Bain Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I think this is Bettman's idea to put pressure on PA.

If that group gets all the teams, they can take PA's december 9th offer and introduce a self-imposed $20M salary cap for every team in the league, the CEO of the corporation will tell all GMs that your budget for salaries is $20M and that's it, PA can't do anything about it.

That would mean a $600M pay-roll, meaning the company would make huge profits once they get to raise the revenues back to pre-lockout levels. For example, if we assume that their total costs would be $1B, they would make hundreds of millions of profit every year meaning they could cover the investment costs in ~10 years or so.

EDIT: personally I'd love to see this happening, that would teach the PA a good lesson.

WC Handy*

I'd love for all the NHL owners to combine into one company.

I'd hate to see an outside company come in buy all the teams.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
EDIT: personally I'd love to see this happening, that would teach the PA a good lesson.
and the NHL would have the same credability as the WWE, Slam Ball and Roller Derby.

DR

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
As the lockout extends, the Bain offer gets bigger, while the NHL's offers get worse.

If the owners could combine into one large company, where they each become a small minority shareholder of a larger company, would they want to? I find it hard to believe. Its not in their nature.

The NFL owners currently have an official trust agreement to share everything, and the largest of the arch capitalists wants out because the nature of that agreement becomes a disincentive to grow their markets.

My suspicion would be that it's the Owners, not the players, more against such a combination.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Pepper said:
I think this is Bettman's idea to put pressure on PA.

If that group gets all the teams, they can take PA's december 9th offer and introduce a self-imposed $20M salary cap for every team in the league, the CEO of the corporation will tell all GMs that your budget for salaries is $20M and that's it, PA can't do anything about it.

That would mean a $600M pay-roll, meaning the company would make huge profits once they get to raise the revenues back to pre-lockout levels. For example, if we assume that their total costs would be $1B, they would make hundreds of millions of profit every year meaning they could cover the investment costs in ~10 years or so.

Some people live in a glass house with a paper bag over their head. It was proven last year that the NHL is not the only place for players to play. Even if a CBA is signed, their will still be a flock of Euro's heading back home or staying there in the case of Ovechkin, as a Super League is gaining a foot hold over seas. The lower the NHL salaries get, the closer the NHL comes to becoming just another Pro Hockey League. The only thing that makes the NHL today an elite league is the big salaries that lure the players to North America. I would suggest the European fan hopes your wish comes true.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
WC Handy said:
I'd love for all the NHL owners to combine into one company.

I'd hate to see an outside company come in buy all the teams.

You would have to get past the fact that the strong majority of these guys hate each other example

Kroenke and Laurie - the two that almost destroyed the Walmart empire with there hate for each other

Dolan - He is one of the most hated men in NY. His tactics running his broadcast empire are not the strongest ethically (just ask the city of NY right now)

McCaw and Wang - LOL this one is funny goes to the Microsoft CA wars years ago, that hate goes a long way back

This doesn't include the Ilitch vs take your pick, or the fact that none of them like Wirtz and I just don't see these guys being business partners

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Mighty Duck said:
Some people live in a glass house with a paper bag over their head. It was proven last year that the NHL is not the only place for players to play. Even if a CBA is signed, their will still be a flock of Euro's heading back home or staying there in the case of Ovechkin, as a Super League is gaining a foot hold over seas. The lower the NHL salaries get, the closer the NHL comes to becoming just another Pro Hockey League. The only thing that makes the NHL today an elite league is the big salaries that lure the players to North America. I would suggest the European fan hopes your wish comes true.

I'm an european fan and I can tell you that you're living in a dream world, that's a myth created by the pro-PA yahoos who also thought that WHA is a viable alternative for players. Guess again.

$20M salary cap would mean ~$870K average salary (23 player roster), best paid players in FEL & SEL get max $350K per year and have to pay heavy taxes.

Super League is paying more but even their average salary is far from NHL's, something like $200-300K at best. Ak Bars who had the biggest budget of all euro teams made huge losses as they play in a very small arena (attendance average what 3000 or something), they can't pay that kind of salaries for long and the owner has even admitted that much.

So the best players will still play in NHL as they do currently.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Mighty Duck said:

Pepper stated much of what needs to be said, I'll add that there are only 3 or 4 teams in europe that draws more than 10.000 average in attendance and that's with a 50-56 game schedule. And thats for this year when all the NHL stars played in Europe.. Tickets prices in the SEL/FEL are about $15-$25 US. There are also no real TV deals, there are some private sponsors and some minor companies but the money is nowhere near what the NHL will offer even with as low as a 15-20 million dollar salary cap. The average SEL team has a payroll of probably 3-4 million dollars per year. It's probably a bit less in Finland, and probably a bit more in Germany, Russia or Switzerland, but it's still pretty much an even playing field in europe. This could change if the Russians start building real arenas and get their economy going (hey, it could happen).

You are also underestimating these sportsmens competitiveness. There is only one Stanley Cup. The NHL will even with a significantly lower average payroll be by far the best league in the world, and most sportsmen want to prove themselves by playing against the best.

What you could see though, is a trend that European players might return home 2-3 years earlier if there is less money to get out of free agency. Especially if their home leagues continue to develop their economies.

WC Handy*

vanlady said:
Kroenke and Laurie - the two that almost destroyed the Walmart empire with there hate for each other

Say what? I've never heard anything about those two hating each other and they both own a team in the city I live in.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
and the NHL would have the same credability as the WWE, Slam Ball and Roller Derby.

DR

After this lockout is complete they will likely already be there without selling off the league.

Brent Burns Beard