Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If Sakic will still occasionally give Dater the light of day. Then I can't imagine Ryan having any trouble lol.

I see the logic in that, but there is a difference between knowing someone since you arrived in the city of Denver in 1995 and a former team employee you've only known for ~3/4ish years. Like him or not, Dater is close with Sakic (as close as a beat writer can be with a team's GM). Now I do think Joe's picked up the patented GM move of keeping reporters, even AD, at arm's length until you want them to get something out.

I don't think that there's anything Boulding has done/didn't do that will prevent him from effectively doing his job at The Athletic.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm going to keep my subscriptions for both publications for the time being. While I have my issues with AJ and AD I think both are good writers and work hard to get the story. Boulding is a good choice, though I'm a bit sad it won't be Sadowski. In addition to their hockey stuff I think Harrison Wind's Nuggets coverage has been outstanding. BSN also did a good analysis/film breakdown on Case Keenum.

Yeah there is room for both IMO. We'll see how many people keep both subscriptions after a year though. BSN will probably take a hit on renewals, but there is room for both of BSN makes it worth it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I see the logic in that, but there is a difference between knowing someone since you arrived in the city of Denver in 1995 and a former team employee you've only known for ~3/4ish years. Like him or not, Dater is close with Sakic (as close as a beat writer can be with a team's GM). Now I do think Joe's picked up the patented GM move of keeping reporters, even AD, at arm's length until you want them to get something out.

I don't think that there's anything Boulding has done/didn't do that will prevent him from effectively doing his job at The Athletic.

Usually even with rough exits from jobs. Usually the relationship isn't bad with everyone. Unless you are just a shit head and are generally disliked. Which I highly doubt is the case with Ryan. He's more opinionated than people realize, and I imagine the teams clown shoes wore on him at times. It did for all of us, and we could say or post anything we want anywhere lol.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Interesting hire. I haven't read anything from Boulding recently (don't even know if he has been writing) but he wasn't bad a few years back. I believe he was with MHH or one of those type of sites.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Boulding built up his credibility around Denver and was good enough to get the job. He's as logical of a hiring as you can get...

But I am getting ready for boring and superficial articles personally.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Boulding built up his credibility around Denver and was good enough to get the job. He's as logical of a hiring as you can get...

But I am getting ready for boring and superficial articles personally.

Or he's going to write a couple of articles, and then go completely silent while Scott Burnside pumps out good articles about the Avs.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Or he's going to write a couple of articles, and then go completely silent while Scott Burnside pumps out good articles about the Avs.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this. Not that I mind, I mean Scotty B is awesome at writing but what is up with Boulding. All he does is a few tweets here and there. The day he announced he was hired he dropped two articles and then nothing.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, I've been wondering about this. Not that I mind, I mean Scotty B is awesome at writing but what is up with Boulding. All he does is a few tweets here and there. The day he announced he was hired he dropped two articles and then nothing.

Yeah, disappointing start to say the least. While another well known writer has just came stomping through your turf.

I tried to ask Scott if this was going to be a regular thing, but the post just disappeared. I'll probably try posting again, just weird lol.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
So far The Athletic's local coverage has been...underwhelming. I don't think they're even bothering to fill out the report cards on players after each game, which is glaring since it's the button right next to the box score on the app.

BSN IMO has been really good, right off the bat they posted a story about the Hamburglar while the hype was at its peak. Dater is many things, but lazy isn't one of them.

I think Mile High Sports has done well too. The Athletic is currently lagging behind those, and to a certain extent, even the Post. They better get things in gear for the Rockies and Broncos because so far I'm not impressed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So far The Athletic's local coverage has been...underwhelming. I don't think they're even bothering to fill out the report cards on players after each game, which is glaring since it's the button right next to the box score on the app.

BSN IMO has been really good, right off the bat they posted a story about the Hamburglar while the hype was at its peak. Dater is many things, but lazy isn't one of them.

I think Mile High Sports has done well too. The Athletic is currently lagging behind those, and to a certain extent, even the Post. They better get things in gear for the Rockies and Broncos because so far I'm not impressed.

I'm not sure what's up with their Avs coverage...

This is what Burnside said when asked.

I'll be covering this series as long as it goes and then we'll figure out what's next. But thank you. It's been a fun series so far. sb

Boulding did absolutely nothing after his opening couple of articles. I get the feeling that the Avs do not have a full time writer right now. Either Boulding is just making zero effort to keep his job, or there wasn't much of a chance in the first place. I can't imagine he'd intentionally be this quiet, and pretty much pass on an opportunity.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, I'm now kinda hoping Boulding is canned and someone else comes on. Ryan posted a bunch on twitter, re-tweeted every article that had anything to do with the AVs but really did nothing on his own. Sad....I thought he would have been a much better hire than anyone other than Sadowski, but he just hasn't seemed to take it seriously.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I guess a good side-effect from the Athletic invading Denver is that BSN has cranked themselves up to 11. They're almost spitting out too much content these days.

I'm a paying BSN subscriber and I received an email today asking for money to support their new app. Between that and the constant Dater spamming it's starting to piss me off and they need to stop right now. Friggin' find other sources of revenue and stop trying to nickel and dime us.

Reactions: S3rkie

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm a paying BSN subscriber and I received an email today asking for money to support their new app. Between that and the constant Dater spamming it's starting to piss me off and they need to stop right now. Friggin' find other sources of revenue and stop trying to nickel and dime us.

Unsubscribe from email updates for BSN and unfollow Dater. Boom.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

You know that what this is the business model, right? The Athletic showed that paid subscriptions are the future for sports journalism, BSN followed that. Pre-internet sports journalism that many of us knew is dead and buried and has no chance of being zombiefied.

This is how it is now. And yes, I do have a personal friendship with AJ that extends beyond just talking hockey, so that's largely why I stay out of the conversation when people decide they want to start in on him/BSN (because I'm biased, so my side of an argument isn't going to carry any weight)...that said, The Athletic Denver hasn't really taken off when it comes to the Avalanche, so I see this as BSN trying their best to capitalize on that. The Athletic came in, they're a name brand in sports journalism, but BSN is still the place for Avs coverage right now.

And in just talking with him, and having a friendship with him that has gone on now for...2-3 years, their offseason coverage is going to once again be in depth when it comes to the draft and UFA.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The minute I heard the Athletic was moving into Denver I subscribed. Not because I live there or even remotely like the other Colorado based teams but because I wanted quality print coverage of the Avalanche. I bought a full year so will be sticking with it for the time being, but I've gotta say....Boulding has been so far below the level of what Portzline and others are putting out. I re-followed him on twitter when he got the job so I could see when he puts up a new column....unfortunately, he is much more active on twitter than he is on the Athletic. I'm really hoping it's because they brought him on so late in the season and Scotty B was doing the playoffs coverage but seriously...three pretty ho-hum blog level articles so far (two the day he started, on April 10th and a third stupid little draft thing on May 3rd.)

Not a happy camper so far. Can the Athletic trade Boulding to the Columbus Dispatch for George Richards?

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
The minute I heard the Athletic was moving into Denver I subscribed. Not because I live there or even remotely like the other Colorado based teams but because I wanted quality print coverage of the Avalanche. I bought a full year so will be sticking with it for the time being, but I've gotta say....Boulding has been so far below the level of what Portzline and others are putting out. I re-followed him on twitter when he got the job so I could see when he puts up a new column....unfortunately, he is much more active on twitter than he is on the Athletic. I'm really hoping it's because they brought him on so late in the season and Scotty B was doing the playoffs coverage but seriously...three pretty ho-hum blog level articles so far (two the day he started, on April 10th and a third stupid little draft thing on May 3rd.)

Not a happy camper so far. Can the Athletic trade Boulding to the Columbus Dispatch for George Richards?

Oh man, I'd love for Richards to be the beat writer for the Avs.

We'll see what happens but I continue to be unimpressed. I'm liking Groke's stuff on the Rox at least.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I actually do... he is (now) a former Washington football beat writer. He has done a lot of good articles over the years there, and I keep a cursory glance at his writing since I like that coaching staff there. No idea of his hockey knowledge though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's an interesting change from what he does right now. I'm all for some new blood so hopefully he does a good job. Apparently he used to cover hockey at one point......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->