Goalies: Ball Hockey Goalie Looking for Equipment Advice

Thedemogamer

May 10, 2018
Hi there,

So I’m obviously new to the forum and I’m hoping I’m doing this right but I have been lurking for a while and figured I would just ask, as you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable. So I play ball hockey at a pickup level with friends once a week, but we are thinking of playing at a more organized level. I’m a goalie and right now I use street pads, some old player pants, an armless chest protector that does nothing, a caged player helmet and a street hockey blocker and trapper. This works okayish (minus the arm bruises from nasty snapshots) for playing with the guys because we don’t allow slapshots, however at the level we want to play we want to allow slapshots so I’m looking at getting some newer gear.

So I want to get new gear, but I don’t want to break the bank, I’m going to get some player pants and a cup from a friend so that is covered, the cage helmet works fine for what it is, I’m mainly concerned about chest protection and pads, I’m on a tight budget and the first game is June 2nd, I’ve looked online at used stuff and a lot of people are selling Large Intermediate Chest protectors for $50, I’m 5’7” and wondering if I could get away with this for ball hockey.

The second thing is pads I really want pads I can actually butterfly in and modding my own doesn’t seem doable at this point. I was searching for a used pair online and found a pair of used 32” Vaughn Velocity pads (see picture below) for $65 The seller says “useable but need some repair - straps, ect.” I’m wondering if these would be good to get, I’ve got time, I just don’t know if I can repair it, they would be good for this, ect. So thank you in advance for reading all of this novel, what advice can you give me? I mean are ice hockey pads even good for ball hockey?

Attachments

• AEDD43B6-5DDE-41C3-9AC7-DEFE405E3340.jpeg
    AEDD43B6-5DDE-41C3-9AC7-DEFE405E3340.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 52

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If it is only for ball hockey I would not recommend going out and buying a pair of ice hockey pads when you already explained you don't want to break the bank.The pads look fine for ball hockey, although in my opinion the more expensive pads are much easier to go down into butterfly with. It is almost automatic with those pads. For $65 those pads are worth a try, but like the seller said you will have to spend some money to repair things.

Maybe it's just me, but unless you want to feel constant stings and have black and blues just buy a decent chest protector. Look on goalie monkey or a local hockey shop.

If you ever have any extra money look into purchasing these for goalie as well:

Rollerfly Goalie Slide Plates Senior

Hope that helps!

Thedemogamer

May 10, 2018
The reason I brought up the intermediate Chest protector is I was told they are lighter and easier to move in, and just better for ball hockey, I just don’t know if it would be way to small or give me a good amount of protection. I’m only playing with semi hard balls so they arnt full out hard plastic balls, they are a Semi hard rubber.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The reason I brought up the intermediate Chest protector is I was told they are lighter and easier to move in, and just better for ball hockey, I just don’t know if it would be way to small or give me a good amount of protection. I’m only playing with semi hard balls so they arnt full out hard plastic balls, they are a Semi hard rubber.

Yeah that should be fine.

Thedemogamer

May 10, 2018
But would it fit size wise? Like would it Be doable? Or could I mod it?

Edit: going back to the goalie pads for a second, do you think repair is doable? I know a guy that works with leather but are goalie pads mechanically difficult to work on?

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
But would it fit size wise? Like would it Be doable? Or could I mod it?

Edit: going back to the goalie pads for a second, do you think repair is doable? I know a guy that works with leather but are goalie pads mechanically difficult to work on?

I would go to a store and try the stuff on first to be honest. Different brands fit differently on everybody. The goalie pads are interesting, I would just buy a cheap set of pads instead of buying cheap pads and having to repair them. A kit that I found online with all new straps and whatnot was $100. See if you can just get a new pair of pads that is not already broken down.

I cannot tell from the picture what is wrong with the pads, but how much is this guy going to charge you?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
For what its worth, I was very patient and pieced everything together from Kijiji and got EVERYTHING done for 500 CAD. I got a really good barely used (10 games), set of Reebok XLT Pads, Blocker and Glove in that price too..

Go this route. Dont repair pads especially if straps are an issue.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Thedemogamer

May 10, 2018
Okay, thanks for the advice guys. The guy wanted $45 no one seems to want to fix them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad