Bad Expansion Cites that will become good hockey cites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb**

WC Handy said:
Uhhmm. They are south and west. Nice try though.
so if you asked someone if San jose, Colarado, St Louis, and Dallas were west or south of Phila? what do you think the correct asnwer would be, Sw maybe on Dallas the others are west! But not going to beat this to death.

WC Handy*

jb said:
so if you asked someone if San jose, Colarado, St Louis, and Dallas were west or south of Phila? what do you think the correct asnwer would be, Sw maybe on Dallas the others are west! But not going to beat this to death.

They would tell you both.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
blitzkriegs said:
11,000+ posts for someone in their early 40's... :help:
Sure why not ??.. I also don't post single line line responses either .. I often write a small book to discuss a point if need be as well .. Die hard fans of Hockey exist at all ages .. Lots of people older then I .. Some are even well respected Mods around here .. Gee Wally comes to mind off the bat..

Check my profile .. My User ID : 206 .. One of the original first members of the board .. being just over 200 members to join..

One of the very first to re-register after the big crash of the HF boards in 2002 .. and have been a member again since then .. So that is spread out over 3+ years here at Hockey futures .. Check it out 02-27-2002 is the first day of the new HF board.

Your User ID : 10416 quite a differance I would say ..

Last edited:

canes-sth

Feb 21, 2005
jb said:
The teams you mentioned haven't drawn that well lately but the circumstances are different, chicago bad ownership-they have drawnn well previously, same with Boston, they are tired of their cheap owners, Isle need a new arena, NJ-not much of an argument from me there, buffalo we all know their circumstances recently,

Exactly. But why does a "snapshot" hurt new markets without history, but not markets where the ownership is "cheap" or "bad" and attendance has suffered? Are there indications that that will change?

The point is that a franchise snapshot is worthless for any team in any sport.

But my main point is that this self-loathing that results in the suggestion that somewhere between 6 and 24 (lol) franchises should be contracted being offered up as the "way" to fix hockey is bogus. It won't make more people show up in Chicago or Boston. It will be expensive and it will alienate fans.

Should ownership and management of franchises improve? Of course. Should the NHL do a better job in marketing, if only locally/regionally? Of course.

FlyersFan10*

The Messenger said:
Yes that is the exception to every rule .. right there ..

Now a days you could add 10 smaller market teams together and not get the talent of the Oilers teams of the 1980's .. Thus the watered down league comments ..

You can also add the following to your list:

Philadelphia: Bobby Clarke, Bernie Parent, Mark Howe, Bill Barber, Rick Macleish, Brian Propp, Tim Kerr, Pelle Lindberg, Dave Poulin, Reggie Leach, Rick Tocchet.

Randall Graves*

The Messenger said:
I guess you can't be a purist and want the Original 6 NHL back again

Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, NYR

Any expansion after that was bad expansion IMO ..
DON CHERRY IS THAT YOU?

Anything that pisses off don cherry is fine by me, hopefully we'll have teams in alabama and missouri soon.

your ignorance is why I love expansion.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
RallyKiller said:
DON CHERRY IS THAT YOU?

Anything that pisses off don cherry is fine by me, hopefully we'll have teams in alabama and missouri soon.
St. Louis is in Missouri. :propeller

There are the University of Alabama Huntsville Chargers as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
RallyKiller said:
DON CHERRY IS THAT YOU?

your ignorance is why I love expansion.
Really ??

A poster on a message board's state of being gives you that much clarity in your beliefs ??

Have they relocated St. Louis, that I am not aware of ??

The WHA tried Birmingham Alabama as an experiment

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/teamseasons.php?tid=171

In fact the Bulls folded rather then enter the NHL when the WHA merged with the NHL in 1978-79 .. But Edmonton, Winnipeg, New England and Quebec did become NHL teams so that was as close as the NHL came to Alabama ..

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Messenger said:
Sure why not ??.. I also don't post single line line responses either .. I often write a small book to discuss a point if need be as well .. Die hard fans of Hockey exist at all ages .. Lots of people older then I .. Some are even well respected Mods around here .. Gee Wally comes to mind off the bat..

Check my profile .. My User ID : 206 .. One of the original first members of the board .. being just over 200 members to join..

One of the very first to re-register after the big crash of the HF boards in 2002 .. and have been a member again since then .. So that is spread out over 3+ years here at Hockey futures .. Check it out 02-27-2002 is the first day of the new HF board.

Your User ID : 10416 quite a differance I would say ..

My User ID is 35...combined with a loonie, I *might* be able to buy the sunday paper with that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Digger12 said:
My User ID is 35...combined with a loonie, I *might* be able to buy the sunday paper with that.
Turn to the sports section and see if they are projecting an end to the lockout soon.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Messenger said:
Really ??

A poster on a message board's state of being gives you that much clarity in your beliefs ??

Have they relocated St. Louis, that I am not aware of ??

The WHA tried Birmingham Alabama as an experiment

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/teamseasons.php?tid=171

In fact the Bulls folded rather then enter the NHL when the WHA merged with the NHL in 1978-79 .. But Edmonton, Winnipeg, New England and Quebec did become NHL teams so that was as close as the NHL came to Alabama ..
The NHL decided not to take the Bulls.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
The Messenger said:
I guess you can't be a purist and want the Original 6 NHL back again

Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, NYR

Any expansion after that was bad expansion IMO ..

Why do you and other people insist on calling them the "original siz?" Thery weren't the original six anything. There were other NHL teams around long before these 6 teams comprised the NHL. Pittsburgh had and NHL team long before the "origginal six" came came into existance. So did Ottawa and other places.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
arnie said:
Why do you and other people insist on calling them the "original siz?" Thery weren't the original six anything. There were other NHL teams around long before these 6 teams comprised the NHL. Pittsburgh had and NHL team long before the "origginal six" came came into existance. So did Ottawa and other places.
Yep St. Louis Philly, New York had a second team, Quebec. Are we bringing back the Maroons?

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Phoenix is dead last in the league in revenue. 30th freaking place....even less than near-bankrupt teams on league welfare like Buffalo and Edmonton.
2004: 18th in franchise value (higher than the so-called "traditional markets" Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, and Pittsburgh), and 24th in revenue.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/results...ategory2=category&passKeyword=&resultsStart=1

And it was up to 24th playing only half a season at the new Glendale Arena. Give it a full season there and they'll be solidly middle of the pack.

And ObeySteve, you did know they moved into a brand new arena in late December '03 and that before then they played in possibly the worst arena in the league where half the upper deck was obstructed view, didn't you?

Randall Graves*

yes you are correct, I thought about using mississippi.

point is, I am so sick and tired of ignorant people like "the messenger" who can't get over the fact that his team is one of thirty and not one of six.

hopefully we'll have the original 6 all contracted at some point, just so these purist scan shove it.

WC Handy*

The REAL Original Six...

Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Arenas
Ottawa Senators v1.0
Montreal Wanderers
Quebec Bulldogs
Hamilton Tigers

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
canes-sth said:
Exactly. But why does a "snapshot" hurt new markets without history, but not markets where the ownership is "cheap" or "bad" and attendance has suffered? Are there indications that that will change?
You forgot the "HFBoards rule of thumb" in regards to attendance discussions. If a southern or non-traditional market has bad attendance, it's because it's a bad hockey market. If a northern or traditional market has bad attendance, it's because they're such smart hockey fans they won't support a bad owner/bad building/bad location/bad management, etc. ;)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sotnos said:
You forgot the "HFBoards rule of thumb" in regards to attendance discussions. If a southern or non-traditional market has bad attendance, it's because it's a bad hockey market. If a northern or traditional market has bad attendance, it's because they're such smart hockey fans they won't support a bad owner/bad building/bad location/bad management, etc. ;)
A writer said "Disgust is not the same as apathy." in reference to the Charlotte Hornets moving and I totaly agree with that. This axiom deffinately aplies to Canadain franchises who had soft attendence durin the last CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->