Babchuk-Tjutin

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Fan 8845

Jan 10, 2005
NYC
As far as i know Babchuk I guess plays a tougher game but, Tyutin is excellent on the defensive side of things along with the capabilities to put up some solid offensive #'s.I guess he would be considered a # 2-3 D-Man, or a first pairing. Bachuk I dont know much about but I know he is a solid prospect, but I do think Tyutin would be the better one and thats just based on my opinion.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
It's an interesting pair of players to compare because both have spent time in Russia (on some of the same teams, no less), the AHL and the NHL (although Babchuk spent less time in the NHL). Statistics for both don't clearly show much more offensive or PIM potential for either. I saw all of Tyutin's stint in the NHL and he was very impressive. Looked like he had the makings of a Derian (not Dale) Hatcher to me, although others have commented that he might not be as physical as DH but might have more offensive upside. Funny thing is Tyutin hasn't looked as good in the AHL as he did in the NHL. If Babchuk's as good as I think Tyutin is, then the Hawks (not Ducks) have themselves a cornerstone D-man.

Last edited:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chief said:
It's an interesting pair of players to compare because both have spent time in Russia (on some of the same teams, no less), the AHL and the NHL (although Babchuk spent less time in the NHL). Statistics for both don't clearly show much more offensive or PIM potential for either. I saw all of Tyutin's stint in the NHL and he was very impressive. Looked like he had the makings of a Dale Hatcher to me, although others have commented that he might not be as physical as DH but might have more offensive upside. Funny thing is Tyutin hasn't looked as good in the AHL as he did in the NHL. If Babchuk's as good as I think Tyutin is, then the Ducks have themselves a cornerstone D-man.

Talk about a confusing post. For one, Babchuk is a Chicago prospect, not Anaheim. And second, who is Dale Hatcher? Is that a mix of Dale Hunter and Derian Hatcher? Are you talking about Derian Hatcher? If you are, I don't really see how him and Tyutin are comparable dmen in style.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Sorry for the brain cramps...I meant Derian Hatcher...maybe I have too much Teri Hatcher on the brain ;)

While with the Rangers, Tyutin was defensively solid, showed an ability to hit and flashed some offense...we'll disagree with the comparison to Derian Hatcher but that's who he reminded me of...who does he remind you of?

bruins4777*

I've seen tyutin probably at least 5-10 times and Babchuk twice. From what i've seen this is what i think.

Tyutin is much smoother. He has a wonderful shot, absolutely BOOMING. He's silky smooth. He has wonderful puckhandling and is great defensively. He seems to go out of control with his stick at times, but his poise is awful impressive.

Babchuk has impressed me more though even though i've seen him less. His hitting is brilliant, he is a remarkable skater for his size. He is HUGE. His passing is great, nice vision, and he can control a power play. He didn't do much puck carrying from what i've seen, but he's good at recieving and passing and one-timing the puck. He doesn't pinch an awful lot but when he does he does it nicely. He's actually not all that flashy, but very good.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
People pay too much attention to the THN blurbs.

Babchuk is a big big kid, who skates pretty well for his size. he has trouble with coverage and needs to play more physically.

He has been improving, but will never be a bruiser.

I think he compares quite a lot to Boris Mironov, albeit with a much higher upside.

I'm a hawk fan, and I'm trying to put the best foot forward with the BoBo comparison. BoBo had a ton of talent, but just no drive whatsoever. Babchuk I think has far superior raw abilities, he is a legit 6'4" 1/2, has just an unbelievable shot (it will be one of the harder shots in the NHL) and he makes outstanding outlet passes.

But he isn't a bruiser. He's an offensive dman (with all of their headaches) in a bruiser's body.

Now believe me, I'm not down on the kid- just trying to put some perspective on this. He has taken quite a few steps foward in his positioning and attitude. But he still has a long way to go.

Babchuk has the biggest upside of any of our dmen (including barker), but he also has a bigger chance of busting out.

Upside: PP Stud, 1st pairing guy
Downside: Sammi Salo/boris Mironov

-fullmetalninja

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Tyutin doesn't stand out.

He just does everything well. Plays a completely well rounded game. PP, PK, etc.

Hes not flashy at all. Won't make the huge play, but won't make the bad play either.

Hes so good because he rarely messes up and costs the team a goal on defense. I honeslty don't remember one time he did (NHL/AHL).

But if you saw him thats what you'd say, he does all the little things well/plays a well rounded-two way game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Tyutin is much smoother. He has a wonderful shot, absolutely BOOMING. He's silky smooth. He has wonderful puckhandling and is great defensively. He seems to go out of control with his stick at times, but his poise is awful impressive.

that's a pretty good description of tyutin IMO, when he's on. one thing i noticed is that he worked the boards really well in the NHL, especially for a rookie. he would seal guys off and take the puck from them very well...he's not huge but he seems pretty strong and could have his way with forwards at times

Hes not flashy at all. Won't make the huge play, but won't make the bad play either.

i disagree a little on that...he does flash some amazing stuff sometimes...big hits, amazing rushes and puckhandling, superbly timed pinches from the point...and of coures sometimes those things backfire on him, but not much. but he will also play his conservative game a lot too...he played it more in hartford than in the NHL though, he was more active in the NHL.

i mean hey, his first NHL goal was on a 5 on 3 PK where he corralled a bouncing puck long enough to get around 2 players and shoot the puck from a tough angle against a flopping roberto luongo, that was pretty stand-outish to me :)

what's the deal with babchuck though? i heard them say in last nights admirals/wolfpack game that he was a healthy scratch?

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I think there's a lot of people (not including the Rangers brass) who underestimate Tyutin because he wasn't a high first-rounder with a lot of buzz when he was picked. I remember being told by someone who'd seen him in Russia that he was a real tough, solid stay at home defenseman. While at Guelph he displayed real offensive ability putting up 59 points in 53 games. When he stepped into the Ranger lineup, the kid became the Rangers' most solid D-man (which might not be saying a lot, I know). He showed incredible poise, performing like a seasoned vet. I once heard Renney mention Leetch-like offensive ability when he spoke of Tyutin. That might have been a bit of puffery on Renney's part but I think there are few defensive prospects with Tyutin's all around upside.

bruins4777*

Tytuin...leetch? way to go pushing up his potential too much. Tytuin is great, but leetch? Thats once in a generation. I only see two guys POSSIBLY pushing that potential offensively in pitkanen and bouwmeester.

Tytuin is, to me, a dman of a different breed. He has great puckhandling so he'll be a good rusher and his hands are fairly soft, but i don't see him making top defensemen look foolish with his dekes and moves like leetch did. Tyutin will maybe be more lidstrom-esque with some rushing thrown in.

Personally i'd take tyutin over babchuk. I think babchuk has more potential, but tyutin seems safer and more poised. And i regard poise above all else.

There was this saying that babchuk isn't a "bruiser". Well see i sorta disagree with it. Although he'll never throw his weight around and dominate like guys such as hatcher. But he is perfectly capable of big hits. He seemed quite solid to me defensively, he didn't go out of his way to do things offensively or go for a big hit, but he was quite solid. If any problem i saw it was that he seemed nervous on the one two on one he faced. So i guess the assesment of problems with coverage is a good one.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
Don't know Babchuk, but I've seen Tjutin play many times in Hartford and in New York.

Tjutin's fantastically talented. Big, strong, terrific hands and elite hockey smarts. His only weakness is his skating, which is good, but not spectacular. This leads him to be a little bit of a "Jekyl and Hyde" sort of player.

When Tjutin wants to score, he rushes the puck up ice and takes risks. When he does so, he scores in bunches. Heck, in his first two AHL games he scored three goals, as a rookie!

The problem is, he doesn't have elite speed. So once he starts gambling, he can't always get back on defense if he doesn't score. This leads to GA. Eventually his coaches tell him to reign it in, and he plays a very solid, mistake free, defensive defenseman's game. Until of course someone points out he hasn't been scoring. At which point he starts rushing again, and the cycle begins once more.

The upside of Tjutin is that he does everything you could want a defenseman to do, and does it all very well. The downside is that he can't do it all at the same time . . . so he's probably always going to be a bit of streaky player. I picture him rounding out into a 'near all-star' caliber player. Someone who plays 20+ minutes a night in all situations, scores 35+ points or so a season, will do some dirty work and throw hits . . . but never a guy who'll win a Norris Trophy or be considered a 'franchise' kind of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad