Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
The consensus of the locals who went to the listening session at the Elmont Library in July was they were against the arena, and there was no single idea that they could get behind. Their ideas were all over the place.
There has been no single idea that people have been able to get behind for a long time. That’s a large part of the problem.

Reactions: MJF

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Put a Home Depot, Starbucks and Bed Bath and Beyond next to the arena and Long Islanders will come in droves. :laugh:

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
anyone know what the general consensus is of the people in Belmont and the surrounding area about the arena and the other projects that may follow? are they already against it?
Floral Park and Bellerose seem to be almost unanimously against just about anything happening. Elmont seems to be split in half, many people for the arena just want to see "something" happen, especially if it brings full-time LIRR service.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Floral Park and Bellerose seem to be almost unanimously against just about anything happening. Elmont seems to be split in half, many people for the arena just want to see "something" happen, especially if it brings full-time LIRR service.
Full time LIRR service is a big cookie for the community. It should soothe a lot of hurt feelings. Excellent point.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Full time LIRR service is a big cookie for the community. It should soothe a lot of hurt feelings. Excellent point.

Lack of reliable transit was the main reason I moved out of Elmont.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I'm still waiting for an LIRR station in West Islip!~ The Zeus factory has been abandoned for years (its also contaminated with all sorts of nasty crap . . . . but that's another story . . . ) A nice 5 minute walk to the train would be perfect!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm still waiting for an LIRR station in West Islip!~ The Zeus factory has been abandoned for years (its also contaminated with all sorts of nasty crap . . . . but that's another story . . . ) A nice 5 minute walk to the train would be perfect!

Talk about a NIMBY town, there is no chance that'll happen there. Babylon wouldn't be too bad if they fixed the parking situation.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The consensus of the locals who went to the listening session at the Elmont Library in July was they were against the arena, and there was no single idea that they could get behind. Their ideas were all over the place.

I think the only way you could get the average human being to get behind a cure for cancer is if it meant the solution took place far away, they didn't have to spend a cent, and could just lay on their couch.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

So then Ledecky/Malkin need to square away full-time LIRR service and let that be the locomotive that drives this proposal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So then Ledecky/Malkin need to square away full-time LIRR service and let that be the locomotive that drives this proposal.
That will probably come after ESD announces who won the bid. The RFP calls for the winner to work with the MTA on improvements to the spur.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That will probably come after ESD announces who won the bid. The RFP calls for the winner to work with the MTA on improvements to the spur.

I know, but even so they need to promise the residents of Elmont that their goal is to bring full-time service to the LIRR station there. Make it seem as if that's equally as important as the arena if not more.

The state/LIRR can still squash that, but perception is reality and you want the residents on your side.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Random tidbit - at the BSE Gala at Barclays:

Also among those enjoying the view was Dmitry Razumov, CEO of Onexim Group, part of the ownership organization of Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment, who was talking with Jon Ledecky, a majority owner of the New York Islanders

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...enter-scooter-braun-shine-light-brooklyn-gala

Dmitry is Prokhorov’s right hand man who was in charge of basketball ops until recently. I wonder if Ledecky and Malkin would consider purchasing a piece of the Nets, maybe in conjunction with Barclays itself...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It was an unfortunate sequence of events leading me to move in with family.

Sorry to hear about that, but hopefully things are better now.

That said, seems to me that Elmont is far from a neighborhood that people seek out to live. A good development project should only increase home values which one would think Elmont residents would want.

At the same time I'm guessing most of them are "lifers" so increased home values wouldn't mean much to them vs the (perceived) "inconvenience" of more traffic in the area.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Random tidbit - at the BSE Gala at Barclays:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...enter-scooter-braun-shine-light-brooklyn-gala

Dmitry is Prokhorov’s right hand man who was in charge of basketball ops until recently. I wonder if Ledecky and Malkin would consider purchasing a piece of the Nets, maybe in conjunction with Barclays itself...

I love the internet. That we have enough fans out there to bring nuggets like this to the table is great.

That said zero chance Ledecky/Malkin want to buy any portion of the Nets...Unless they can bring the Nets with them to Belmont.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I love the internet. That we have enough fans out there to bring nuggets like this to the table is great.

That said zero chance Ledecky/Malkin want to buy any portion of the Nets...Unless they can bring the Nets with them to Belmont.
Notice how Prokhorov has only put the Nets up for sale. He’s not offering up a piece of BSE, Barclays Center, or any interest in the high rises being built over the arena.

Team ownership is no longer the way to go. Arena ownership and everything on the property is.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
When people look back at this Barclays Center adventure they are going to remark how this fanbase bungled the greatest opportunity ever presented to a sports team . Here is the Islanders, bottom or close to bottom in attendance for 26 years in row at Nassau, Cap floor team became a CAP MAX TEAM with a few signatures on a contract with Barclays. How long would have it taken for the Islanders to go from cap floor to cap max on their own? This huge item should be the focus of the Isles fanbase, not off center jumbotrons.

It is like the Islanders were moved from suburban section 8 housing to an urban penthouse. Yet the fanbase hated it! Why did they hate it? The chandelier was not centered over the dinner table and the they could not see the TV from the chaise lounge. Their teams rival owned the main media organs in their area and crammed it down their throats day after day and they ate it right up.

So whats next? The same rival owner (who is in a massive battle with their new digs) is going to finance a move back to the section 8 housing. Where the fanbase failed support the team for 26 years. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that an isolated suburban arena is going increase a fanbase that has been in retreat for three decades. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over n over and expecting a different result. For the Islanders, 26 years of bad attendance confirmed everything you need to know about belmont park.

What I have I learned here? The power of perception. The reason Dolan owns Newsday is to control perception and he wields it to control this fanbase to suit his business needs. The masses aware or this? They are totally and completely oblivious, in fact they rationalize each and every one of Dolan's moves. Have to take my hat off to him for controlling this fanbase.

Reactions: Konk

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
When people look back at this Barclays Center adventure they are going to remark how this fanbase bungled the greatest opportunity ever presented to a sports team . Here is the Islanders, bottom or close to bottom in attendance for 26 years in row at Nassau, Cap floor team became a CAP MAX TEAM with a few signatures on a contract with Barclays. How long would have it taken for the Islanders to go from cap floor to cap max on their own? This huge item should be the focus of the Isles fanbase, not off center jumbotrons.

It is like the Islanders were moved from suburban section 8 housing to an urban penthouse. Yet the fanbase hated it! Why did they hate it? The chandelier was not centered over the dinner table and the they could not see the TV from the chaise lounge. Their teams rival owned the main media organs in their area and crammed it down their throats day after day and they ate it right up.

So whats next? The same rival owner (who is in a massive battle with their new digs) is going to finance a move back to the section 8 housing. Where the fanbase failed support the team for 26 years. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that an isolated suburban arena is going increase a fanbase that has been in retreat for three decades. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over n over and expecting a different result. For the Islanders, 26 years of bad attendance confirmed everything you need to know about belmont park.

What I have I learned here? The power of perception. The reason Dolan owns Newsday is to control perception and he wields it to control this fanbase to suit his business needs. The masses aware or this? They are totally and completely oblivious, in fact they rationalize each and every one of Dolan's moves. Have to take my hat off to him for controlling this fanbase.

I know responding to you is useless but I am going to do it anyway...

Forget Dolan, why would Ledecky and Malkin make a bad move for the franchise and themselves? Your logic is illogical.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006

Hahahahahaha.

Reactions: Svengoolie

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

:laugh::huh::dunno::facepalm::deadhorse:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad