Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
I was wondering if and when Seabiscuit was going to show back up. He certainly didn’t disappoint.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Nassau can't stop the state (NYRA) from doing what they wanted to do on their own land . .

Do you own property? Build a 4 story parking garage in your front yard, and let the town/county you live in know you're doing it. Let me know how that works out for you.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Do you own property? Build a 4 story parking garage in your front yard, and let the town/county you live in know you're doing it. Let me know how that works out for you.
There is a difference. In your example, the town is still the AHJ. They are in charge of compliance with local codes, zoning laws etc.

In Belmont’s case, New York State is the AHJ. Their rules, their inspectors etc. It’s something I run into routinely with state, interstate and federal agencies who do not have to follow NYC specific codes on their buildings in the city.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
There is a difference. In your example, the town is still the AHJ. They are in charge of compliance with local codes, zoning laws etc.

In Belmont’s case, New York State is the AHJ. Their rules, their inspectors etc. It’s something I run into routinely with state, interstate and federal agencies who do not have to follow NYC specific codes on their buildings in the city.

Kind of like Nassau County was AHJ when the Town of Hempstead put the kebosh on the LHP? A project this big effects all levels of local government, everyone will have a say, everyone will want something out of it. Then you've got NGO's that will absolutely get involved. All you need is one jackhole saying there is an endangered species of bait fish in a nearby body of water to delay the whole thing for years. Surely if you deal with this stuff you have sat in on any kind of Resident Review meeting.... it's as scary as it is fascinating.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I just want to temper everyone expectations.... people seem to think once the RFP is approved, it's smooth sailing. The reality is, we're planning a trip halfway around the world. Applying for the RFP is like putting your shoes on.... there are a million milestones that need to be reached yet, and tons of things that can go wrong.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Kind of like Nassau County was AHJ when the Town of Hempstead put the kebosh on the LHP? A project this big effects all levels of local government, everyone will have a say, everyone will want something out of it. Then you've got NGO's that will absolutely get involved. All you need is one jackhole saying there is an endangered species of bait fish in a nearby body of water to delay the whole thing for years. Surely if you deal with this stuff you have sat in on any kind of Resident Review meeting.... it's as scary as it is fascinating.
No. Nassau was not the AHJ. TOH was in charge of code compliance, zoning etc. that’s not the case here.

There’s not likely to be too much issue in terms of the environmental review since the entire lot is just a concrete mess right now. The biggest issue that should arise is traffic.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
No. Nassau was not the AHJ. TOH was in charge of code compliance, zoning etc. that’s not the case here.

You're right

There’s not likely to be too much issue in terms of the environmental review since the entire lot is just a concrete mess right now. The biggest issue that should arise is traffic.

Everything should go according to plan then.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Thanks, thankfully I was able to make everything work out for the better.

Hope it’s all good now - and btw love the avatar

Thanks. They'll be alright.

Sorry to hear about that, but hopefully things are better now.

That said, seems to me that Elmont is far from a neighborhood that people seek out to live. A good development project should only increase home values which one would think Elmont residents would want.

At the same time I'm guessing most of them are "lifers" so increased home values wouldn't mean much to them vs the (perceived) "inconvenience" of more traffic in the area.

Elmont has a much different makeup and history from the rest of LI.

Elmont today is very diverse. A lot of immigrant middle class (from all over the world) and large working-middle class families buy homes in Elmont because well, it's not like the rest of LI.

Yes, there are "lifers" but honestly I think most of them don't have much time left, and their kids won't have much interest in being absentee landlords. So they'll want to see property values rise. Many of them rent out rooms and/or illegal apartments (it seems to have become the norm in Elmont), and FT rail service would create a higher demand.

The problem Elmont will have with this project (or really any community issue) is its diversity. There is no unified Elmont community/civic association like in other communities. There are a lot of renters, which leads to a more transient community. Also, immigrants don't really get involved in local affairs the same way lifers do.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thanks, thankfully I was able to make everything work out for the better.

Thanks. They'll be alright.

Elmont today is very diverse. A lot of immigrant middle class (from all over the world) and large working-middle class families buy homes in Elmont because well, it's not like the rest of LI.

Yes, there are "lifers" but honestly I think most of them don't have much time left, and their kids won't have much interest in being absentee landlords. So they'll want to see property values rise. Many of them rent out rooms and/or illegal apartments (it seems to have become the norm in Elmont), and FT rail service would create a higher demand.

The problem Elmont will have with this project (or really any community issue) is its diversity. There is no unified Elmont community/civic association like in other communities. There are a lot of renters, which leads to a more transient community. Also, immigrants don't really get involved in local affairs the same way lifers do.
I grew up in Queens Village. I roller skated at Wal Cliffe, fed the animals at Gouz, my mom shopped at Great Eastern Mills (now Home Depot) and my uncle taught me how to bet the horses at Belmont. I’ve always thought of Elmont as 2 different sections. The area near King Umberto’s south of Hempstead Tpk which is still where you’ll find the “lifers” and the area closer to the track whose changes kind of mirrored that of Queens Village. Sort of a starter home neighborhood. I think a project like this RFP could pull the community together. Give them some more entertainement options that used to be in Elmont but disappeared over the years. A project like this could help a neighborhood start a rebound.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I lived in Cambria Heights until fifth grade. I remember Gouz. "Gouz rhymes with Cows" Our house was one block from the Queens Nassau border. Sometimes we would attend Mass at St Boniface (I think that was the church) There was a great Pizza place nearby I want to say Kings Pizza but not sure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I lived in Cambria Heights until fifth grade. I remember Gouz. "Gouz rhymes with Cows" Our house was one block from the Queens Nassau border. Sometimes we would attend Mass at St Boniface (I think that was the church) There was a great Pizza place nearby I want to say Kings Pizza but not sure.
King Umberto’s? Hempstead Tpk and Meacham Av. It’s still there.

Reactions: beach

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York

That's all well and good, but they will have very little say in the matter regardless.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I grew up in Queens Village. I roller skated at Wal Cliffe, fed the animals at Gouz, my mom shopped at Great Eastern Mills (now Home Depot) and my uncle taught me how to bet the horses at Belmont. I’ve always thought of Elmont as 2 different sections. The area near King Umberto’s south of Hempstead Tpk which is still where you’ll find the “lifers” and the area closer to the track whose changes kind of mirrored that of Queens Village. Sort of a starter home neighborhood. I think a project like this RFP could pull the community together. Give them some more entertainement options that used to be in Elmont but disappeared over the years. A project like this could help a neighborhood start a rebound.

Kids in Elmont go to three different high schools (Elmont Memorial, Sewanakah, VS North) and that's how I thought of it (I've actually lived in all three in my life.)

No I see there are seven separate civic associations in Elmont (I thought there were just three.) That actually makes sense historically, too bad some people won't understand that time goes on. There could have been a unified Elmont.

As far as the community, It would have to agree on something a little less vague than, "something for the children!"

St. Boniface by Elmont Memorial. That spot doesn't have one decent spot to eat anymore. I think there's still a hole in the wall pizza place, last time I was there I should've saved my money and asked for the box it would've tasted the same.

That's all well and good, but they will have very little say in the matter regardless.

Cool. My post was replying to the myth of Elmont not being a desirable neighborhood.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

Google mapped it. It wasn't King Umberto's. I remember it being right near by almost next door. Probably long gone we're talking 1968/1972!!! Church looks the same.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
But what if they launch a lawsuit against NYS for bringing the Isles at Belmont?
And what would be the basis for this suit? Can’t sue the state just because “ we don’t like it” and courts are not tolerating frivolous suits so much.....I am quite sure the legality of what NYS is planning at Belmont will have been looked into ahead of time. It’s not like the state is taking pristine forest, untouched by humans, and putting in an industrial complex, killing off all kinds of rare species of fauna and flora.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
And what would be the basis for this suit? Can’t sue the state just because “ we don’t like it” and courts are not tolerating frivolous suits so much.....I am quite sure the legality of what NYS is planning at Belmont will have been looked into ahead of time. It’s not like the state is taking pristine forest, untouched by humans, and putting in an industrial complex, killing off all kinds of rare species of fauna and flora.

Fair enough. However, https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/Belmont_Addendum3_QA.PDF

'1 When and where will there be an opportunity for community input?

On July 10, 2017, prior to the release of the RFP, ESD attended a community listening session for the redevelopment of Belmont Park. Feedback from this session was recorded and incorporated by ESD into the RFP. Future opportunities for community input will arise during a public process which will include public hearings and public meetings...

49 The RFP refers to “zoning overrides” a few times. Does this mean “variances”, and will the designated developer have to go to the Hempstead Town Zoning Board for such variances? Or will the state be issuing building permits and variances and if so, which State agency?

ESD has the authority to override zoning per the UDC Act. A General Project Plan will be required that sets forth the replacement zoning and does not require review or approval by the Town Zoning Board. However, as part of the zoning process, ESD will engage in consultation with the Town of Hempstead regarding the override. As per p. 7 of the RFP, any development on the Site will be subject to New York State building codes.'

While TOH will have literally no say, its residents very well might, particularly those from Elmont and Floral Park.

On another note, how much will it cost to build an LIRR double rail spur from Belmont Park to Bellerose?
lirr-map1.gif

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I really wish some of you would go to one of these community meetings. It's almost as funny as it is scary. It will open your eyes to why things never get done in Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad