Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '17-18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Condors win 3-1 against the winless Reign. Bear with 1G, 1A which gives him 2G and 2A in 5 games. Puljujarvi now has 7 shots and is +1 with 2A in 5 games. He has 3 shots and no points in the last 3 games. I'm hoping that this is a result of the things they're asking him to work on and not him just being underwhelming.
From what I have seen he isn't really a factor. Not playing bad but isn't really a factor.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Remember, draisaitl was pretty underwhelming in the AHL too.

Nice to see Bear off to a good start. I really think he's our Brandon Montour.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been pleasantly surprised by Bear's AHL production. I figured that Mantha and Jones would have a quicker adjustment but so far I've been wrong.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nice to see a bit of positive news out of Bakersfield.

It's been frustrating watching this thread since the dawn of time. The farm team hasn't done a thing to help the Oilers out in forever.
I count 2 players on the team that spent more than a handful of games with the farm team.

Slepyshev - He's too hard to peg. Gave the team some good games last year but hasn't pissed a drop this year.
Khaira - He's about as useful as tits on a boar out there.

That's it... that's it! omg that's f***ing it?

F-----------------------------------
grade for this development system.

It has to be the worst development system in the history of pro hockey.

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nice to see a bit of positive news out of Bakersfield.

It's been frustrating watching this thread since the dawn of time. The farm team hasn't done a thing to help the Oilers out in forever.
I count 2 players on the team that spent more than a handful of games with the farm team.

Slepyshev - He's too hard to peg. Gave the team some good games last year but hasn't pissed a drop this year.
Khaira - He's about as useful as **** on a boar out there.

That's it... that's it! omg that's ****ing it?

F-----------------------------------
grade for this development system.

It has to be the worst development system in the history of pro hockey.
That's kind of what happens when all your top picks go straight to the NHL. Then two years in a row we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd.

Throw in guys like Caggiula and Benning who really should've been in the AHL for a season as well.

There just hasn't been a core of high end prospects to grow together in the AHL. Even a guy like Bear, he was a 4th rounder for a reason. It's great that he's doing well in the AHL, but no one should be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be a NHLer.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That's kind of what happens when all your top picks go straight to the NHL. Then two years in a row we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd.

Throw in guys like Caggiula and Benning who really should've been in the AHL for a season as well.

There just hasn't been a core of high end prospects to grow together in the AHL. Even a guy like Bear, he was a 4th rounder for a reason. It's great that he's doing well in the AHL, but no one should be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be a NHLer.

I mean we went a decade without playoffs. High picks starting in the NHL doesn't begin to explain even half of our lack of development. If we were developing players at a league average rate, we'd have many more players on the team now that we developed. We've been the worst drafting and development team in the league for forever, and only now does it seem to be getting a little better.

Finally winning in the NHL and therefore having a better environment to develop younger players and push others down into the AHL should help but I don't think it's wrong at all to look critically at our AHL staff.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They lost 3-0 last night to the Heat, Jesse with 5sog. which is good to see after just 3 combined in his previous 3 games. They play again tonight against the Stockton Heat.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yeah, so Bear is only leading the team in scoring and in +/- with 5 points and a +4. Oh, and he's crushing his fellow D prospects (Jones: 2A; -8, Mantha: 2, -5). I That's a +/- goal differential of +9 over Mantha, and a massive +12 over Jones thus far. Also note that the team is -7 in term of goals-for/goals-against (just 14 goals scored; 21 allowed). That's pretty damn impressive for a 'small, and too slow' 20 year old of D prospect. Just have no idea why people don't think better of Bear, and are so in love with Jones or Paigin; as I think Bear was rated our 3rd best prospect in a poll during the summer, which I thought/think is ridiculous (Bear is clearly is/was our best Dman prospect, easily, IMO). Still early, but I'm betting Bear continues his good play, and we'll see who the true best Dman prospect for the Oilers is (and yes realise Laleggia is co-leader in scoring, and is also a D (also a winger sometimes); he's also 25, and a lot older than the new batch of prospects, so I classify Laleggia differently). Guess most haven't seen Bear play; I dunno.

If Brad Hunt can play (and he's doing very good so far in Vegas as a 2nd pairing guy), then Bear's shot alone should get him plenty of games. His cannon makes Hunt's look like almost nothing. Bear can one-time it HARD too -- something we could definitely use on the PP. I think I'd put him above Auvitu at the moment in the call-up order, TBH.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, so Bear is only leading the team in scoring and in +/- with 5 points and a +4. Oh, and he's crushing his fellow D prospects (Jones: 2A; -8, Mantha: 2, -5). I That's a +/- goal differential of +9 over Mantha, and a massive +12 over Jones thus far. Just have no idea why people don't think better of Bear, and are so in love with Jones or Paigin; as I think Bear was rated our 3rd best prospect in a poll during the summer, which I thought/think is ridiculous (Bear is clearly is/was our best Dman prospect, easily, IMO). Still early, but I'm betting Bear continues his good play, and we'll see who the true best Dman prospect for the Oilers is (and yes realise Laleggia is co-leader in scoring, and is also a D (also a winger sometimes); he's also 25, and a lot older than the new batch of prospects, so I classify Laleggia differently). Guess most haven't seen Bear play; I dunno.
A few things.

Laleggia hasn't been a defensemen for a while.has been a winger for at least the past 40 games.

Bear isn't rated higher because of his skating. It's kind of like Lander, very good at the AHL level but his style of game and his toolset is harder to make work at the NHL level

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I still think Jones is the better prospect, but I'm pleased with Bear's progression.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
A few things.

Laleggia hasn't been a defensemen for a while.has been a winger for at least the past 40 games.

Bear isn't rated higher because of his skating. It's kind of like Lander, very good at the AHL level but his style of game and his toolset is harder to make work at the NHL level

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure where Joey's playing this year in the lineup. If he's playing as a forward, then for Bear to be tied in team lead scoring with a forward is more impressive to me. I think it will continue.

Well, maybe he can fix his skating. His skating isn't THAT bad, actually. He needs to improve maybe 20% faster at most and he'll be fine to make the next step. More and more smaller Dmen are making it (Although Bear is near 6 feet tall, but depends on the site). There's even Vegas successfully playing Brad Hunt (an Oiler outcast) over 19 minutes a night quite successfully, and his skating is average at best and so is his defensive ability, as we saw ourselves. Zero concerns with Bear to me with skating or anything else. But like I said, it's still very early, but we'll see by the end of the season that Bear is a much better gem than Jones. Just giving my opinion.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A few things.

I understand the analogy but Bear skates nothing like Lander. I've said this before. Bear should make the Oilers before those D prospects simply because we are in need of his skillset

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I recall Todd Nelson was a pretty good AHL coach.
I guess the question I have is who is he at developing players in Detroit? One of the complaints here is lack of players being developed. He was here for 5 years and didn't really developed a lot.

Is he a good AHL coach in terms of just winning? Or is he a good AHL coach that can develop players while winning?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Jesus, Jones has had a tough start to the year...

Might be an idea to send him and Mantha to the ECHL for a bit, and let them focus on get their feet back under them. There's just too many young guys on that blueline.

Focus on Bear and Paigin for now and once they've acclimatized to the AHL re-interoduce Jones and Mantha around the new year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Also on the topic of why this team's forward development has sucked; if you want my opinion, it's because there seems to be little plan on getting rookies and young guys into a roles where they can succeed.

What I mean by that is there doesn't seem to be a lot of focus on the individual level, rather it's a "good luck boys and we'll see if any of you rise to the occasion". In the end most all of them get confined to depth roles.

If you've got an offensive rookie, get him into the top 6 with a couple of vets to start off wih. This team loves to start guys like Platzer or Chase in 3rd/4th line roles, but they always struggle to work their way out of those. My guess it's because they didn't make it to the pros playing those types of roles, and are completely lost in them). Put them with guys that can carry them off the bat, and let them get a little confidence.

If they fail then, so be it, but at least you know they failed vs. never giving them a chance. If they're not good enough to make the AHL top 6 to begin with, then get them to the ECHL ASAP so they don't stagnant.

If you want a good example of this, just go down the road and compare Bennett vs. Tkachuk in Calgary. One is stapled to one of the best two way combos in the league, they other is played with Brouwer told he needs to earn a top 6 role. Guess which one is going to look good, and which one won't.

Last edited:

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
Puljujarvi gets his first of the season on the PP, ends up being the game winner in a 5-2 decision against Manitoba. He was -1 with 3 shots. He's currently shooting at 4% on the season. He'll get there. Bear and Jones with zeroes across the sheet barring a minor penalty to Jones.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If you've got an offensive rookie, get him into the top 6 with a couple of vets to start off wih. This team loves to start guys like Platzer or Chase in 3rd/4th line roles, but they always struggle to work their way out of those. My guess it's because they didn't make it to the pros playing those types of roles, and are completely lost in them). Put them with guys that can carry them off the bat, and let them get a little confidence.

If they fail then, so be it, but at least you know they failed vs. never giving them a chance. If they're not good enough to make the AHL top 6 to begin with, then get them to the ECHL ASAP so they don't stagnant.

If you want a good example of this, just go down the road and compare Bennett vs. Tkachuk in Calgary. One is stapled to one of the best two way combos in the league, they other is played with Brouwer told he needs to earn a top 6 role. Guess which one is going to look good, and which one won't.
I kinda get where you're going with this, but it's kind of a flawed idea imo. While there are some exceptions, essentially every player moving up to the AHL ranks played in a top 6/top 4 role with their respective junior/NCAA/European clubs. A big part of development is determining where a player could potentially slot in to the big club down the road, and preparing them for that role. Guys like Platzer and Chase were never going to be top 6 players, but both were guys who drew praise for their two way game in junior and were looked at as players who could potentially carve out careers as bottom 6 forwards. By putting them in that role early it allows them more time to try to adjust from being one of the go to guys on their previous team to being a complimentary player. Sometimes it doesn't work out but such is the nature of player development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad