Ansar Khan: Babcock to Weiss: Do it Right or You'll Hate the Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_mike_babcock_on_step.html

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.

“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here.''

This may or may not explain why Flip left -- and how, for some reason, the Red Wings didn't ever seem interested in keeping him or Flip didn't seem interested in staying.

Coach maybe got tired of Flip not being assertive or competitive enough.

It jives with what my friend said about Flip absolutely hating Babcock (said the same about Franzen)

And if that's true -- buying out Franzen may have more legs than people think.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm encouraged by the fact that he hasn't completely set in stone that Abdelkader will be on the top line and Alfie on the 2nd. I'd definitely be interested in seeing Alfie alongside 13 and 40.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It jives with what my friend said about Flip absolutely hating Babcock (said the same about Franzen)
I've never gotten this impression. He seems locked into the top6 no matter what. (Franzen)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_mike_babcock_on_step.html

This may or may not explain why Flip left -- and how, for some reason, the Red Wings didn't ever seem interested in keeping him or Flip didn't seem interested in staying.

MOD

Fippula wasnt competitive or assertive enough where have you heard Kenny or Mike say that JESUS.

Just utter nonsense. Kenny only ever said we offered him a deal he decided to try his options he believed could get more.

Now I think they offered fippula the hometown discount probably 3-4 years at 3.5 and he went to market.

He got over payed 1 million or 1 year of salary for the 5 million.

You got to remember Fippula knows what Hudler got. Knowing someone was going to over pay for that 66 point year.

You also have to know that fippula was injured last year over in finland. He played with a nagging injury the full season.

Now I am not saying he is closer to a 40 point guy than a 60 point guy. That also remains to be seen though.

Also Fippula was not over payed in my estimation for coming to tampa to score at a 60 point clip. He was brought in to help all the kids learn detroits system and style of play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Haven't been posting here in some weeks. What was this?

crashman

I remember when Jagr was making his comeback to the NHL and Babcock had a phone call with him, Jagr said it was more like an interrogation. I really don't doubt what Jagr said. And as talented as Jagr is, I don't think he was Red Wings material (not many players are). Alfredsson might end up hating him, who knows?

I think Mike Babcock is the most demanding coach in the league, but he rewards guys that "do it right" (i.e. Justin Abdelkader, like it or not).

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

I have serious problem with this. I get certain things you have different styles of coaches you have the bill parcells. You have joe maddons.

Babcock has never been considered a bill parcells type imo. Also this is saying fippula was a malcontent.

I never ever heard that. Yes am in Tampa etc.. I dont like people making things up to make players look in a lower light. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING IN DETROITS HISTORY I HAVE SEEN DONE.

To say Fippula wasnt bringing his A game is one thing but did have nagging injury. To say he was problem in clubhouse and for future and not assertive or competitive enough is something that honestly makes me so angry I want to stand up and start using bad words.

I can see babcock getting mad at times at franzen. NOT at Fippula for lack of effort.

The points the skill set might have been lower that is debatable but to say he wasnt leaving it out there is so much garbage I want to scream.

If detroit is going to become like people over in Toronto and talk bad about some of the stars like the grabovski case I will not stay a fan. Is a case for grabovski speaking out. Yet he was right!!. I never have heard anything on fippula and he thanked the franchise and babcock etc.. So I do not know where you come up with some of your stuff. I wonder at times if you just want to start debates and controversies and arguments cause you have nothing better to do or is in your nature?

I have been a fan for 35 years. I have never heard a lot of bad mouthing from detroits management and barely any things on players.

THE ACTUAL REPORT THAT THIS NONSENSE MIGHT HAVE CAME FROM IS HERE

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_coach_mike_babcock_v.html

But, aside from multiple-point games against Minnesota (three assists on Jan. 25) and Dallas (two goals on Jan. 29), Filppula has been fairly quiet.

That can't continue, coach Mike Babcock said Saturday, a day after a 5-2 loss to Anaheim.

“Fil wasn't good enough last night, wasn't competitive enough, and he's got to be way better than that,'' Babcock said. “We need him. He's a significant player for us and he's got to play better than this.''

Here is what was said to weiss and how he responded.

From what I have seen over the years was simply Mike saying to FIPPULA hey we need you to be GREAT trying to get him to be great. I think they evaluated him and he comes short of great which I agree with and think most fans would agree with.

He is inconsistent and has had a lot of small nagging issues with injuries.

The above is the only time I have ever seen Mike question Val's work effort though. This was during the missing four months. He had concerns on everyone being in game shape etc.. Fully focused wanted us to win. We get a 50 point Val or 20 something for shortened year Mike thinks we are ultra dangerous etc.. He stated those type of things.

So coming out with this is just wrong taking things out of context to meet your goals whatever they are is just plain wrong.

I am sorry but stuff like this is really raw to people who still like their stars etc..

I didnt and dont like fippula leaving I think he should have taken a 3-4 year home discount at 3 to 3.5 million. I am a Tampa fan so am happy he is in Tampa. They can really use him to teach others how to play both ends a lot more structured and solidly.

Your thing is Brunner and I get that just he again was offered his worth and walked. More was expected of fippula than brunner who is still an unproven commodity both have worth. To stick up for one and than downgrade another is cheap and tasteless in my opinion.

Again all I can say is Fippula thanked detroit he thanked kenny he thanked mike he thanked ilitch etc.. To me what he did at all times was humble and with class. When Val was asked about his play that day he said it wasnt up to par he was not upset. Athletes have a higher standard than a coach usually otherwise they would never make it in the NHL.

If you are going to do things like this in future I would ask you to put up the sources which I did to get rid of the confusion and have people take offense as I truly took offense to this.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Haven't been posting here in some weeks. What was this?

I have a friend who works with several Red Wings outside of the arena. Last winter he said Filppula and Franzen absolutely hate Babcock.

And it makes sense, as both Filppula and Franzen have been known to play less than inspired hockey, and Babcock preaches "getting after it."

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Behind the scenes in locker room Babcock might hammer certain guys. I have never heard about it and also have some friends who work in the arena etc..

I think he tries to inspire people the only quote I ever had seen him question fippulas effort so to speak I put up cause was right after the break when we were not playing too well. Was a lot of concerns. When Val talked he was not upset and he said he was playing less than he should etc..

Ill see if can get Val to side this year and ask him if he hates babcock and I really doubt it. I can see at times Mike riding the mule I sure as hell would. Yet I never saw Mike really question fippulas heart was more about not producing and he wasnt etc..

Detroit really doesnt talk bad about its former players and babcock really doesnt have that history which I know of.

This is why we are hated by other teams and franchises so badly cause we do things the right way.

What was said out of context would be like us saying last year that vinny got boucher fired and was bad in clubhouse this is why we let him go.

I hope you can see that cause you pretty much labeled val as a malcontent.

Each coach has their way. Mike is very well spoken and have really never seen him all over guys or a jerk to anyone. He thinks out what he says.

So when he says val is not playing up to par, we expect him to play better, we need him to play better.

He is not really questioning the mans heart. He is trying to inspire someone to get their act together and be a better part of the team.

This is kinda like what he said if you go read the article.

My words are different than Mikes but is no way he was saying the guy wasnt playing with heart etc.. he was saying we need more from you VAL pick it up.

Val got that in the interview. He was not upset and guarantee was more upset with self than babcock or even babcock was upset with val.

What you put up was sounding like val was dogging it so to speak. Which at times I question Franzens efforts. I didnt in the playoffs even though he failed in many opportunities to come through both were productive and getting scoring chances etc..

Detroit doesnt bad mouth much to be honest and yep mike has a temper he has some fire in him lol. I guarantee everyone on the team has been mad at one another at one time including the coach and or at the coach lol.

They get over it are professionals. If Franzen hated mike could see him sulking and not performing same with val. That was not the case. They had their shots they failed to capitalize is really that simple we had a good year. We should have had the cup to be honest.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I have a friend who works with several Red Wings outside of the arena. Last winter he said Filppula and Franzen absolutely hate Babcock.

And it makes sense, as both Filppula and Franzen have been known to play less than inspired hockey, and Babcock preaches "getting after it."

I guess I wouldn't be surprised. This comes up every now and again, with some guys just checking out. Shanny was probably the first. Hudler, of course, goes without saying. Leino made some comments about being asked to play a certain style that didn't fit, but I don't think he went as far as to say how he felt about the coach.

RedWingsNow*

I guess I wouldn't be surprised. This comes up every now and again, with some guys just checking out. Shanny was probably the first. Hudler, of course, goes without saying. Leino made some comments about being asked to play a certain style that didn't fit, but I don't think he went as far as to say how he felt about the coach.

Yeah, i don't have a problem with tough coaches if they can maintain their message.
I think lots of us thought Babcock was losing the team. Winning a round of the playoffs seems to have made people sweet on Babcock again.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah, i don't have a problem with tough coaches if they can maintain their message.
I think lots of us thought Babcock was losing the team. Winning a round of the playoffs seems to have made people sweet on Babcock again.

I cant say he is best coach in NHL but he has won the cup I give him a nod lol. I let him do his thing. I have never seen him disrespect someone in an interview and that is harder to deal with when your pissed off than people probably realize lol.

I have seen him get mad in games at players etc.. but have seen players get mad at players also? People want to win. Your gonna blow off steam at times everyone does it.

Val seems like a really humble guy I have never sat down with him but in all the interviews I have ever seen he seems just like a guy who expects a lot on self to produce and humble.

That is something I would say is a good thing that detroit seems very good at.

Getting the stars of the team even when they leave they seem humble respectful etc.. not all over themselves which I have seen plenty of.

I never seen val complain on lack of power play when was out producing others he had his roll he did what was asked.

Good player not great but valuable solid. No real ego and maybe Mike knocks that out of some players:) I dont think that is necessarily a bad thing.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Frankly, I don't see why this is so surprising. It's common knowledge that Babcock is tough as nails with his players.

I'm not sure, however, that it explains Filppula's departure. That was more a matter of what Filppula thought he was worth vs. what management thought he was worth. Khan and St. James both reported that there was a huge gap there.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Babcock said Weiss will play on a line with Johan Franzen. He hasn't decided who the other winger will be. It might be fellow newcomer Daniel Alfredsson, or it could be Justin Abdelkader. Whoever it is, it's clear what the Red Wings want from the skilled playmaker.

I'd love to see

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfie
Tatar - Weiss - Franzen

Or Nyquist with Weiss and Franzen.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I'd love to see

Tatar - Weiss - Franzen

Or Nyquist with Weiss and Franzen.

I think Nyquist is most likely as of right now. Anything can change during preseason.

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Abdelkader - Helm - Miller
Tatar - Andersson - Tootoo

But I don't see Bertuzzi and Samuelsson sitting out. Emmerton and Eaves are left out.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Frankly, I don't see why this is so surprising. It's common knowledge that Babcock is tough as nails with his players.

I'm not sure, however, that it explains Filppula's departure. That was more a matter of what Filppula thought he was worth vs. what management thought he was worth. Khan and St. James both reported that there was a huge gap there.

It's not surprising if it is true, Filppula never fully grasped what Babcock expected him to do to become an even better player. Never figured out that he was supposed to shoot more, never figured out how to go to the hard areas consistently. He was a very frustrating, yet safe player that Babcock was able to rely upon for defensive situations. Which is why he still played so much.

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö
I think Nyquist is most likely as of right now. Anything can change during preseason.

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Abdelkader - Helm - Miller
Tatar - Andersson - Tootoo

But I don't see Bertuzzi and Samuelsson sitting out. Emmerton and Eaves are left out.

I like your lines and I hope that those will be the lines.

However I think Babs will run with something similar to this

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Alfie - Weiss - Franzen
Nyquist - Andersson - Miller/Tatar
Tatar/Miller - Emmerton - Eaves/Samuelsson

Helm, injured :amazed:
Bertuzzi - backup veteran
Eaves/Samuelsson - whoever competes the most
Tootoo - when we need grit

If Helm's healthy, obviously Emmerton sits.

How do you guys think our special teams will look like?

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
It's not surprising if it is true, Filppula never fully grasped what Babcock expected him to do to become an even better player. Never figured out that he was supposed to shoot more, never figured out how to go to the hard areas consistently. He was a very frustrating, yet safe player that Babcock was able to rely upon for defensive situations. Which is why he still played so much.

True. I do think in Filppula's case that maybe Babcock expected too much of him - he is what he is. He's a 40-point player who had one great, 60+ point season and that was his career year, and when he fell back to earth I don't think it went over too well.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
True. I do think in Filppula's case that maybe Babcock expected too much of him - he is what he is. He's a 40-point player who had one great, 60+ point season and that was his career year, and when he fell back to earth I don't think it went over too well.

Points wise, maybe. But competing wise? Filppula could've been much better, guys smaller than him (St. Louis) go to hard areas all the time. Not saying he could've become like St. Louis, but competitiveness wasn't Filppula's strong suit.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Points wise, maybe. But competing wise? Filppula could've been much better, guys smaller than him (St. Louis) go to hard areas all the time. Not saying he could've become like St. Louis, but competitiveness wasn't Filppula's strong suit.

I agree. For all the crap Franzen gets around here for his compete level, people usually seemed willing to give Flip a free pass on his lack of compete level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->