Confirmed with Link: Baerstchi has been assigned to Abbotsford

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Don't know where to put this but from a second hand-source, apparently Corban Knight will be the next callup for the Flames. I've heard like a day or two from today, but they're not exactly sure.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Burke will not place a junior eligible player in the AHL, he has already pretty much said Poirier and Klimchuk will be sent back next year because he believes in sending junior age players to junior, the only exceptions are ones that will play top minutes minutes.

I believe Sieloff going to Abbotsford was a Feaster decision and I actually expect him to be sent to Windsor when he is healthy for the simple reason he was being used as a 3rd pairing defensemen before his injury and staph infection.

Klimchuk can't be sent to the AHL next year, as a condition of the agreement between the NHL and CHL. CHL draft picks cannot be loaned to the NHL club's AHL affiliate if the player does not turn 20 before the end of the calendar year at the start of the season. Klimchuk was born in 1995 so the Flames are not allowed to send him to the AHL until the 2015-2016 season. He either makes the Flames in 2014-15 or gets sent back to junior.

Poirier could be sent to Abbotsford next year, if they so chose, because he was born between Sept 15. and Dec. 21, 1994. Keep in mind if the Flames do decide to do this they'll burn a year of his (NHL) contract.

This rule doesn't apply to Sieloff because he didn't begin playing for Windsor until the year after he was drafted. (And this is burning a year off Sieloff's contract.)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Klimchuk can't be sent to the AHL next year, as a condition of the agreement between the NHL and CHL. CHL draft picks cannot be loaned to the NHL club's AHL affiliate if the player does not turn 20 before the end of the calendar year at the start of the season. Klimchuk was born in 1995 so the Flames are not allowed to send him to the AHL until the 2015-2016 season. He either makes the Flames in 2014-15 or gets sent back to junior.

Poirier could be sent to Abbotsford next year, if they so chose, because he was born between Sept 15. and Dec. 21, 1994. Keep in mind if the Flames do decide to do this they'll burn a year of his (NHL) contract.

This rule doesn't apply to Sieloff because he didn't begin playing for Windsor until the year after he was drafted. (And this is burning a year off Sieloff's contract.)
I am well aware of the rules thank you. In fact I already mentioned 2 of the 3 players saying exactly what you did.

And as for Sieloff, we all know why he was AHL eligible.

And in regards to Poirier and Sieloff's ELC and a year burning off them in the AHL (this year for Sieloff and next year for Poirier) no they will not burn a year off their ELCs, it won't unless they play in 10 NHL games. All ELCs can slide for the first 2 years after a player is drafted unless they play 10 or more games in the NHL.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I am well aware of the rules thank you. In fact I already mentioned 2 of the 3 players saying exactly what you did.

And as for Sieloff, we all know why he was AHL eligible.

And in regards to Poirier and Sieloff's ELC and a year burning off them in the AHL (this year for Sieloff and next year for Poirier) no they will not burn a year off their ELCs, it won't unless they play in 10 NHL games. All ELCs can slide for the first 2 years after a player is drafted unless they play 10 or more games in the NHL.

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. :D

I thought Sieloff's contract would not slide for a year because he's not required to be sent back to junior, and that by virtue of playing pro he'd be paid for a year of the contract. But you're right, the provision for a 'sliding' year is 9 games or less in the NHL, not NHL and/or AHL despite the fact a 19-year-old normally wouldn't play in the AHL.

Not all ELCs can slide for the first two years though. A contract signed by an 18-year-old can. A contract signed by a 19-year-old can only slide for one year. Sieloff was 19, therefore the maximum number of years his contract can slide is only one. An ELC signed by a player 20 or older cannot slide at all (e.g. Tyler Wotherspoon).

Poirier's an interesting situation by virtue of being born on December 14 (his 19th birthday is tomorrow). The quirk of the rules that allows him to be AHL-eligible as a 19-year-old also means that if Poirier doesn't sign a contract with the Flames by the end of this calendar year then none of his years can slide.

Section 9.1 (d) (i) of the CBA:

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. :D

I thought Sieloff's contract would not slide for a year because he's not required to be sent back to junior, and that by virtue of playing pro he'd be paid for a year of the contract. But you're right, the provision for a 'sliding' year is 9 games or less in the NHL, not NHL and/or AHL despite the fact a 19-year-old normally wouldn't play in the AHL.

Not all ELCs can slide for the first two years though. A contract signed by an 18-year-old can. A contract signed by a 19-year-old can only slide for one year. Sieloff was 19, therefore the maximum number of years his contract can slide is only one. An ELC signed by a player 20 or older cannot slide at all (e.g. Tyler Wotherspoon).

Poirier's an interesting situation by virtue of being born on December 14 (his 19th birthday is tomorrow). The quirk of the rules that allows him to be AHL-eligible as a 19-year-old also means that if Poirier doesn't sign a contract with the Flames by the end of this calendar year then none of his years can slide.

Section 9.1 (d) (i) of the CBA:

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.
dude, I said the FIRST 2 YEARS AFTER BEING DRAFTED, not after they are signed. In retrospect I worded that badly, but I was thinking that most drafted players are 18. Obviously if a player is drafted at 19 it can only slide for 1 year and never for a 20 year old. But in standard cases what I said was correct.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
dude, I said the FIRST 2 YEARS AFTER BEING DRAFTED, not after they are signed. In retrospect I worded that badly,

Yes, yes you did.

but I was thinking that most drafted players are 18. Obviously if a player is drafted at 19 it can only slide for 1 year and never for a 20 year old. But in standard cases what I said was correct.

Except Poirier is not "a standard case", which is what I said in the first place. Poirier could play in the AHL as a 19-year-old next year but in doing so he would burn a year of his contract. His first contract year would not slide because he was born between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
dude, I said the FIRST 2 YEARS AFTER BEING DRAFTED, not after they are signed. In retrospect I worded that badly, but I was thinking that most drafted players are 18. Obviously if a player is drafted at 19 it can only slide for 1 year and never for a 20 year old. But in standard cases what I said was correct.

It's hard to understand your post if you don't underline key points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad