Backstrom is 5th all time for playoff OT winners

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
But I thought Ovechkin didn’t have any help from teammates in the playoffs?

Usually he doesen't...when it matters.

He wasn't on the ice in 2015 in overtime when Stepan of the PRES TOPHY winning Rangers eliminated them from the 2nd round.

He wasn't on the ice in 2016 when the Pens won in overtime and eliminated him before they WON THE CUP.

Last year in 2017, his top 6 buddies didn't show up. He could of done more but so could they.

This year he wasn't on the ice for any of the Blue Jackets goals in games 1 and 2 (all 8) when going down 2-0 in the series.

He even got a few points but of course was blamed for ALL of these things.

The team, whether it's coaching or whatever, GOALTENDING at the right moments, team defense, or clutch offense, who knows the problem.

All I know is it doesen't all square on him, which everyone loves the narrative to be.

What he did do though is gurantee the caps were coming home with a 2-2 series tie. They did just that after his heroic perormance in Game 4 and then today was on the ice for multiple (if not all didn't check) of the Caps goals to take a 3-2 lead.

See what happens when your top 6 helps?

Crosby should know as the top 9 always scores along with him.

Reactions: Paul4587

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s a subset of a subset.

It skews to players who play a lot of games in the playoffs and then to players who played in a lot of overtime games.

Players who factored in to winning decisively in regular time and minimizing the number of games in a series are at a disadvantage.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I was surprised Kane had 5 seeing this a few days ago but he had 2 unmemorable OT winners in 2014 vs the Blues & Wild

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They were not unmemorable, they were really beautiful goals, especially the one against the Wild which was a series clincher.

On the scale of Kane's goals prior 2 before that and the 1 after they were. The cup winner, hat trick WCF winner vs Quick, and the blues 2016 ot goal with him doing what MacKinnon and Landeskog just did but all himself.

I remembered the Minny goal but not that it was an OT goal. Mainly o recall it from being the only notable goal contributing thing Peter Regin did yet some people still pin he should of played more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad