Baking new skates?

Muttley*

Do you guys all bake your new skates? I just got my 852s in the mail and want to start playing them soon. I also want to do whatever to the pro tack goalie skates i just got

is just using a hairdryer straight?

No!!!!! Please get to some pro-shop dude, it is way-more than some home oven/do it your self, etc.

forget the hairdryer!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Bake them, yes. There's nothing like that feeling of your own mold ;)

And go to a pro-shop and get it done right.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Your home oven will do the trick but you had better be able to control the heat 175 dregrees F for 15 minutes. Place your feet in them and tighten laces VERY tight. Sit with them on and DONT move. takes about 15 minutes for the skates to cool down.

To prevent hot spot place a cookie sheet on the rack below the skates and stand skates up on the rack above. be sure only the skate blade is toughing any metal part of your oven.

With that said...best to just take them to a pro shop and have them done there unless you know what your doing.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Dumb question(s) here... do you wear socks when letting them cool/mold to your feet? Can you get it done if you've already played in them a few times or does it have to be done right away?

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Dumb question(s) here... do you wear socks when letting them cool/mold to your feet? Can you get it done if you've already played in them a few times or does it have to be done right away?

It's all personal preference whether to wear socks or not, but where whatever you play in. If you don't play in socks, don't wear them when you get your skates baked.

I also don't think it matters if you get them baked after you've played in them.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes have your local pro shop put them in a skate oven for about 10 mins depending on the brand and type. For example the Vapor XX's and XXX's should not be in the oven for more than 3 mins or they actually melt. Once the are baked, sit with them on and do not move. Also you should not skate in them for at least 24 hours to let the mold set. I worked in a pro shop for years and I've seen skates get completely botched because people skated in them right after getting them baked.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
for gods sake get it done at a pro-shop. you're pretty much guarenteed to mess something up if you try it at home based on information from a messageboard.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
haha.

i found a pro shop about 30 minutes from my house that does it for $10, so I'm gonna do that. now I just have to find somewhere to get them profiled

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey

You're gonna wanna wear socks. The skates are gonna be freakin' hot. I got my skates baked in the shop where I bought them. Takes about 40 minutes in total

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Baking skates at home is not a big deal. As MikeD said, 175-200 for 15 minutes. Wear whatever you plan to skate with normally on your feet when you put them on. Tighten the skates as tight as you possibly can and grab a chair for at least 20 minutes, 30 or more is better. Let the skates sit till at least the next day before use. I've baked at least 8 pairs in this fashion and always have had good results. I've even taken skates that didn't claim to be made to bake and done them with good results.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Your home oven will do the trick but you had better be able to control the heat 175 dregrees F for 15 minutes. Place your feet in them and tighten laces VERY tight. Sit with them on and DONT move. takes about 15 minutes for the skates to cool down.

To prevent hot spot place a cookie sheet on the rack below the skates and stand skates up on the rack above. be sure only the skate blade is toughing any metal part of your oven.

With that said...best to just take them to a pro shop and have them done there unless you know what your doing.

OMG 15 mins is way too long you'll ruin the glues holding your skate together. 5 mins tops. you just want to soften them, not cook them. you bake bread for 15 mins not skates!!!! you don't want any cooling of the skate before you put your foot into it so you cant have it in the oven too long otherwise you'll burn yourself. do it a couple of times if you must but don't skate in them for 24 hours so the glues reset and cure. Doing it yourself will invalidate any warranty from the manfacturer!

Make sure you put them on card board not the grates!!!!!!!!

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I'm not going to comment on the baking process... but when you tighten your skates pull the laces out not up. You can easily rip out an eyelit when you do this. That actually goes for everytime you tighten your skates. BTW don't use your tendon guard to take off your skates, it will break it down.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
In the PRo shop cooker the elements are much closer and much hotter and the heat gets to the skates very quickly. That is why there is a varied time depending on which make/model when done in the pro oven. In a normal house hold oven it will take that 13-15 minutes to get the heat into the skate at a safe 175 degrees. The glues and bindings of a skate can take temps of up to 250. I have done this for over 2 decades with no ill affects. Of course mine are goalie skates for the mast part. Also did with my Mission VSI2000 boots. remember that 175 degrees is the "WARM" setting on most household ovens. Bread bakes at a MUCH higher temp.

I do agree that people spent a large amount of coin on skates and if you have a shred of doubt..take it to a pro shop.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
miked- where do you play at? I live in buffalo also.

anyway I got my new forward and goalie skates baked today. I've been trying to find someone local to do the profiling. Great skate can, but they have a dupli skate, which are said to be of poor quality. I'm gonna drive up to Thorold next time I get a chance and check out Front Row Sports, they have a cag 1

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Pretty much Skate and shoots at Leisure, Holiday and Hamburg. Right now I am skating with a group who have the ice up at Nicols on late saturday evenings. Great Skate does HORRIBLE grinds, at least on goalie skates and thats being nice about it.

Dont know about any who do a Radius for goalers but two old dads on Pine Ave(just east of hyde park in Niagara Falls) do standard or custom ROH grinds. They also do th Ozone cleaning that is super fast. noicingsports.com for a great location to have a radius profile done on your goalers. Worth the shipping.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Pretty much Skate and shoots at Leisure, Holiday and Hamburg. Right now I am skating with a group who have the ice up at Nicols on late saturday evenings. Great Skate does HORRIBLE grinds, at least on goalie skates and thats being nice about it.

Dont know about any who do a Radius for goalers but two old dads on Pine Ave(just east of hyde park in Niagara Falls) do standard or custom ROH grinds. They also do th Ozone cleaning that is super fast. noicingsports.com for a great location to have a radius profile done on your goalers. Worth the shipping.

yea it seems that Front Row Sports comes in high regard. I'm going to bring them my forward and my goalie skates and see how it goes. I wish I could get the Sabres equip manager to do the grind, as they have a cag 1, but he's probably pretty busy haha. noicing sports comes with much acclaim, i just don't want to deal with shipping my skates. between goalie and forward I play 4-5 times a week, so I can't afford to lose my skates. I still have my old skates, but I will soon be giving both pair away to friends in need.

if you guys ever need another goalie, or have room for another skater at that Nichols skate, I would always be interested. I take whatever icetime I can get, playing out or net. plus I live 5 minutes from there haha. not sure your level of play, but if its high i've been playing goalie since I was 9, and as a forward I'm pretty new to it but can definately hang with a high level of play.

Last edited:

rusty_nails

Feb 5, 2007
Thorold
miked- where do you play at? I live in buffalo also.

anyway I got my new forward and goalie skates baked today. I've been trying to find someone local to do the profiling. Great skate can, but they have a dupli skate, which are said to be of poor quality. I'm gonna drive up to Thorold next time I get a chance and check out Front Row Sports, they have a cag 1

hes a good guy too, puts a crisp edge on your blades...:)

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I baked mine at home. Near the end of their life cycle anyways. Worked out great!

Would I recommend to someone to do it themselves? Not necessarily, all depends on your comfort level in case you damage your skates.

But I will say, my experience worked great! Feel ten times better now.

Swat Ultra

~Hockey!~
Sep 23, 2010
Northern NH
think ill give it a try, what do you place the skate on in the oven and do u keep the oven going wile the skates in there or turn it off before you put it in?

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I would not leave the oven running while the skates are in there. Preheat the oven to the desired temperature and then turn it off, so you're baking with the residual heat.

The tag that came with my Bauer One80's says to preheat to 175F and bake for no more than 2 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad