Not open for further replies.

Mephisto

May 9, 2002
eddieshore.zapto.org
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=77705

Russians clamping down on transfers
Associated Press
3/24/2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - No. 1 draft prospect Alexander Ovechkin might have a tough time getting from Russia to the NHL next season.

The player-transfer contract between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation expires at the end of this season. Some clubs in the Russian elite league have said they do not want to be a part of any new agreement.

please observe rules regarding posting of copyrighted material in FAQ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
"We informed the IIHF that we don't have an interest in doing a new player-transfer agreement if they don't have the Russians included. That's kind of where it sits right now.''

I don't understand what the NHL is trying to gain here. So if they can't bypass cumbersome and costly negotiations with every single party, they might as well throw away all their benefits?

Sure, this could be a way to persuade the IIHF to gather its herd together again, but that's not going to happen.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ovechkin only has a year to go on his contract. Why not wait a year and not pay anything? Another year with Dynamo isn't going to hurt anything, and he can fulfill his military obligation during that time.

Hitman*

Will this mean more high profile Russians will come over to the CHL? This plan could backfire if the Russian teams don't handle it properly.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
Ovechkin only has a year to go on his contract. Why not wait a year and not pay anything? Another year with Dynamo isn't going to hurt anything, and he can fulfill his military obligation during that time.

He's only got 1 year left and is totallly free after that (never know with wacky russian rules)? If that's the case than I agree. I'm sure they'll want to keep him around next year anyway with the military obligations, coupled with the fact that I'm sure it would cost quite a bit of $ to buy out his club (I think Russian teams might be trying to go to the soccer route and sell players on a case hy case basis) and the impending lockout it only makes sense to just wait till next year and take the Russians prized possesion for nothing.

Do you know the contract status of Malkin (all this has got me a bit nervous since he's the one I want the Caps to get....if not Ovy of course)?

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Hitman said:
Will this mean more high profile Russians will come over to the CHL? This plan could backfire if the Russian teams don't handle it properly.

That's exactly what will happen. The kids at 15-16 who know they're going to be able to get a shot at the NHL aren't gonna want to be stuck in Russia when they could just as easily go to the Czech league or CHL and not have to worry about all that BS. Either that or every kid will make damn sure that any contract they sign ends at 18-19 so they can just split for nothing and the Russians don't even get the $100k they get now.

I really hope that the kids over there don't start leaving 'cause I really think it'll hurt their development......OTOH if they come to the CHL they'll get adjusted to the culture and language before they hit the NHL....a helluva thing for a 16 yr old kid to have to go through though (know of any examples of kids that did it?....except Volchkov, I get a pain in my side when he's brought up).

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
b-mad said:
Do you know the contract status of Malkin (all this has got me a bit nervous since he's the one I want the Caps to get....if not Ovy of course)?

Sorry, I don't have any info on Malkin's contract. It should be kept in mind that these kids have agents who are looking to cash in on the NHL bucks too, and they knew the status of the IIHF transfer agreement. It's unlikely a highly rated prospect would sign for more than 2 years (eg Ovechkin signed a 2 year extension in May 2003).

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Transfer Fee question.

Does anyone here know if a player needs to be under contract to a European team to need Transfer Fees paid to bring them to North America or does it just apply to any general European?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Zherdev Fan said:
Does anyone here know if a player needs to be under contract to a European team to need Transfer Fees paid to bring them to North America or does it just apply to any general European?

It only applies to players under contract. The previous transfer agreement can be thought of as a standardized "buyout". There's also no rights conveyed from one league to another by restricted free agent systems. An NHL RFA is considered an UFA in Europe and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->