Bain Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
gr8haluschak said:
Yeah as much as I think there can be some merrit to this it will never happen for the sole fact that all 30 teams need to agree and the Ontario Teachers will never allow that since they would stand to lose the most from a deal like this.

But they would also stand to gain the most since teams wouldn't be paid out evenly. The Leafs might get $300m-400m while low end teams get $80m-100m. If the money is good enough the Pension fund should sell.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
I would imagine that if Donald Trump were interested in owning a hockey team he would have bought one by now. The man is only interested in things that stand to make not only a profit, but a tidy one. An NHL team simply isn't going to do that.

I also don't think all smaller market teams are going to beg to be sold. We're considered small market and I seriously doubt our owner is going to be willing to sell because if he does, he loses the building. That's where the money really lies and it's an extremely successful entertainment venue. I don't see him letting it go anytime soon. Just IMO.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Boltsfan2029 said:
I seriously doubt our owner is going to be willing to sell because if he does, he loses the building. That's where the money really lies
sigh .... how ironic..

so the owner needs the hockey team to make money from his building, yet the players have no right to be paid from proceeds the owner derives from said building ?

according to you, no hockey team = loss of arena revenue "the real money".

Thats why linkage sucks, because it wont include all sources of hockey related revenue, its too easy to hide it in the arena for example ... the owners should be allowed to pay the players from whatever source of revenue they want, hockey, arena, pizza or pocket money. the owners should be free to invest in their teams and each market is different.

round and round we go ...

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
DR said:
Thats why linkage sucks, because it wont include all sources of hockey related revenue, its too easy to hide it in the arena for example ...

The hockey team doesn't own the arena. I don't see how revenue derived from the upcoming Rolling Stones concert, the circus or Finding Nemo on Ice is hockey related. What exactly would the Lightning have to do with selling out a Josh Groban concert? Why should players get a cut of the revenue from Tony Hawks Boom Boom Hawk Jam (or whatever it's called)? What part of NHL hockey draws the fans to see those other events? Which parts of the revenue from those events are hockey related?

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
sigh .... how ironic..

so the owner needs the hockey team to make money from his building, yet the players have no right to be paid from proceeds the owner derives from said building ?

Thats why linkage sucks, because it wont include all sources of hockey related revenue, its too easy to hide it in the arena for example ... the owners should be allowed to pay the players from whatever source of revenue they want, hockey, arena, pizza or pocket money. the owners should be free to invest in their teams and each market is different.

Gotcha. So because you work in Bankers Hall you deserve a cut of the action from all the tenants in the building? And because CNRL is in that building, and because Edwards and Markin own the Flames, you deserve a chunk of the Saddledome revenues as well? You're right, round and round we go, because your logic is dizzying.

:amazed:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Boltsfan2029 said:
The hockey team doesn't own the arena. I don't see how revenue derived from the upcoming Rolling Stones concert, the circus or Finding Nemo on Ice is hockey related. What exactly would the Lightning have to do with selling out a Josh Groban concert? Why should players get a cut of the revenue from Tony Hawks Boom Boom Hawk Jam (or whatever it's called)? What part of NHL hockey draws the fans to see those other events? Which parts of the revenue from those events are hockey related?
because, as you said, without the hockey team, he wouldnt own the arena to make money from the Rolling Stones etc ...

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
Gotcha. So because you work in Bankers Hall you deserve a cut of the action from all the tenants in the building? And because CNRL is in that building, and because Edwards and Markin own the Flames, you deserve a chunk of the Saddledome revenues as well? You're right, round and round we go, because your logic is dizzying.

:amazed:
my point is that if i am providing you a service that provides you the resources to earn money from owning Bankers Hall, you should not be prohibited from paying me for my services from those resources.

dr

WC Handy*

DR said:
because, as you said, without the hockey team, he wouldnt own the arena to make money from the Rolling Stones etc ...

dr

So if the owner of the arena also built two city blocks of retail space when he built the arena, does the revenue that those stores generate count as hockey revenue too?

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
WC Handy said:
So if the owner of the arena also built two city blocks of retail space when he built the arena, does the revenue that those stores generate count as hockey revenue too?

Of course! :sarcasm:

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
me2 said:
26 Atlanta Thrashers 106

Depending on the way you look at it, when Atlanta Spirit LLC bought the Hawks, the Thrashers, and the operating rights to Philips Arena, they either:

A.) Bought the arena rights and had the two tenants thrown in.
B.) Bought the Thrashers and the arena rights and the Hawks were thrown in as a bonus.
C.) Bought the Hawks and the arena rights, and got the Thrashers thrown in as a bonus.

Myself, I go with B.

The only group that would benefit from Bain buying out the NHL would be the group behind the long running attempt to restart the WHA. If the NHL owners are bought out, they might use that money to buy franchises in the WHA, and that could give some legitimacy to the league.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
WC Handy said:
of course not, presumably they hold their value with our without the hockey team. i was responding the posters claim that the TBY owner wouldnt sell his hockey team because he would then lose his arena, where the "real money" is.

can you not see the connection ?

dr

Sammy*

DR said:
of course not, presumably they hold their value with our without the hockey team. i was responding the posters claim that the TBY owner wouldnt sell his hockey team because he would then lose his arena, where the "real money" is.

dr
No, you are wrong. All sorts of business in and around an arena benefit from hockey games been played at the arena, as do all sorts not around the arena. Accordingly, it increases their value.
You should maybe try talking to the owners of a sports bar here in Edmonton.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
DR said:

dr

LOL!!

And without Mr. Davidson's glass business, he wouldn't have enough money to buy the hockey team to have the lease to the building, so the players should get a cut of that, too? Might as well throw in rights to revenue generated by the Pistons.

I think I'm owed a nice chunk of Coca-Cola's revenues since they profit from selling their product to the restaurant which gets my hard-earned lunch money, and without the restaurants and lots of lunch money, Coca-Cola wouldn't be able to make the money it does...

Wishful thinking, at best.

Business can't be viewed with a romantic or idealistic eye. Just doesn’t work that way.

Last edited:

WC Handy*

DR said:

dr

Whether there's a connection or not, your point is not valid. Events held at the arena other than hockey are not hockey related revenue. If there is a basketball team in the building owned by the same guy then do the basketball games count as hockey related revenue? Then why do concerts and Disney on Ice count as hockey related revenue? Fact of the matter is that without the hockey team, those events are still coming to that arena.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Boltsfan2029 said:
I seriously doubt our owner is going to be willing to sell because if he does, he loses the building. That's where the money really lies

Why not just sell the team, continue to operate the building, and charge the Bain group rent?

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
my point is that if i am providing you a service that provides you the resources to earn money from owning Bankers Hall, you should not be prohibited from paying me for my services from those resources.

dr

So as I said, because you provide sys admin services that keep Bankers Hall running does that entitle you to a chunk of all the revenues generated from Bankers Hall? From what you are saying you provide a service that benefits all the leasors, so you are entitled to a chunk of all revenues generated from the guy that put up the $300 million to erect the towers because you provide such an important service. You are correct that nothing prevents the owners from paying you as you describe, nothing but common sense and business acumen.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
ceber said:
Why not just sell the team, continue to operate the building, and charge the Bain group rent?

Because he who owns the team owns the leasehold rights as the team is the "primary tenant." Sell the team, the building goes with it. There's no way around it, that's the way the deal was written with the county (which owns the building).

mackdogs*

DR said:
sigh .... how ironic..

Quick question for you here DR - should the owners get a cut of the players advertising deals? Or maybe take this into account to offset how much salary they are paid? Round and round we go? Sounds like are stuck on a one-way street. It's called give and take, not take.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
mackdogs said:
Manchester United fans thought the same of their team until recently...

I think there's a huge difference between buying up the shares of a company listed on the stock market as opposed to trying to buy out 30 businesses privately owned by individuals.

Matter of fact, I think it's night and day.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
mackdogs said:
Quick question for you here DR - should the owners get a cut of the players advertising deals? Or maybe take this into account to offset how much salary they are paid? Round and round we go? Sounds like are stuck on a one-way street. It's called give and take, not take.

One step further...

Should the owners get a share of any business set up by the players? I'm sure in many cases, they used their fame as hockey players to market their businesses. They wouldn't be able to do that without the fame that being an NHL player brought them. Why should the players be allowed to profit off the NHL (EDIT: outside of their salary)?

Round and round?

Brent Burns Beard