Balsille Signs Arena Deal with Hamitlon....

bkl

May 31, 2007
Franklin, TN
Welcome to the board bkl.

I have made many posts in defense of your team and will support you in your fight to keep the team, but I am in the minority. By coming to this board, be prepared to argue with a vast majority who don't let facts get in their way, and many Canadians who want to keep hockey their secret.

Thanks. Your support is very much appreciated by Nashville Predators fans. (Contrary to some people's beliefs, we do exist ;)).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The assertion is that the league can make more potential money by moving franchise to a new market. Moving to an established market will bring marginally more money, but nowhere near the potential than that of increasing the footprint in the US.

It's pretty clear that short team (~5 years) the 'league' could make more money by moving, if only from the new policto handouts. At worst case a new location might do as badly as Nashville has from a money standpoint. The important question then becomes long term value of "increasing the footprint" while running in the red. And more to the point finding an owner willing to absorb losses to increase the NHL's "footprint".

Except that this is not 100% like businesses in the actual market place (ie, this is not the real world). This is a league with 30 different outposts that all contribute to the same revenue pie. If a team is losing money, it is not that big a deal if the league as whole is in the black.

It may not be that big of a deal to the 'league', but it's a pretty big deal to that owner that is making or losing money, or would be making more money if they weren't shipping dollars to teams that lose money.

That is why there is revenue sharing in the league. This revenue sharing should be more comprehensive, but that is another story.

Revenue sharing is a very recent addition to the NHL, driven with Bettman's grand vision and the lockout. Without any significant new league-wide revenue streams like the NFL and NBA have I think we'll see a big backlash when the new CBA is negotiated from some big market teams.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Res, Balsillie has not "put his signature on a cheque". He did not "pay nearly a quarter of a BILLION dollars". He has not paid anything. He has an agreement to buy, with a number of conditions that must be met, not the least of which is NHL BOG approval.

Boy, even sensible people have gotten WAY ahead of themselves.

Yes, technically you are correct. The principle of my post remains valid, however. I do not believe that Balsillie has entered into this agreement without having a damn good idea what the league will let him do. If he believes in the Nashville market, and believes he can make it work, more power to him. But if he wants to move the team, I believe that he has a very good idea of what conditions the NHL will impose on such a move, and has accepted them.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Welcome to the board bkl.

I have made many posts in defense of your team and will support you in your fight to keep the team, but I am in the minority. By coming to this board, be prepared to argue with a vast majority who don't let facts get in their way, and many Canadians who want to keep hockey their secret.

Yup. So much a secret that even if the Preds fail, there will still be 23 American NHL teams, with virtually the entire minor league landscape based in the US. When you accuse others of not letting facts get in the way, be sure you do not convict yourself of hypocricy in the process.

I find it personally comical that your defenses all rely on creating false dilemmas. Moving the Preds to Canada does not "make hockey Canada's secret", nor does it cancel the objective of "growing the game in the United States." The game didn't suddenly stop growing when the Atlanta Flames moved to Calgary, and it won't should the Nashville Predators move to Hamilton or K-W.

Ultimately, this is a business deal. bkl's comments about wanting to fight for the Preds is a quite refreshing in contrast to many defeatist comments by Nashville fans when this news first broke, and even in this thread. I have no doubt that Balsillie is buying this team with the intention of moving it. My very first comment on this entire affair was that the fans could prevent it. More fans like bkl will help achieve that goal.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
My very first comment on this entire affair was that the fans could prevent it. More fans like bkl will help achieve that goal.
Do you blame Winnipeg, Quebec, etc. fans for their teams moving? (I think you have before, just checking!)

There's really nothing wrong with what Jazz said. He summed up some people's attitudes quite nicely.

Fugu

How about we leave the Predators where they are and add 2 brand new Canadian teams? That way Preds fans like me are happy and Winnipeg/Hamilton residents or wherever are happy as well. Obviously doing this would be a long term plan as I believe the arenas of these cities aren't up to scratch to house an NHL team?

I see no reason to move the Predators, the fanbase has increased every year, the problem is getting corporate support. As previously said in this thread it takes a lot more than 9 years to develop a fanbase and the NHL would be taking a step backwards if they allow this potential move to go through.

I think people are anthropomorphizing "The NHL"... I'll address that in my next post, but I doubt that the large market teams would approve adding 2 more teams when there are franchises right now that are receiving significant revenue sharing, and whose future in the current locations may be questionable.

There is a line between the savings the large market teams achieved [in spite of revenue sharing] vs losses/profit in the old economy. As long as they show a net profit that is greater in the new system, they'll support it. If that line is crossed and it costs them more to support teams through revenue sharing today, there is little incentive for them to support the system. The league just endured a lockout in the hope of gaining some type of economic stability which it claims was needed for a majority of its small market teams. I don't think expansion is something that is done before economic stability is achieved.

Wetcoaster

If the Preds do relocate to Hamilton or the K/W area does balsillie rename the team??

Here are some suggestions:

Hamilton Make Beliefs

Hamilton 67's (1967, 1967, 1967.....)

Kitchener Utensils

Waterloo Napoleons

K/W Black Bears

K/W RIM Shots

Apparently RIM has bought a large parcel of land in Cambridge, Ontario so:

Cambridge Blues (hmmm could be a little problem with that one).

Sweaty17

Nov 1, 2005
I dont know why so many people look at it like that.

It is simply unfair being a hockey fan in Southern Ontario. If you want to go to more than 1 game a season you have to have some serious money. And if you want good seats you better have some serious connections. Ive sat in the lower bowl once in my lifetime, and I got the tickets through a friends parents business.

Aside from that, If you want to look at it from a simple supply and demand, economic perspective, the move makes sense.

Youre arguging the team should stay and lose money because a small amount of people in Nashville are now hockey fans; In the process, neglecting the consumers who provide the most money to the NHL's revenue sharing program, propping up franchises like the Predators, so that they are able to lose a little less money.

Southern Ontario deserves another NHL team. I dont care specifically if it is the Preds or not. But the NHL fans in this region deserve better treatment.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Finally someone said it...................

It's almost like saying Southern Ontario doesn't deserve a team because there are already TOO MANY hockey fans in that area......

But if these same people lived in Portland they would be deserving of a team.

Jazz

Yup. So much a secret that even if the Preds fail, there will still be 23 American NHL teams, with virtually the entire minor league landscape based in the US. When you accuse others of not letting facts get in the way, be sure you do not convict yourself of hypocricy in the process.
Do you really need me to quote all the posts were people here are saying to move all teams south of the Mason-Dixon line back up north? Look it up, there are everywhere.

I find it personally comical that your defenses all rely on creating false dilemmas. Moving the Preds to Canada does not "make hockey Canada's secret", nor does it cancel the objective of "growing the game in the United States." The game didn't suddenly stop growing when the Atlanta Flames moved to Calgary, and it won't should the Nashville Predators move to Hamilton or K-W.
Comical? I am discussing people's attitudes here of not wanting teams in the southern US (which Santos confirmed above) and about certain cities "not deserving" a team, I think that part is comical.

Also, Bettman has a mandate from the Board of Governors to expand the reach of the game in the US. It is arguable that one team moving itself might not change that, but it will propagate the perception (rightly or wrongly) that hockey cannot work in the south, which will be a blow to the NHL's image as it works to secure a US network deal.

Corban

Sep 25, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pa
Also, Bettman has a mandate from the Board of Governors to expand the reach of the game in the US. It is arguable that one team moving itself might not change that, but it will propagate the perception (rightly or wrongly) that hockey cannot work in the south, which will be a blow to the NHL's image as it works to secure a US network deal.

This is something that most of the Canadian fan base will never accept. And this is where the "canadian glasses" come into effect.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
I hope Hamilton will get the team, not the sound like an ass to Nashville fans, but Hockey is our sport in Canada and we deserve more than just 6 teams.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
If the Preds do relocate to Hamilton or the K/W area does balsillie rename the team??

Hamilton Make Beliefs

Hamilton 67's (1967, 1967, 1967.....)

Kitchener Utensils

Waterloo Napoleons

K/W Black Bears

K/W RIM Shots

Apparently RIM has bought a large parcel of land in Cambridge, Ontario so:

K/W Worthless Lying Billionaires
Hamiltion Team Stealers

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005

Meh, works in the AHL with the Admirals.

=====
I hope Hamilton will get the team, not the sound like an ass to Nashville fans, but Hockey is our sport in Canada and we deserve more than just 6 teams.
I hope everyone who makes a comment like this is flogged. Or, at the very least has the post deleted.

TorFC-TML*

:biglaugh: It's so easy to say something based on assumption rather than fact, isn't it? Have you ever been to Nashville? Clearly not, or you wouldn't have made such an asinine statement.

The Nashville Predators have been here for nine years and have only truly been competitive for three. The franchise was only six years old when the lockout occurred and effectively killed our corporate support. The corporations that supported the team before the lockout didn't return. The fanbase has had to try to fill the void left by businesses-not an easy task in a "non-traditional" market with a population of only 600,000 and virtually no media coverage.

Nashville's season ticket holder base is, I believe, 65% fans to 35% corporations. There are a lot of Predators fans in Nashville, diehard fans who have done so much to try to support the Predators and still are. Predators fans are taking their hard-earned money and buying extra tickets to give to family and friends, or to donate to charity. The fans have stepped up in a big way, and the corporations and city government have dropped the ball.

Nine years is not long enough to gage the success of a "non-traditional" market. Hockey is growing here. Before another disappointing first round exit in the playoffs, corporate support was coming back. People who might not have given hockey a chance in the past were starting to pay attention to the Predators and were excited about the team we had. Every playoff game sold out quickly-something that didn't happen in some "traditional" NHL markets.

If we do the lose the team, the saddest part to me will be knowing what could have been. Nashville is a prosperous, fast-growing city. Many people are moving here from other NHL markets and would likely support the Predators. Youth hockey is huge here and could provide a very large, home-grown season ticket base in the future. It's unfortunate that Leipold is more concerned with covering up his own mistakes-like his marketing department-than seeing the potential that exists here.

I hate to disappoint you, but I wouldn't get too excited about the possibility of Basillie moving the team to Canada just yet. Nashville fans still have something to say about that. We're not going to let anyone steal our team without a fight.

The Columbus Blue Jackets were dealt the exact same hand when they got an expansion franchise. Theyve had a much worse team and arent in the same boat as Nashville yet.

Tampa Bay, the abysmal Panthers, the Thrashers, Ducks, Canes, Coyotes; These are all non-traditional markets that are better off than the Preds.

Many people are moving to Nashville and supporting the team?

1) That isnt a fact.
2) Banking a franchises future success on the prospect that fans will move to the city is insanity.

And nobody is 'stealing' your team. Your owner (and the NHL) are basically willing to give it away to anyone who will keep the team there. Jim Balsillie is buying your team because evidently nobody in Nashville is willing to step up.

The Edomton Oilers were completely ****ed over by Peter Pocklinton. He sold Wayne ****ing Gretzky, and stole money from the franchise. The Oilers fans made it work all one their own.

Edmonton Investors Group

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Do you blame Winnipeg, Quebec, etc. fans for their teams moving? (I think you have before, just checking!)

There's really nothing wrong with what Jazz said. He summed up some people's attitudes quite nicely.

It is rather simplistic to blame the relocation of a team on "the fans". The issues are far too complex. FWIW, however, I have generally maintained that the fans of Nashville have been good. It's the business community that is the primary failure in this situation. Ultimately, Nashville is not able to generate enough revenue to cover expenses. I tend to blame the market as a whole for not being able to support hockey at this level.

The markets in Winnipeg and Quebec City fell for the same reasons. They could not generate the revenue necessary to allow the team to remain in operation.

Where there certantly are a lot of people who do blame Nashville fans, and who do want them to move to Canada, his reasons are, simply put, absurd. That is why I question the nature of his post.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Do you really need me to quote all the posts were people here are saying to move all teams south of the Mason-Dixon line back up north? Look it up, there are everywhere.

Sweeping generalizations are rarely accurate. As I just mentioned in my reply to Sotnos, there certantly is that element. Whining about it to another user won't help your cause.

Comical? I am discussing people's attitudes here of not wanting teams in the southern US (which Santos confirmed above) and about certain cities "not deserving" a team, I think that part is comical.

I don't want teams where they will fail. I have argued against Winnipeg for the same reason why I question Nashville's viability. Simply put, any market that cannot generate enough revenue to be sustainable does not deserve a team. In this case, your anti-south people are right, if for dubious reasons.

Bettman's original mandate was to grow the game in the US. That is now twelve years ago. What his current priorities are are generally unknown. Given the current CBA, growing revenues may well be of greater importance, and a move from Nashville to the golden horseshoe may well do that.

Also, as is often the case, Bettman has little to do with this. The BOG itself will vote on both the sale and move.

Balej20*

I may come off as very ignorant with this question I am about to ask, so I'll warn you upfront that I am very unaware...But are there enough fans to have 3 NHL franchises so close in proximity to eachother? Buffalo, Toronto and Hamilton are all pretty close, is the population up there enough?

Like I said, I have no clue on this, that's why I'm asking...so don't flame me.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
I may come off as very ignorant with this question I am about to ask, so I'll warn you upfront that I am very unaware...But are there enough fans to have 3 NHL franchises so close in proximity to eachother? Buffalo, Toronto and Hamilton are all pretty close, is the population up there enough?

It's a good question, and it depends on the demographic.

As many have pointed out, the Ducks seem to be the poor sisters of the LA area, like the Clippers.

The Islanders and Devils, despite their much more impressive history, continue to be treated like autistic kids on saucer-spinning day.

They're taken for granted.

Fugu

I think this is the working hypothesis, that indeed there are enough "fans" to support another team. That was the thinking for the metro NY and LA markets as well. That said, the other assumption people tend to make - and there may be some indicators like attendance, viewership, and corporate support on some per capita basis - is that the Canadian markets achieve a greater market penetration. Expressed strictly as a percentage of the total population, the working hypothesis is that more Canadians in Market X will tune in than in most US markets. The US teams may make up for the lower market penetration rates with sheer population size being much greater.

So it may not be as straightforward an answer as you'd like, since you do have to consider the specific attributes of the markets in question.

With that said, Bettman has offered he believes having multiple teams in the same market may not be a good idea for "a variety of reasons" (paraphrased but that's what he implied).

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
sorry, you are factually wrong.

QC attendance 1989-90 - 15,080 (their high water mark in the history of the team)

Nashville attendance 2006-07 - 15,259.

It speaks for itself whose "following" was bigger. You can argue all you want about QC being a smaller arena and a smaller town, and "freebies", etc. The fact remains that more people went to Nashville games last year than ever went to a Nordiques game.

I really love how you can keep shoving proven facts in peoples faces and they just keep going like its not there. The FACT that the bottom line of attendance (which is what drives revenue at this point) being incredibly weak in these supposed "hockey cities" of Winnipeg and QC with very little chance of growth due to the population of those cities doesn't seem to make any difference to these guys. At least Nashville has a chance to grow.

These attendance #'s also need to be remembered that they were when the prices were still reasonable. I'd like to see what they could manage at the current sky-high prices.

These are hard proven facts....these people need to stop living in some diluted past and face reality.
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/NHL-attendance.htm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad