Speculation: Babcock Turning Matthews Into A Checker & The Leafs Into Boring Chumps

david999

Jan 21, 2011
This team has totally lost it’s confidence. I do not have a good feeling about the upcoming Carolina game either. Some of the worst games the Leafs have played are against them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This team has totally lost it’s confidence. I do not have a good feeling about the upcoming Carolina game either. Some of the worst games the Leafs have played are against them.

Somebody started this thread complaining about how the Leafs were winning and they've lost every game since.

I tried to save the Leafs by changing the title, but was overruled and the thread changed to negative again.

Be careful what you wish for.

Maybe you should change the title back to a positive one if you want the Leafs to beat the Canes.;)

LakeSuperiorHockey

Dec 15, 2017
My problem isn't with the Leafs losing. Shit happens.

However, last year at this time, I was excited every night. It was the most fun I've ever had watching hockey, or at least in a while.

This season, and specifically this month, I've been bored out of my mind. It's not even entertaining. Even the wins are boring.

Reactions: supermann_98

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
When was the last time the Leafs made a great passing play to shred apart a defense or executed a clinical odd-man rush? The last even vaguely nice goal I can think of is Rielly setting up Brown to score against Jarry. The low percentage stretch passages aren't generating a damn thing.

Instead of odd-man rushes, we have Marner/Nylander streaking down the wing, then pulling up and circling back to the blue line because there are 3-4 opposing players back and nobody to pass to. Half of the Leafs' shifts seem to be getting trapped in their own zone for 30 seconds, finally breaking out and then dumping it in to go for a change. The powerplay involves Rielly/Gardiner at the point sliding it to Marner/Nylander, who take weak shots into defenders' shins or miss the net entirely. Kadri gets the puck down low and everyone's standing still waiting for a miracle to happen. It's all predictable and intensely boring.

Reactions: supermann_98

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Somebody started this thread complaining about how the Leafs were winning and they've lost every game since.

I tried to save the Leafs by changing the title, but was overruled and the thread changed to negative again.

Be careful what you wish for.

Maybe you should change the title back to a positive one if you want the Leafs to beat the Canes.;)
People were complaining about how the leafs were winning because we were playing like losers. We've been playing like losers since November but it hasn't really caught up with us

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
People were complaining about how the leafs were winning because we were playing like losers. We've been playing like losers since November but it hasn't really caught up with us

There’s a difference between playing like losers and not completely dominating.

This is a parity league. The worst team is only slightly worse than the best, and no wins are givens.

Expecting the Leafs to win every game 10-0 with 75%+ corsi rating is apparently the threshold to acceptable around here.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

This is a parity league. The worst team is only slightly worse than the best, and no wins are givens.

Expecting the Leafs to win every game 10-0 with 75%+ corsi rating is apparently the threshold to acceptable around here.
I agree there's a difference, and we have played like losers

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I don't understand this post. We've been a highly mediocre team that rode unsustainable goaltending for a while, and we should be much better than that. That's why there are complaints. People don't expect Leafs to dominate. We expect them to play like a solid team, which they absolutely should be, and have been.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs have scored 11 goals in 7 games in December = averaging 1.57 goals/game.

We lucked out beating Oilers 1-0 while getting dominated and giving up 41 shots against.

Hard to win many games if scoring 2 goals is a struggle, and you're getting outshot, outplayed and outworked night after night.

Hopefully the players start playing better soon.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I'm sure glad the Leafs defence has gotten better it was really annoying watching them score goals and winning hockey games.

Reactions: 6ix

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
No I am not. I had made posts in here last night after the game as well, basically echoing what I said in the PGT because it fits this topic. Where are they?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like there's two brands of Mike Babcock hockey, and we've got the brand that I don't like right now.

First introduction to him was the insane Anaheim Ducks run to the finals in 2003 when J-S Giguere took an underdog, checking team to the finals. I forget exactly how many goals were scored in the conference finals against Minnesota, but there were probably as many shutouts as goals scored that series. Boring, winning hockey.

Then there's the Detroit Red Wings of 2008 and 2009. I was rooting for the Pens those years and the Wings were a machine, playing a very beautiful, very frustrating brand of puck possession hockey. They literally held the puck the whole game and it looked like the ice was tilted towards the Pittsburgh net the whole time.

Then we have the 2014 Canadian Olympic and 2016 World Cup Teams, two of the most expensive rosters ever assembled, and yet it looked like they were programmed to win by scores of 2-1. Heavy, puck possession team where every star player seemed to turn into a high end grinder, whole operation built around elite goaltending.

Then we have the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Leafs, oscillating back and forth between boring, offensively dry grind it out teams and offensively spectacular tire fires.

Out of all these teams, the Wings of those two years were probably the most entertaining to watch, most balanced and also successful, but I don't understand the checking, grind it out mentality he's promoting with this core at all. I think we all just want that 2017 Leaf team, just more mature, with tweaks and defensive upgrades along the way.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Stephen- Like 100%. I live down here in Red Wing country and I remember those teams. I wanna see a hybrid of that adapted to last years Leafs not what we're seeing right now.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
One of the biggest problem around here is that the Leafs made the playoffs last season and suddenly everyones expectations sky rocketed.

The Leafs are not Stanley cup contenders yet. Most of their young core are still figuring out how to play in the NHL both consisently and physically.

It is like the Leafs are automatically expected to follow the Chicago trajectory.... we should definitely unload the UFAs at the deadline. The Leafs are not going to win multiple playoffs series this year...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
One of the biggest problem around here is that the Leafs made the playoffs last season and suddenly everyones expectations sky rocketed.

The Leafs are not Stanley cup contenders yet. Most of their young core are still figuring out how to play in the NHL both consisently and physically.

It is like the Leafs are automatically expected to follow the Chicago trajectory.... we should definitely unload the UFAs at the deadline. The Leafs are not going to win multiple playoffs series this year...
My plan all along.
Hopefully Babcock’s too.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
There is a lot of parity in the NHL now, look at any nhl team.... most can match our roster without Matthews.

Our defense currently consists of

Rielly hainsey
Gardiner zaitsev
Polak borgman

2 ufa signings polak in hainsey
2 European ufa's in zaitsev and borgman
Gardiner - career enigma
Rielly - only 1st round organizational developed talent

People act like our team is stacked or something... it's really not. Without Matthews I'd say we are an average roster at best at this point.

We're still in the early stages of the rebuild, guys like dermott, kapanen, liljegren, timashov, Johnsson maybe a bracco... once a couple of these players are making an impact then we should be dangerous.

Babcock hasn't said it as much, but there still will be pain.

In my opinion, jvr, gardiner and bozak are all part of the remaining pain.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad