Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2374971

Same rules apply.

Here's the deal, I'm going to make this simple.

1. Stop talking about users, who you think they are or aren't. Leave that to the Mod team.

Use the ignore feature, it is your friend. If you can't do it, we'll do it for you.

2. Stop attacking one another!!!

3. We're open to everyone having their opinion, but if you can't do it civilly you'll be thread banned. We're not going to allow this to become a circus like it has in the past.

4. Opinions are allowed, but should be set in some sort of fact or at the very least make sure you mark it as speculation, and not as fact.

If you can't adhere to these rules in addition to the site rules, you won't last long in this thread.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
People generally choose their teams based on convenience. If the team is close to where you live that's who you end up rooting for.

The Islanders are not the Edmonton Oilers where fans will routinely drive 4 hours to see them play. Being the 4th sport in the NYC market and the 2nd most popular hockey team in that market creates for the Islanders a handicap that most other teams don't have. And no matter how long they stay in this area they will never be as popular as the NY Rangers.

Unless the Rangers were to hire Milbury as their GM. Have them go through some serious dark days. Although, they'll always have the casual fan and the people who just go to the game cause they're in NYC and it's something to do.

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Part 6. Crowing board achievement or the perfect example of internet patheticness?

And some said this thread wasn't needed! **Gasp**

Doesn't the last word of your post need a hard "K" sound?

You really not coming to the big event on Sunday? Should make for an interesting day!

Enigmatic -- you coming?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Are we really going to pretend that Hempstead isn't a ****hole? I'd certainly feel much safer walking around Park Slope than driving through Linden Triangle in Hempstead.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
And some said this thread wasn't needed! **Gasp**

Doesn't the last word of your post need a hard "K" sound?

You really not coming to the big event on Sunday? Should make for an interesting day!

Enigmatic -- you coming?

Not going. I was just out there last weekend to visit my folks. If I make the trip out there more than once a month, I start to hate myself.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
On a scale of 1-10, how successful have the Islanders been to date of attracting new NYC based fans since their move to Brooklyn?

I give them a 2.

I dont know of any actual new converts or fresh hockey fans, but i do know of some NYC based non hockey Fans who have gone to single games for fun just because it's a cheaper alternative to MSG.

If you asked me this before the move, I would have predicted it around a 4... but the marketing has been poor. The team has been good enough that I would treat on ice product as neutral. The game day experience is poor compared to other NHL arenas I've been to. I also think brooklyn is fast proving to be a bad hockey market for a second NYC team. It's too close to MSG to shake Rangers allegiances and the population moving into Brooklyn are more interested in the National than the Nationsl Hockey League.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
On a scale of 1-10, how successful have the Islanders been to date of attracting new NYC based fans since their move to Brooklyn?

I give them a 2.

I dont know of any actual new converts or fresh hockey fans, but i do know of some NYC based non hockey Fans who have gone to single games for fun just because it's a cheaper alternative to MSG.

If you asked me this before the move, I would have predicted it around a 4... but the marketing has been poor. The team has been good enough that I would treat on ice product as neutral. The game day experience is poor compared to other NHL arenas I've been to. I also think brooklyn is fast proving to be a bad hockey market for a second NYC team. It's too close to MSG to shake Rangers allegiances and the population moving into Brooklyn are more interested in the National than the Nationsl Hockey League.

The on ice product has been good enough?! They were dead last in the Eastern Conference halfway through the season last year.

Converts don't happen overnight and I'm not sure why you would think it does. Allegiance to the Rangers is a non-issue. There are plenty of people who don't have a team to get. Many of you are so hung up on being in the Rangers' backyard. News flash, I'd easily bet there are more Rangers fans on Long Island than there are Islanders fans.

What other arenas have you been to? I've been to a bunch and it's not much different at all. It's fun when the team is winning and boring when they're losing.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Our Ranger envy is embarrassing and one major reason why I hate a majority of Islander fans. Maybe because I am a Yankees fan and I laugh at the silliness of most Met fans. The fact is I rooted for the Mets in the World Series and really loved that pitching line up. Most real sane Rangers fans are Hockey fans. I had Ranger fan friends call me and root for us when we played Pitts, Caps and Florida. They all wish Tavares was a Ranger.

We need to move on past that.. The fact is we fail to realize one key factor. "IF WE BEAT THEM, THEY WILL COME"

I dont care about obstructed seats, the place would of been a sellout and just as loud as Nashville if we went to the cup finals and to say No is only proving your age and your ignorance.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Couldn't agree more with PK and Dutch, and couldn't have said it better myself.

NY is full of casual fans - ones who root for any team doing well. A great number of the same folks rooting for the Mets in 2015 are the same clamoring for the Yankees this year. I was fortunate enough to be at the islanders game 6 win at Barclays a couple of years ago and that place was as loud as I've ever heard a hockey rink.

The only real argument everyone is having is motivated by personal preference - LI'ers liked the commute to Nassau more than the commute to Brooklyn so they like LI more. And that's perfectly understandable, as I live 20 mins walking distance from Barclays. But let's call a spade a spade.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The on ice product has been good enough?! They were dead last in the Eastern Conference halfway through the season last year.

Converts don't happen overnight and I'm not sure why you would think it does. Allegiance to the Rangers is a non-issue. There are plenty of people who don't have a team to get. Many of you are so hung up on being in the Rangers' backyard. News flash, I'd easily bet there are more Rangers fans on Long Island than there are Islanders fans.

What other arenas have you been to? I've been to a bunch and it's not much different at all. It's fun when the team is winning and boring when they're losing.

They won a playoff series and made a late bid for a playoff spot. It's arguably the best 2 year run we've had since 1993 :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Ranger fan saturation matters in the short term, if you want to look a generation out, it matters less.

been to Denver, Tampa, MSG, Pittsburgh, NVMC, Prudential, Izod, and Barclays. The only one of those I think was worse than Barclays was Izod.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Our Ranger envy is embarrassing and one major reason why I hate a majority of Islander fans. Maybe because I am a Yankees fan and I laugh at the silliness of most Met fans. The fact is I rooted for the Mets in the World Series and really loved that pitching line up. Most real sane Rangers fans are Hockey fans. I had Ranger fan friends call me and root for us when we played Pitts, Caps and Florida. They all wish Tavares was a Ranger.

We need to move on past that.. The fact is we fail to realize one key factor. "IF WE BEAT THEM, THEY WILL COME"

I dont care about obstructed seats, the place would of been a sellout and just as loud as Nashville if we went to the cup finals and to say No is only proving your age and your ignorance.

You think it would have been like Nashville? at Barclays Center?

Post of the year

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
You think it would have been like Nashville?

Post of the year

ABSOLUTELY!!! our chants, our screams would of been rocking. They wouldnt care if they sat in an obstrcuted view, I am watching the cup finals live and you better believe outside of barclays would of been crowded with fans also with the NHL setting up something in Prospect Park also for fans to watch for free.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
ABSOLUTELY!!! our chants, our screams would of been rocking. They wouldnt care if they sat in an obstrcuted view, I am watching the cup finals live and you better believe outside of barclays would of been crowded with fans also with the NHL setting up something in Prospect Park also for fans to watch for free.

This is Kool Aid.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They won a playoff series and made a late bid for a playoff spot. It's arguably the best 2 year run we've had since 1993 :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Ranger fan saturation matters in the short term, if you want to look a generation out, it matters less.

been to Denver, Tampa, MSG, Pittsburgh, NVMC, Prudential, Izod, and Barclays. The only one of those I think was worse than Barclays was Izod.

I'm just going to try and not comment on this anymore because it's obvious that a rational discussion cannot happen. My questions are never answered and there's a clear double standard when discussing the arena situation.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I don't quite understand what the end game was with this scheme. Can anyone break it down in a simple manner for the laymen? I'm just thinking how incredibly dumb every action was when I read about it.

Yeah I don't get it either. They couldn't possibly have thought they'd get away with it, right? I mean, I guess their goal was the con people out of money and then pay everyone back later on with the money they stole (which is essentially what a Ponzi scheme is) without anyone knowing once they were satisfied/Carton paid off his debts. Or maybe they thought they'd eventually get the tickets and sell them for the prices they thought and they'd pay everyone back that way? I'm just not sure. It seems like the dumbest idea ever and the fact it didn't last long shows just that.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Not going. I was just out there last weekend to visit my folks. If I make the trip out there more than once a month, I start to hate myself.

I understand -- my parents are in Bellmore -- when I go to visit, my anger towards Nassau and everything in it increases.

As people like to do here, lets look at the facts, k?

Why wouldn't we be envious of the Rangers?

1 - Successful seasons? Check
2- Nice, modern arena? Check
3- Tons of resources for signing players? Check
4- Playing in an ideal location? Check
5- Desired location to play? Check
5- Stable mgmt and coaching? Check!

We have NONE OF THAT! ****ING ZERO!!! When MSG had to be refurbed, you think they had to jump through hoops? I doubt it. Yankees, same thing. New stadium was JUST DONE.

I hate the Rangers, but would give my left nut to get some of items on that list resolved for the Isles. So yeah-- the envy of the Rangers is completely valid.

Many Rangers fans are still toolbags though.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
This is Kool Aid.

Wrong, Kool Aid is believing that Nassau Coliseum was a sellout nightly with our allstar line ups drafted by the brilliant Garth Snow and the NHL is conspiring against us cause they believe Crosby and Ovechkin are far more profitable in ratings.

Kool aid is believing that Nassau County wants us back only to be in constant RFP bidding war with Home Depot or the MTA.

This fan base has been kicked in the face repeadetly and if there was a game 7 cup final at Barclays the tickets would easily surpass a thousand dollars on stub hub. You would gladly pay for it cause your only joy has been seeing Eric Cairns beat Corson in a game 6.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York

I give them a 2.

Since there are very few there to actually convert, the grade would be "incomplete."

The isles already have a fan base. While new ones are always welcome, of course, the few new ones should come here, rather than we go there and join the few.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The game day experience is poor compared to other NHL arenas I've been to.

How is the game day experience at other arenas, especially NVMC, better than Barclays? You keep preaching that all you go for is the hockey and could care less about the bells and whistles. So please explain what you've "experienced" at other arenas, aside from the hockey, that you enjoyed so much?

I've been to over a dozen NHL arenas. And you know what? The "experience" is the same crap at all of them. People sit and watch the game. They yell for goals and when the jumbotron tells them too. Bad rock music plays during stoppages. Overpriced food and beer. Go to Europe if you want "experience" and "atmosphere" in an arena.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Did attendance spike after that '93 run at the Coliseum? Nope.

Why do you constantly hold Barclays attendance to a higher standard than the Coliseum?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Wrong, Kool Aid is believing that Nassau Coliseum was a sellout nightly with our allstar line ups drafted by the brilliant Garth Snow and the NHL is conspiring against us cause they believe Crosby and Ovechkin are far more profitable in ratings.

Kool aid is believing that Nassau County wants us back only to be in constant RFP bidding war with Home Depot or the MTA.

This fan base has been kicked in the face repeadetly and if there was a game 7 cup final at Barclays the tickets would easily surpass a thousand dollars on stub hub. You would gladly pay for it cause your only joy has been seeing Eric Cairns beat Corson in a game 6.

The difference is you are spewing this craziness while I don't see anyone on the boards saying the things you cited...

There's no shot the average fan would end up spending $1K on stub hub for barclays Stanley Cup tickets. Thats a crock.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
The difference is you are spewing this craziness while I don't see anyone on the boards saying the things you cited...

There's no shot the average fan would end up spending $1K on stub hub for barclays Stanley Cup tickets. Thats a crock.

:laugh::laugh: you use this place as a source?!?!?!!? Stop.. Please stop.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad