Goalies: Ball Hockey Goalie Transition To Ice

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
Hi, folks. I am a 27M ball hockey goalie in the DC area. I'm looking to make the transition to ice hockey, and I'd like to learn what helped other former ball hockey goalies to make the transition to ice. I've learned that you need more equipment than you previously used in ball hockey (for example, a neck guard), that the puck does not behave as erratically as a ball when shot from long distances, and that you are more mobile in ice hockey than in ball hockey.

What movement was the biggest adjustment to you when starting ice hockey? I was surprised to learn that goalies only use 5 different movements for most of the game, and that they use the same movement to go both forwards and backwards (the C-cut). I would also expect the T-push to be a big adjustment, because it is not something that can be copied on feet (a goalie can use RollerFly or other sliding plates to butterfly slide, though not quite as effectively as on ice).

Finally, what type of instruction did you do when you made the transition? Private lessons, a learn-to-play class for adults, or something else?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Hi, folks. I am a 27M ball hockey goalie in the DC area. I'm looking to make the transition to ice hockey, and I'd like to learn what helped other former ball hockey goalies to make the transition to ice. I've learned that you need more equipment than you previously used in ball hockey (for example, a neck guard), that the puck does not behave as erratically as a ball when shot from long distances, and that you are more mobile in ice hockey than in ball hockey.

What movement was the biggest adjustment to you when starting ice hockey? I was surprised to learn that goalies only use 5 different movements for most of the game, and that they use the same movement to go both forwards and backwards (the C-cut). I would also expect the T-push to be a big adjustment, because it is not something that can be copied on feet (a goalie can use RollerFly or other sliding plates to butterfly slide, though not quite as effectively as on ice).

Finally, what type of instruction did you do when you made the transition? Private lessons, a learn-to-play class for adults, or something else?
I didnt play goalie in ball hockey, but I started around 25 years old on ice hockey. I learned pretty quickly that wearing 2 jocks is a good idea. I wore my regular players jock and the goalie one over top. Trust me... ;)

Oh and when I made the change I just played. A lot. I was on the ice 4 times a week. The hardest part for me was just knowing where I stood in the net, but you should already know that. My best advice would be to work on coming out of the crease and your reverse "wiggle". You will find eventually there is a certain rythem to it and it feels very fluid.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
To start don't get too caught up on technical stuff, just get out on the ice and take some shots from a buddy or two if you can. Yes, you'll want something to protect your throat if that area is currently exposed. You can get that plastic dangler and attach it to your mask. Some NHL Goalies still use that though most have their helmet built with that area already protected.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The biggest difference for me was when I play goal in ball hockey I utilize a stand up style more than a butterfly style and position myself more aggressively because of the abrasive surface and the slower pace of play (players running rather than skating). For example, since I can't move laterally as easily so on longer shots i wouldn't go into a full butterfly to stop a slap shot from 30 ft out but i would in ice hockey.

I think if your transitioning from ball hockey to ice hockey i would focus on getting a feel of the ice and how to move around from side to side and sliding back to your posts.

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
I already play a butterfly-oriented style in ball hockey, so it won't be that much of an adjustment to go down for shots on ice. I use Rollerfly plates in ball hockey, so I have some practice sliding. I'll practice forward, backward, and lateral movements on ice. I use a dangler for ball hockey, and have recently added a neck guard and knee pads to use with modern, ice-legal, leg pads.

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
How do you stay warm while playing? My current base layer includes a long sleeve shirt and sweat pants, then the jock, garter, and knee pads. Other stuff goes on top of that (pants, pads, neck guard over long sleeve shirt, C/A over neck guard), and the jersey goes over the C/A. Mask with dangler covers my head. Do any of you have additional layers you wear for warmth on ice, or should a long sleeve shirt and sweatpants be good enough?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
How do you stay warm while playing? My current base layer includes a long sleeve shirt and sweat pants, then the jock, garter, and knee pads. Other stuff goes on top of that (pants, pads, neck guard over long sleeve shirt, C/A over neck guard), and the jersey goes over the C/A. Mask with dangler covers my head. Do any of you have additional layers you wear for warmth on ice, or should a long sleeve shirt and sweatpants be good enough?
You'll be sweating in no time. Make sure you bring a water bottle

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What I did was find some skating drills online for goalies and I would pick one drill to do every time I was on the ice.

So everytime the puck was in the other end, I would be doing things like.. T-push to the crease, back to the post, post to post, t-push to the top of the crease, opposite post, post to post, repeat.

And then do a more advanced drill the next time.

T-push to the top of the crease, butterfly, butterfly push to the post, etc.

Eventually I got better at doing goalie specific movements just from doing that.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
What I did was find some skating drills online for goalies and I would pick one drill to do every time I was on the ice.

So everytime the puck was in the other end, I would be doing things like.. T-push to the crease, back to the post, post to post, t-push to the top of the crease, opposite post, post to post, repeat.

And then do a more advanced drill the next time.

T-push to the top of the crease, butterfly, butterfly push to the post, etc.

Eventually I got better at doing goalie specific movements just from doing that.
Yes definitely. Movement in and around the crease is probably the biggest thing for goalies.

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
Cool! I tried telescoping, shuffles, and T-push. I got the hang of skating backwards in my lessons today, but I still suck at T-pushes. Back to the rink to practice some more, eh?

Reactions: LarryO

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Kind of a late bump, but depending on how new you are to skating / goal, finding a learn to play and volunteering to be their goalie is a great way to get (usually free) ice time. Usually they're happy to have a warm body to shoot on during drills.

Any 2 on 1 or passing drill is a great time to work on whatever movement you want. Start at the post and t-push or butterfly push out to the shooter etc. And then there is also usually lots of downtime to work on whatever else you're needing to work on.

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
Are you talking about adult or youth learn to play? I'm definitely planning on doing an adult learn to play program. In my area, Hockey North America conducts hockey schools for adults, so I'm waiting about info on their program for 2022.

I've never thought about the youth learn to play route, but that could also be useful, if I can figure out how to navigate through the legal questions involved.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
C Cuts are gonna make or break your transition. Between those movements and butterfly slide pushes, you've pretty much got it. But those variety of subtle C-Cuts are going to really make a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad