Baertschi now out

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don't mind another tank season and I don't mind at all if it results in a management change but in being fair I have to say that the team has showed much better signs this year, and while people will blame Benning for no depth, the injury bug in the first 30 games has been pretty ruthless.

All lost for significant periods in the first 30 games

Edler,
Tanev
Stecher
Gubrandson
Sutter
Horvat
Baertschi
Dorsett

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
I'm feeling the same way. This years team is much better to watch. It's too bad for all the injuries. They seemed to survive the ones to defense, but it shows the lack of depth on offense when 2 young guys out kill them.
That being said, they seem to have some decent prospects now, and will get another high pick.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
and here come the excuses from management.

I wonder if Bob Murray in ANA is going to have a similar press statement this year? Excuse after excuse after excuse.

I was enjoying what Baertschi was doing earlier, but he had tailed off well before his injury. Hoping he heals fast and comes back strong.
The organization needs to know what they have in him, for his new deal.

Reactions: travis scott

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't mind another tank season and I don't mind at all if it results in a management change but in being fair I have to say that the team has showed much better signs this year, and while people will blame Benning for no depth, the injury bug in the first 30 games has been pretty ruthless.

All lost for significant periods in the first 30 games

Edler,
Tanev
Stecher
Gubrandson
Sutter
Horvat
Baertschi
Dorsett

Not really. Among their 6 best forwards they've lost only 15 of 180 man games so far, 12 of which are from Eriksson alone. Boeser, Horvat, Baertschi, and the Sedins have missed 3 games between them.

They've been hit a bit harder on defense, but it's nothing that doesn't happen every single year. I'm not sure Stecher's 15 minutes and Gudbranson's 17 minutes have been all that hard to replace. Edler and Tanev's absences have been more impactful, but again, this is something that happens every season.

Anyway, this injury sucks for Baertschi, but he really wasn't doing a whole lot once he wasn't playing with Boeser and Horvat. He has 1 point and 9 shots in his last 8 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not really. Among their 6 best forwards they've lost only 15 of 180 man games so far, 12 of which are from Eriksson alone. Boeser, Horvat, Baertschi, and the Sedins have missed 3 games between them.

They've been hit a bit harder on defense, but it's nothing that doesn't happen every single year. I'm not sure Stecher's 15 minutes and Gudbranson's 17 minutes have been all that hard to replace. Edler and Tanev's absences have been more impactful, but again, this is something that happens every season.

Anyway, this injury sucks for Baertschi, but he really wasn't doing a whole lot once he wasn't playing with Boeser and Horvat. He has 1 point and 9 shots in his last 8 games.

Yup. Let's try to remember that this team is sitting in 11th in the conference right now and are slightly above middle-of-the-pack in terms of injuries. Because you know the INJURIES! excuse will be coming out hard in the next couple months from management.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Tank nation reading this like

But in all honesty, we were already screwed after Bo was out. And we do need another blue chip.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this sucks in terms of baertschi and horvat both missing time in prime seasons for them. it also sucks in terms of hockey viewer pleasure, and i think it sucks for goldobin's development that we can't shelter him at all, and possibly for some others as well.

it also sucks for utica who are about to lose somebody.

in terms of keeping team expectations low this year and putting us in position for another lottery pick, it is good news. hard to believe ownership would want a panic trade just to bridge 6 weeks, so hopefully we do a midseason tank and then finish strong.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yup. Let's try to remember that this team is sitting in 11th in the conference right now and are slightly above middle-of-the-pack in terms of injuries. Because you know the INJURIES! excuse will be coming out hard in the next couple months from management.

why do they need to make excuses? nobody was expecting us to be competitive this year. it's been a pleasant surprise.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Those going on about excuses might want to think what losing most of your first line would do to any NHL team.

I think any team would struggle with this. Granted we should be at least 3 deep on first liners in every position to make up for this.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully,Bo and Sven will be back after the all-star break....On the downside, in January,there's that back to back in Toronto,and onto Montreal......Two games I really look forward to,with 2/3 of the BBB line out....sucks.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Those going on about excuses might want to think what losing most of your first line would do to any NHL team.

I think any team would struggle with this. Granted we should be at least 3 deep on first liners in every position to make up for this.

The Canucks are 11th in the conference with a negative goal differential while having their 1st line healthy for 87 of 90 man games so far. Their entire top 6 has been healthy for 165 of 180 man games. Injuries aren't why they're bad.

Horvat missing the last 2 games and Baertschi missing part of the last game aren't why the team has 6 wins in their last 15 games.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
When injuries take out 2/3 of your top line for 4-6 weeks, that's a tiny bit different than losing Gudbranson or Eriksson. Hate Bennning and Linden as much as anyone else around here, but that is a really serious blow that no NHL team would be unaffected by. Still, hopefully it hastens the demise of our clueless overlords.

Those injuries affect the team, yes. Just as ANA is affected by having Getzlaf and Kesler out. Should it tank the season? No. That's the difference between a team that is put together well, and one that is not. Maybe a good team builds up a cushion to sustain injuries? Or at least hangs in.

How does losing Horvat for 2 games and just losing Baertschi equate to a bottom10 "competitive" team. One that is expected to now free fall to the bottom? We hear that word "competitive" over and over again from management. What does it really mean when the team is already looking up at the playoff bar with 1 key injury up front, 30 games in?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
When injuries take out 2/3 of your top line for 4-6 weeks, that's a tiny bit different than losing Gudbranson or Eriksson. Hate Bennning and Linden as much as anyone else around here, but that is a really serious blow that no NHL team would be unaffected by. Still, hopefully it hastens the demise of our clueless overlords.

our "1st line" is a 2nd line on pretty much every other team. I think it shows just how far this team is away from being good again when these kind of injuries are so devastating. Baertschi is a marginal and inconsistent 2nd liner that we should be able to replace rather easily.

This should be a lesson to anybody that thinks we are on the upswing. This is a bad team that is poorly constructed and is years away from being where Winnipeg is currently. This team is doomed if Horvat is your #1 center and Bae is your #1 LW.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Just start losing every game 2-4 now with Boeser and Virtanen scoring, so we can get the tank rolling. You just can't escape these injuries. Trade Granlund, Guds and Vanek and take back some roster depth crap so we don't get totally humiliated.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
our "1st line" is a 2nd line on pretty much every other team. I think it shows just how far this team is away from being good again when these kind of injuries are so devastating. Baertschi is a marginal and inconsistent 2nd liner that we should be able to replace rather easily.

This should be a lesson to anybody that thinks we are on the upswing. This is a bad team that is poorly constructed and is years away from being where Winnipeg is currently. This team is doomed if Horvat is your #1 center and Bae is your #1 LW.
The Jets have had one playoff appearance in 6 years (one and done in the first round)..They've had a lot of high picks,and are not exactly a banner of success....There's still plenty of time left in the season for them to crap the bed,which they seem to be able to do on a yearly basis.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Injuries are always tough to an organisation, but this is a great opportunity for the kids to step up and show what they're made of. Lets see what guys like Goldobin and Virtanen do during this period. With more ice-time, maybe Granlund starts producing like he did last year. Maybe Gaunce steps up and (finally) starts burying his chances.

This will be a tough stretch, no doubt, but this should be a great test for our young kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad