Ball Hockey Players Roll Call

Brazz

This boat is 4 real!
Nov 6, 2005
This was the first year I have competed in a ball hockey league (the greater Ottawa Ball Hockey Association http://www.geocities.com/gobhahockey/). Growing up my parents always took me crosscountry skiing instead of skating so I have always been a lousy skater but now since playing ball hockey I finally fell like I can really compete in hockey and have really learned much more about the game.

Are there any other ball hockey players on these boards and if so where do you play?

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
I play. I always played ice growing up, until I finished high school. At that point, some buddies and I joined a local league just for fun and we grew to love the game. We're all still in college, so we don't play as often together, but every summer our squad comes out...always alot of fun.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I play ball or roller in the summer. Still need to get in game shape though, I suspect I'm going to be begging for mercy after a shift in the first game in mid-July.

Speed is essential in ball hockey, I dare say more important than ball control.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
I've been playing competitive ball hockey for about 10 years now. I play in the Riverview Ball Hockey League in New Brunswick Canada (http://www.riverviewballhockey.com)... Also, my team in the league usually goes to the Eastern Canadian Ball Hockey Championships each year and just last year and this year I've been playing for TeamNew Brunswick, an all star team to compete in the National Championships (to be held at home in Saint John, NB this year)... It's some great ball hockey... If you ever get the chance to get out and watch the Nationals if it's ever close to you, I highly suggest it... Last year the winning team actually had Alexandre Burrows of the Canucks playing for them...

Anyways, if you're looking for more information no ball hockey you can visit the Canadian Ball Hockey Association's web site at http://www.cbha.com ...

Brazz

This boat is 4 real!
Nov 6, 2005
Wow dude, that actually looks like a pretty well organized league. I'd play in a league like that for fun if I found one around here.

Ottawa is pretty big for ball hockey (from what I've heard it is even bigger in Montreal), I think there is maybe 4 summer leagues and 1 winter one, not to mention the University rec leagues. The guy who run are league is one of the accountant for the Ottawa 67's. Since the OHL is done for the season he spends a fair amount of time of the league. Every week we get complete stats, game previews and prediction and post game analysis emailed to us, it is pretty cool. He is also putting on a big ball hockey tourney in the fall in the parking lots outside of Frank Clair Stadium. $10 gets you minimum 3 games and a 67's ticket.

Last edited:

The n00b King ©*

i play ball hockey and me and some friends joined a roller hockey league that starts in august. it's brilliant. looking forward to playing actual tournaments!

if any of you are in the MTL region, check this out: www.nabhl.com

brand spanking new arean for the roller hockey. it's gonna be a super sweet setup too.

2x4*

Apparently at my new school they have a ball hockey league that had 14 teams last year. Im playing for sure!

Fan of The Game

Apr 3, 2007
USA
Well I play inline hockey, not sure if that counts, but I have a Outdoor roller rink that I play pick up on with a few fellas in Gainsville FL.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Are you guys just talking about inline hockey played with a ball? Or is "ball hockey" some Canadian thing I'm unaware of in the States?

If so, I've been playing inline hockey w/ a ball since I was 10 years old, so for almost 15 years now... I love it.... I enjoy playing outdoors because it's usually free and you can play just about anytime you want....

Right now I'm playing on an indoor team and with a puck and I definitely don't like or enjoy it as much as playing outdoors and with a ball....

I don't buy into the people with the mentality that it's somehow not real hockey or not worthy of respect... Do what you enjoy!

Matty31

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
The World Ball Hockey championships just took place and they were in Germany.
http://www.streethockeywc2007.com/english/_topframe.html
http://www.isbhf.com

Canada won again as competition isn’t that great. Alex Burrows of the Canucks was a regular on team Canada until he made the Canucks last season. Since then he hasn’t played competitively.

I also play in Edmonton at www.ballhockeyedmonton.com
Edmonton has a second organized league at www.embh.ca

I have previously played in Calgary at www.superleagues.ca/ballhockey
They had a great stat package for their league, here was my profile.
http://www.pointstreak.com/players/playerpage.html?playerid=1038869&seasonid=1379

A couple of years ago at the Western Canadian B Championships, recent Avalanche pick TJ Galiardi played with us and did a great job leading us to the title and winning MVP of tournament.
http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-team.html?teamid=36949&seasonid=910
He is a great kid and I hope he makes it to the show one day.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I help run a co-ed ball hockey league out in San Diego: http://home.san.rr.com/sdfloorhockey

Friendly league, the thing that I enjoy is that we do a draft prior to every season. So if you play long enough, you end up playing with everybody. Plus it's always fun to see where you get drafted--this season I was a third rounder when I used to be the last player taken when I first started in 2003.

We're up to 10 teams, decent size since SD isn't exactly a hockey hotbed. Skill level varies a ton.....we've had a few guys who played Junior B in Canada to others who picked up a hockey stick for the first time a month ago.

Brazz

This boat is 4 real!
Nov 6, 2005
Wow it is really great to see Ball Hockey being played all over North America. That San Diego league look really great, way to spread the game.

I know for a fact that ball hockey is being played other places too. I awhile back I had an interview for a teaching job at an International School in Addas Ababa Ethopia. I asked the interviewer about campus life and he was telling me every day of the week they have a sports night and one of the most well attendant sports nights is the floor hockey night.

I also know that Ball hockey is a big deal with the Canadian Troops in Afganistan, they just had some former NHLers go over there and play the soldiers.

Anyway it is a great way to spread the game in places thay would never see it otherwise.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I'm part of a smaller 4 team ball league in new york state. There's no other option around here. Nearest ice rink (with a reasonable league) is 45 minutes away, and nearest indoor inline hockey is the same. The Ice League near by is expensive as all hell and sign up by team which I don't have, no drop ins. So for the longest time it's ball hockey or nothing :P I love it though, little equipment to wear and you don't die when you block a shot. It's just fun all around.

Boja

Dec 9, 2006
I play with a bunch of friends in Mississauga. We play a mix of foot and roller on an old tennis court. This year we're struggling to get games in since everyone is busy, but we've managed to find another group that plays at a nice rink in downtown Toronto. We've played in a couple of tournaments and made it out of the round robin both times, so we're a decent team.

We're called the "Mississauga Bandits", and if anyone wants to come by and face us or join in, you're more than welcome to. We also have some videos on YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/mississaugabandits

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I grew up playing in Montreal, but moved to Northern California 15 years ago and we have a league there called BASH. We've been traveling to national tourneys and have worked our way up to 16th overall in the US. Not bad for a 90-man league. There are a lot of Canadian ex-pats and northern US players in our league, so the top players are very good. We've beat some good Canadian teams, and we're heading to a tourney in Orlando this fall.

mooseOAK*

I see more guys getting injured playing ball hockey than ice hockey, not for me any more.

Boja

Dec 9, 2006
I play www.ballhockeyinternational.com

It's a ton of fun. My parents could never afford for me to play ice hockey when i was younger so i took this up. I've been playing for about 7 years now. Met alot of good people and its just alot of fun.

Damn, I missed the deadline for the tournament coming up in Brantford this weekend. If only you posted sooner! :cry:

dhasek3910

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Ditto me for the ball hockey league in Edmonton, it's my first year and I'm having a blast! First year of organized hockey growing up as a hockey fan, so its been awesome!

Tyisa

Sep 16, 2006
Ball hockey's great...:)...especially when you have to bus it to hockey...a bag full of ball hockey stuff is a whole lot lighter than a bag full of ice hockey stuff...

I play at community centres (cause it's free or cheap and the drop-in idea is nice) and for the past couple of summers in a ladies' league in Toronto. www.twbha.ca it's got rec and comp levels in a couple of locations in the city and is pretty well organized...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad