just to wait until he knows where he'll be long term

I do think his engagement is a valid consideration, unlike some who continue to discount it as totally meaningless, but I do not think it is the primary consideration. just one of many that soon to be married couples face

given Johns value systems, which he's demonstrated quite clearly over the years id expect nothing less of him

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I love JT and I probably rate him higher than most. Nothing would give me more joy than to have him an islander for life. But I agree 100%
I’d he doesn’t re-sign at that point then the writing is on the wall because there’s nothing else to complain about. He can write his own check so it’s not money. It would be for reasons that he has already made his mind up.

Judging from what the way inferior Duchene got we could reshape our whole team by trading Tavares.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Or how about just The Arena Thread?

I was thinking more along the lines of,...

"Once Belmont is approved it will officially show what an inept turd wang was and why he never saved the Isles from anything - Rather just embarrassed the entire organization for 15 years and only delayed getting a new arena which these new owners did with no problem in 2 years."

Good?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
So shovels in the ground April 2018 - 20 months from that November 2019?

Belmont 2019/2020

mark my words, it is not going to take 20 months from the shovels in the ground, every arena I have read is taking a minimum of 2 1/2 years

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Apparently, all of you "I'll breathe a sigh of relief when the shovels are in the ground" folk haven't been Islander fans for too long.

I keep thinking it would be such an Islander thing for... "shovel in the ground" to reveal an archeological significant native american site or the ruins of Atlantis...

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Apparently, all of you "I'll breathe a sigh of relief when the shovels are in the ground" folk haven't been Islander fans for too long.

I keep thinking it would be such an Islander thing for... "shovel in the ground" to reveal an archeological significant native american site or the ruins of Atlantis...

lol, sort of like poltergeist II

Reactions: IODCPiper

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
While Amazon rally at Elmont last Sunday was a circus, the following allegations will be tougher to deal with.

Belmont Park development would greatly impact village: Floral Park mayor - The Island Now

'
By Rebecca Klar
-
December 6, 2017

Development at Belmont Park would affect everything the Village of Floral Park does, Mayor Dominick Longobardi said at Tuesday’s board meeting.
Longobardi and Deputy Mayor Kevin Fitzgerald attended a meeting on Nov. 28 with the Empire State Development Corp. where development plans were discussed, Fitzgerald said.
There will be a public meeting on 4:30 p.m. on Sunday at Elmont High School, hosted by state Sens. Elaine Phillips, Todd Kaminsky and Leroy Comrie...

Fitzgerald said the board has reached out to the Islanders only to be informed that the team owners cannot speak to village officials while the application is pending.
“We are asking them once again to meet with us so they can listen directly to our concerns on how an arena can have significant adverse effects on the daily lives of our residents of Floral Park,” Fitzgerald said...'

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It really bothers me how people can be so against progress and development. Forget the fact that I’m an islanders fan for a second. Why not develop an area that’s a giant waste of space right now? Not only that, it creates jobs and will bring in money. I’ll never understand these people.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
While Amazon rally at Elmont last Sunday was a circus, the following allegations will be tougher to deal with.

Belmont Park development would greatly impact village: Floral Park mayor - The Island Now

'
By Rebecca Klar
-
December 6, 2017

Development at Belmont Park would affect everything the Village of Floral Park does, Mayor Dominick Longobardi said at Tuesday’s board meeting.
Longobardi and Deputy Mayor Kevin Fitzgerald attended a meeting on Nov. 28 with the Empire State Development Corp. where development plans were discussed, Fitzgerald said.
There will be a public meeting on 4:30 p.m. on Sunday at Elmont High School, hosted by state Sens. Elaine Phillips, Todd Kaminsky and Leroy Comrie...

Fitzgerald said the board has reached out to the Islanders only to be informed that the team owners cannot speak to village officials while the application is pending.
“We are asking them once again to meet with us so they can listen directly to our concerns on how an arena can have significant adverse effects on the daily lives of our residents of Floral Park,” Fitzgerald said...'
The Amazon rally wasn’t a circus. It was a ZERO. It was a NON-ISSUE.

You do like to sound the alarm bells. It seems like you’re looking for any reason for Belmont to fail.

Last edited:

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
It really bothers me how people can be so against progress and development. Forget the fact that I’m an islanders fan for a second. Why not develop an area that’s a giant waste of space right now? Not only that, it creates jobs and will bring in money. I’ll never understand these people.

Yup.

For an explanation, see:

9780674015951-lg.jpg

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
The Amazon rally wasn’t a circus. It was a ZERO. It was a NON-ISSUE.

You do like to sound the alarm bells. It seems like you’re looking for any reason for Belmont to fail.

I loved the pictures of the "rally." A bunch of disinterested people halfheartedly holding up signs.

I said it in the business thread. This is the mayor and deputy mayor with their hands out trying to weasel a kickback out of everyone. It is the typical Nassau County way. I highly doubt the parties involved are concerned about these dopes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad