Value of: Backup goaltender to Anaheim

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They’ll sign Miller once the season starts and Kesler’s contract is put on LTIR.
If he feels like playing.

But yeah the ducks lucked out with Miller only wanting to play there because of his wife even tho he is old he is normally almost a starter level backup

Tbh if he was motivated I dont even doubt that he could still start even tho being 40ish he just has other priorities

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What would the Ducks trade for Rittich?

I doubt the Ducks would be trading anything of value for a goalie. They're not a a contender (and most likely not a playoff team) this season. Gibson will likely start the majority of games, they just need a body that they can expose in the expansion draft and won't cost a lot of money most likely.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I doubt the Ducks would be trading anything of value for a goalie. They're not a a contender (and most likely not a playoff team) this season. Gibson will likely start the majority of games, they just need a body that they can expose in the expansion draft and won't cost a lot of money most likely.

I’m not sure the Flames would be looking for anything super significant. Likely a RH, RW prospect or a RHD prospect would get it done.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I’m not sure the Flames would be looking for anything super significant. Likely a RH, RW prospect or a RHD prospect would get it done.

Might depend on how good of a RW. Behind Drysdale, the RHD are question marks so Ducks will want to hold on to them and hope one or two pan out. Also would depend on Rittich contract... I haven't looked at how much he makes and for how long.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I feel like Montréal should be all over this. They have Lindgren and McNiven that would be capable backups.
Best we would get is something along a 6th or a 7th pick. Completely irrelevant, wouldn't change anything for our team except giving those goalies a chance in the AHL/ECHL. Better goalies are still available on the UFA market anyways so no need to waste a useless 6/7th round pick...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I feel like Montréal should be all over this. They have Lindgren and McNiven that would be capable backups.

Stolarz looks like a better option and he's already under contract. If the Ducks aren't bringing back Miller then the former should get his shot at the backup job, perhaps also a one year extension to fulfill expansion requirements. In that event we would need an AHL starter or perhaps someone to partner with Dostal but there are options available in free agency.

Reactions: Elvs

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Stolarz looks like a better option and he's already under contract. If the Ducks aren't bringing back Miller then the former should get his shot at the backup job, perhaps also a one year extension to fulfill expansion requirements. In that event we would need an AHL starter or perhaps someone to partner with Dostal but there are options available in free agency.

I agree with this. I think it makes sense to see what they have with Stolarz - reports are he's much improved.

The other issue is expansion. It seems to me they need to either sign Miller to a two year deal with a blended AAV or extend Stolarz. There'd be little expectation Miller would play the second year, but the ducks pay extra to spread the cap hit over over two years and meet the expansion draft requirements. They can bury him the second year if they want.

If they don't do that, then they need to offer Stolarz the backup job and extend him for expansion draft purposes. My guess is Stolarz won't sign an extension unless he's the backup.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
The ducks will do what other teams did and sign some obscure goalie to a 2yr 2way to fit the expansion criteria (seriously, did not know Tokarski even played hockey still lol)

is Al Montoya doing anything? Jonas Enroth? Richard Bachman?

They can just roll with Stolarz and extend him for another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad