Backstrom vs. Backlund, Eller, Hjalmarsson & Andersson

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
they are not even close. backstrom would have been a lock for #1 overall in the 07 draft.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Thanks ! But I guess the answer that I'm looking for is the difference in their playing styles, and how much better or worse are this year's Elite prospects than Backstrom. Also, do you think they will all be drafted in the first round?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
backlund and eller seem like locks for the first round right now. hjalmarsson is most likely a first rounder. andersson may drop because of he's skating.

they are all of course offensive minded players, but backstrom has a much better two-way game then all those guys.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
those 4 and Oscar Moller... But i dont think any of them will be as good as Backstrom

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
im not saying hes the best, but Hjalmarsson impressed the hell out of me at the U18's

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Not only did Hjalmarsson impress me, I thought that this is a guy that has 1st line NHL material. He's not huge, but his understanding of the game is IMPRESSIVE. He is all over the ice. I think that he was only positively influenced by watching his brother play the top-D role at the WJC's this winter in Sweden as well. I don't think Hjalmarsson will drop past 20.:teach:

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Not only did Hjalmarsson impress me, I thought that this is a guy that has 1st line NHL material. He's not huge, but his understanding of the game is IMPRESSIVE. He is all over the ice. I think that he was only positively influenced by watching his brother play the top-D role at the WJC's this winter in Sweden as well. I don't think Hjalmarsson will drop past 20.:teach:

Simon and Niklas Hjalmarsson are not related. Simon Hjalmarsson have two elderly brothers Erik and Gustav who play in HockeyAllsvenskan (tier2).

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg

Simon Hjalmarsson is not related to Niklas Hjalmarsson. Atleast not brothers.

pouskin74*

The top-5 of last year would of been a lock for #1 overall in the 07 draft.
no way. kane,vanriemstyk ,cherepanov and voracek belong to top 5 this year and if we put them in to last year draft then they will get at list 2-3 places in top 5.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
no way. kane,vanriemstyk ,cherepanov and voracek belong to top 5 this year and if we put them in to last year draft then they will get at list 2-3 places in top 5.

Nope, I don't think so...last year top 5 are a notch over everyone in this year's draft. Maybe some team would have passed on Kessel, but that's it...and anyways, next year, evey player of the top 5 will have made the NHL...I can't see that happening with with this year's top 5 because none of them will be NHL ready within a year...

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Personally I think I'd take any of the top 9 from last year over anyone this year. Frolik I haven't seen play so I can't comment on him. Eller and Hjalmarsson are two prospects I'm very high on. They're typical high risk high reward players who could turn into decent 1st/2nd liners or equally end up on the bottom line of a poor European team. Backlund is the best two-way threat who will have good offensive skills but also defensive awareness if he pans out. Andersson is a more defensive player who won't be a fantastic scorer but will be a reliable 3rd/4th liner with good PK skills.

Eller - Vanek
Hjalmarsson - Samsonov (pre 2006/07)
Backlund - T. Ruutu
Andersson - Pahlsson

I don't think any of these guys will be as good as their player comparisons. It's just a style comparison, not a projection.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I would probably have taken Mueller first too.

The only reason you are suggesting this is because Mueller and co are a year older than this years crop, and thus as expected, seem more valuable as they have had more development time.

If Mueller were in this draft, as an 18 yr old i highly doubt he'd go 1st overall.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
The only reason you are suggesting this is because Mueller and co are a year older than this years crop, and thus as expected, seem more valuable as they have had more development time.

If Mueller were in this draft, as an 18 yr old i highly doubt he'd go 1st overall.
He wouldn't be far off either...

IMO, the strengh in this year draft class is the depht betweent the 10th and the 30th pick...

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site

I know that if I combined my opinion of the 2006 draft players at this time last year and my opinion of the current crop my top 7 would be:

Johnson
Staal
Toews
Backstrom
Mueller
Kane
Kessel

Therefore Mueller would go 1st overall. I know last year when I was doing my rankings the only thing that seperated Staal in 2nd spot and Mueller in 5th was that I believe Staal is the better skater.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Personally I think I'd take any of the top 9 from last year over anyone this year. Frolik I haven't seen play so I can't comment on him. Eller and Hjalmarsson are two prospects I'm very high on. They're typical high risk high reward players who could turn into decent 1st/2nd liners or equally end up on the bottom line of a poor European team. Backlund is the best two-way threat who will have good offensive skills but also defensive awareness if he pans out. Andersson is a more defensive player who won't be a fantastic scorer but will be a reliable 3rd/4th liner with good PK skills.

Eller - Vanek
Hjalmarsson - Samsonov (pre 2006/07)
Backlund - T. Ruutu
Andersson - Pahlsson

I don't think any of these guys will be as good as their player comparisons. It's just a style comparison, not a projection.

i think you are overrating backlund and andersson's defensive game. IMO the best player defensively out of those guys is eller. he has a very solid two-way game.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
On June 13, NHL.com will be running an article I wrote on the Frölunda prospects. As a little sneak preview, here is the commentary of Jens Gustavsson (head coach of Frölunda's championship J20 team) on Eller, Hjalmarsson and Andersson.

Gustavsson on Eller:

“Lars is very determined in his goal-settings, both as an individual and a team player.
He has a fantastic attitude to improve his game every day. I can honestly say I don’t see any weaknesses in his offensive game. What Eller needs to continue improving, like most young players, is his play without the puck. But Lars had a fantastic season. He has led the team with his play in a very mature way. It`s hard to compare young players with today’s star players, but I would say Lars is Denmark’s answer to Peter Forsberg.â€

Gustavsson on Hjalmarsson:

“I see these kids every day, and I would say there´s not much diffrence in potential between Eller and Hjalmarsson. Hjalmarsson has been our top scorer and at the same time one of our best penalty killers. That gives you an idea of his big range of playing different style games. He has a tremendous work ethic. It´s hard to take the puck from Simon and he protects the puck very well. He has a humble, laid back attitude off the ice, and a real competitive, winning attitude on the ice. To compare his game to someboby is hard, since his game has so many faces in a positive way. But I would say if you mix Michael Nylander and [Sean] Avery you will have Hjalmarsson.â€

Gustavsson on Andersson:

“Andersson has been one of our captains this year even despite his young age. He´s a real team leader,he puts the team in the room first in every situation. You know what you will get from him every day. It´s hard to find a better player in his age group when it comes to defensive play. He also sets up the powerplay for us since he is a good passer.He´s a real two-way center.He has improved his skating this year, and hopefully that progress will continue. I would agree that he’s a [Samuel] Ã¥hlsson type.â€

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
i think you are overrating backlund and andersson's defensive game. IMO the best player defensively out of those guys is eller. he has a very solid two-way game.

Im sorry, but you are not right about this one. Andersson is without doubt one of the best centers ive ever seen (at this age) defensively. Eller is very dynamic offensively, but is not as defensively reliable as Andersson. Eller needs to work on his game without the puck, but is still very good two-way-center as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->