Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '17-18 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Stand outs from last night (stats wise, I wasn't able to watch)

Vessel with another goal, 2 points all together
Benson with an assist
Bear with 2 points
Marody with 1 assist

Next year's team is going to be a lot more interesting to follow.

Yeah looks like next year might be the first season that the Oilers actually have a number of legit prospects playing at the AHL level simultaneously. The year beyond that will be interesting too with Maksimov, Safin and Samorukov turning pro, with Berglund making the jump too. Finally got some decent prospects in the pipeline.

The one thing Chiarelli gets credit for is that starting next year I think we finally see a farm team where we have several intriguing options for callups. Not AHL journeymen, but legit young prospects with NHL potential in all different kinds of roles!

Didn't see this post before I posted, but yeah. If there's one thing that Chia has done well it's to restock the cupboards and add some legit prospects. Now if we could only get a good AHL coach too to develop these guys. Imagine having our own Jon Cooper type coach down there. That would've been something.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Watching some of the replays from the last couple Condors game, man those 3 look good (Marody, Benson, Vesel). Marody and Benson are both great playmakers, and they both had some beautiful passes. I still think that's Benson's strength's (his vision/IQ and playmaking) are high level and thats why I'm not all that worried about his skating like some are. He set up more than a few grade A chances last game from below the goal line on the PP. By all accounts Samorukov looked great as well in his time there. I think Safin probably should spend another year in the Q, and Samorukov will spend another at the AHL level.

Assuming they sign Vesel, its going to be exciting to follow the progression of Benson, Vesel, Marody, Jones, and Bear, as well as potentially Berglund and Lagesson, and Yamamoto if he doesn't make the Oilers. Then you have guys like Maksimov, Safin, Samorukov and potentially McPhee, Rasanen, and Marino coming in over the next 2-3 years.

This group feels a lot more promising than what we've had over the last decade. They still need to keep progressing and prove it at the pro-level, but its a good start.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Watching some of the replays from the last couple Condors game, man those 3 look good (Marody, Benson, Vesel). Marody and Benson are both great playmakers, and they both had some beautiful passes. I still think that's Benson's strength's (his vision/IQ and playmaking) are high level and thats why I'm not all that worried about his skating like some are. He set up more than a few grade A chances last game from below the goal line on the PP. By all accounts Samorukov looked great as well in his time there. I think Safin probably should spend another year in the Q, and Samorukov will spend another at the AHL level.

Assuming they sign Vesel, its going to be exciting to follow the progression of Benson, Vesel, Marody, Jones, and Bear, as well as potentially Berglund and Lagesson, and Yamamoto if he doesn't make the Oilers. Then you have guys like Maksimov, Safin, Samorukov and potentially McPhee, Rasanen, and Marino coming in over the next 2-3 years.

This group feels a lot more promising than what we've had over the last decade. They still need to keep progressing and prove it at the pro-level, but its a good start.
Vesel and Samorukov were the biggest surprises to me imo.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So what would be some reasons as to why Vesel wouldn't have a contract already if we were planning on giving him one? Seems weird you sign Marody right when his season ends, and ditto with Larkin. So what could be the wait for Vesel?

Makes me wonder if we're looking at an AHL deal for him rather than an NHL one and he wants to wait to see if he can get an NHL offer in the summer first.

I feel like I say this every year, and it certainly makes me come across as a curmudgeonly bastard, but I'll believe it when I see it. Having a nice handful of games to end the season is great, but I need to see some of these guys actually excel down there for an entire season before I get excited for them.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I was thinking the same re:Vesel, but I really hope we can give him an entry level deal. Never know, he could turn out to be something. He's no worse than Larkin at least.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I was thinking the same re:Vesel, but I really hope we can give him an entry level deal. Never know, he could turn out to be something. He's no worse than Larkin at least.
He seems substantially better than Larkin. But that should have been obvious knowing the disparity between the two leagues they were playing in.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I feel like I say this every year, and it certainly makes me come across as a curmudgeonly bastard, but I'll believe it when I see it. Having a nice handful of games to end the season is great, but I need to see some of these guys actually excel down there for an entire season before I get excited for them.

Agreed. How long has it been since the Oilers actually brought up a crop of NHL players through the AHL that were meaningful contributors? I guess back in the days of Torres, Stoll, Pisani, Horcoff? They need that more than ever now, and it's been over a decade since they got it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Agreed. How long has it been since the Oilers actually brought up a crop of NHL players through the AHL that were meaningful contributors? I guess back in the days of Torres, Stoll, Pisani, Horcoff? They need that more than ever now, and it's been over a decade since they got it.

Totally agree. We're lucky to see one graduate per year it seems lately. We need to get back to pumping out a couple decent depth players yearly at the minor level.

It's funny when we couldn't get a real quality first line players, we were pretty good at developing average to above average 2nd through 4th liners and bottom 2 pairing dmen. Now that we finally have managed to get first line players, we can't develop any of these mid-tier players.

Look at the current lineup. We only have Khaira that we drafted and developed for more than 60 games in the AHL. That's terrible. Even looking at the players drafted and developed but are no longer with the organization and that list only grows to include Pitlick, Marincin, Petry and Davidson (and that's going all the way back to 2006 draft picks). All we have to show for those 4 is Gryba, Jones and a part of Talbot. You could possibly consider a future 3rd rounder as well but that is moreso the product of a astute waiver pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterD

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what would be some reasons as to why Vesel wouldn't have a contract already if we were planning on giving him one? Seems weird you sign Marody right when his season ends, and ditto with Larkin. So what could be the wait for Vesel?

Makes me wonder if we're looking at an AHL deal for him rather than an NHL one and he wants to wait to see if he can get an NHL offer in the summer first.

Pretty much. It shouldn't be hard to be better than we are. It's not hard to go out and sign some top flight AHL players to get this team more stable. We need a couple of guys that regardless of what happens will still be there for the season. Not we call up 3 or 4 guys and we are left with nothing and the team struggles.

Two years for sure now that we don't have anyone amongst the leaders

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Totally agree. We're lucky to see one graduate per year it seems lately. We need to get back to pumping out a couple decent depth players yearly at the minor level.

It's funny when we couldn't get a real quality first line players, we were pretty good at developing average to above average 2nd through 4th liners and bottom 2 pairing dmen. Now that we finally have managed to get first line players, we can't develop any of these mid-tier players.

Look at the current lineup. We only have Khaira that we drafted and developed for more than 60 games in the AHL. That's terrible. Even looking at the players drafted and developed but are no longer with the organization and that list only grows to include Pitlick, Marincin, Petry and Davidson (and that's going all the way back to 2006 draft picks). All we have to show for those 4 is Gryba, Jones and a part of Talbot. You could possibly consider a future 3rd rounder as well but that is moreso the product of a astute waiver pickup.
Guys like Nurse, JP, Klefbom, Benning, Cagiula should've all been in the AHL for a lot longer than they were. You start putting those guys in the NHL instead of the AHL and that's why you have nothing to develop. How many propsects can you really expect to have? It's just unfortunate that the AHL really isn't being used by this team.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Guys like Nurse, JP, Klefbom, Benning, Cagiula should've all been in the AHL for a lot longer than they were. You start putting those guys in the NHL instead of the AHL and that's why you have nothing to develop. How many propsects can you really expect to have? It's just unfortunate that the AHL really isn't being used by this team.

Agreed the fast track is always at play with the Oilers. Will be interesting to see what they do with Bear, Yamamoto, etc next year and whether they "develop" in the AHL or throw them right into the fire.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I think we finally started to see the proper use of this team on defense with Bear, Jones and Mantha. Lagesson should be coming over on the back end to. Now we will have Morody, Benson and Larkin next year. Potentially Safin and Maximov the year after. Its a process but it seems to be heading in the right direction!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think we finally started to see the proper use of this team on defense with Bear, Jones and Mantha. Lagesson should be coming over on the back end to. Now we will have Morody, Benson and Larkin next year. Potentially Safin and Maximov the year after. Its a process but it seems to be heading in the right direction!
That's because those guys were miles behind higher end prospects that had more exposure or NCAA guys who have played against men for years

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone notice What Eddie Pasquale did once he left Bakersfield this year? Shot up to 4th in GAA and 5th in SPCT. Did horrid in the playoffs though.

Curious what we end up doing next year with our goalies. Is it the Brossoit and Ellis show? Do they move one of those guys and just run a vet in Montoya to hopefully stabilize the team? Right now does anyone really deserve to be saved a spot?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Anyone notice What Eddie Pasquale did once he left Bakersfield this year? Shot up to 4th in GAA and 5th in SPCT. Did horrid in the playoffs though.

Curious what we end up doing next year with our goalies. Is it the Brossoit and Ellis show? Do they move one of those guys and just run a vet in Montoya to hopefully stabilize the team? Right now does anyone really deserve to be saved a spot?
My best guess is Shane Starett will be one of the goalies, then the other will be one of Montoya/Brossoit/Ellis. Starett is signed and did extremely well in the ECHL and AHL when he was given the chance.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Vesel, Benson, Yamamoto and Hebig is a nice injection of talent.
It is, but it's also a lot of very young guys. We haven't had the best luck transitioning our junior players to the AHL. It's a big step up in competition for these kids. Hopefully Woodcroft knows what he's doing...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It is, but it's also a lot of very young guys. We haven't had the best luck transitioning our junior players to the AHL. It's a big step up in competition for these kids. Hopefully Woodcroft knows what he's doing...

It is, but AHL vets haven’t gotten us much of anywhere. I’d rather stink with the rookies than be mediocre with guys like Hamilton, Downing, and Christoffer.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It is, but AHL vets haven’t gotten us much of anywhere. I’d rather stink with the rookies than be mediocre with guys like Hamilton, Downing, and Christoffer.
I'd rather be good with good rookies and good vets.

There needs to be a happy medium. You go too far one way and you end up with prospects who don't get enough ice time or opportunity to develop their skills at the pro level. You go too far the other way and you end up with prospects who drown because there is no support on the roster.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd rather be good with good rookies and good vets.

There needs to be a happy medium. You go too far one way and you end up with prospects who don't get enough ice time or opportunity to develop their skills at the pro level. You go too far the other way and you end up with prospects who drown because there is no support on the roster.

I think we’re going to get worse at the AHL level before we get better. Next year is going to be painful I think. Year after will be better and by the time guys like Samorukov/Maksimov/Safin/Rasanen/McPhee/Kemp are ready to make the pro jump hopefully things will be better sorted.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Agreed. Not much point and I’m guessing LB will be itching for a fresh start. KHL or Germany/Austria is my bet.
I think LB won’t be offered a new deal.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather dump Montoya, keep LB and run with him and Starett in Bako. LB had a rough year but he's just turned 25 and he could still turn it around imo.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Anyone care to speculate on whether they sign any of the Bako RFA’s or UFA’s Still thin on both wings.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe we should get some good vets though. Guys that if the prospects are called up to the NHL are still in the AHL to lead the team.

Hopefully if we end up calling up a few prospects you'd still have something that resembles a top ahl line to shelter the lessor guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad