Awesome tidbit of Babcock/Glendening news

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mike Babcock wanted Luke Glendening as the Leafs fourth-line centre. That was his push. Instead, he was given Tomas Plekanec at the trade deadline. Some interpret that move as a win for the front office and a Babcock defeat. Glendening’s nickname when he played for Babcock in Detroit was Mike. As in the coach

Oh, and this.
Detroit’s Ken Holland and Vegas assistant Kelly McCrimmon are morning-line favourites for the Seattle job. Should Holland leave the Red Wings, some expect GM Jim Nill to leave the Dallas Stars for the opening in Detroit

SIMMONS: Olympics men’s hockey in 2022 will be a challenge for Team Canada

Reactions: lidstromiscool

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't want Jim Nill... Stunning to say that now as five or six years ago I would have argued for him passionately, but now he isn't on my short list.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd have liked to have seen Glendening moved for a pick if it was possible but it had to make sense. As we've seen from Buffalo, Arizona, and Edmonton full on fire sales rebuilds have quite the low success rate. If we could have gotten a 2nd then I'm fine with it but as is there isn't much point to move him for less than an overpayment.

As for Nill I'm not sure how I feel. My initial reaction is positive as I'm a of the style of team he's created in Dallas and he hasn't been shy to swing for the fence either through the draft or via trades. He traded for Seguin, Spezza, Methot, Bishop, Janmark, and Johns; while signing Radulov, Hamhuis, Hanzel in FA. He's been able to get a #1C, #2C, #3D, and a #1G while giving up little in return, I think the biggest pieces he gave up were a young Reilly Smith, Loiu Eriksson, and a 2020 2nd round pick. Outside of signing two sub par goalies to long term deals he's also been very good at managing the Stars' cap space.

The one area I'd be somewhat concerned about is his drafting as he hasn't produced an enormous amount of NHL players since he took over. He was good in '13 getting Nichushkin, Dickinson, and Elie; and he also got them Honka in '14 but that's about it in terms of NHLers. They do have some intriguing prospects in the pipeline now and I think the '16 and '17 drafts should produce some talented players for them too.

I think as long as Nil has a good scouting team around him he is a top 5 or 10 GM in the league.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think Holland and Nill were good together, but neither have been very good apart. It's kind of a sum being greater than its parts situation. Also, I think part of the equation for the Holland-Nill combo was having an owner who knew hockey. They don't have that now.

I don't want Holland or Nill.

I kind of think they should sell first and let someone who knows what they are doing do the hiring. Ideally, I think they would keep Holland another season and then go for Yzerman. If you hire Nill, then he's probably here for a few years and so you miss out on trying to hire Steve.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think Holland and Nill were good together, but neither have been very good apart. It's kind of a sum being greater than its parts situation. Also, I think part of the equation for the Holland-Nill combo was having an owner who knew hockey. They don't have that now.

I don't want Holland or Nill.

I kind of think they should sell first and let someone who knows what they are doing do the hiring. Ideally, I think they would keep Holland another season and then go for Yzerman. If you hire Nill, then he's probably here for a few years and so you miss out on trying to hire Steve.
Stevie is not coming back any time soon. He's built up his own thing, and he's going to be content running it. He's at the top of the world right now. We have to get this romantic idea out of our heads. If we avoid hiring somebody good because Yzerman might be available, we are total idiots.

And, honestly... if we respect Stevie and want him to fulfill his potential, we should want him to stay in TB and see where that goes. They're the best team in the league, and he has a real chance to contend for a cup. Let him have his glory. He's earned it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Stevie is not coming back any time soon. He's built up his own thing, and he's going to be content running it. He's at the top of the world right now. We have to get this romantic idea out of our heads. If we avoid hiring somebody good because Yzerman might be available, we are total idiots.

Until he signs a new contract it will absolutely be a discussion.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why on Earth would Stevie pick Detroit over TB? And why would him signing be a reasonable expectation?

I feel like this has been covered to death, but here it is.

From what I have read, there are 3 big reasons. First is the obvious, that is the connection to the organization. Second is his relationship with Marian Illitch, he's called her a second mother many times, but the big one from what I read is that when Yzerman moved to TB, his family stayed here. When you work in TB, but your family lives in the Detroit area, that can be motivation to move back.

I'm not saying he's coming back, I don't think he is. But there are reasons as to why he would.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit

And, honestly... if we respect Stevie and want him to fulfill his potential, we should want him to stay in TB and see where that goes. They're the best team in the league, and he has a real chance to contend for a cup. Let him have his glory. He's earned it.
Yeah. Probably. A part of me feels that way. Another part of me feels like it's worth a shot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why on Earth would Stevie pick Detroit over TB? Why would him signing be a reasonable expectation?

Tampa will be on cap hell pretty soon if they get success. Every SC winner will face that. Contracts will explode on their faces. And only direction is down from the top. Maybe Yzerman likes more to build a rise from bottom to the top. Detroit offers that challenge like Tampa offered 8 years ago.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's the Tampa Bay Lightning. No one cares about that franchise. There's no prestige winning there.
No offense, but when the biggest argument for leaving a franchise in the middle of their window of championship contention, is that they don't have enough history of being good decades ago, that's not a great resume for departure.

The majority of current players and personnel don't base their decisions on the fact that Montreal used to win every other Cup before color TV was around, or how Ottawa was good nearly a hundred years ago.

Do they run a good ship?
Do they treat players well?
Do they win?
Those are important things in the PRESENT, not the PAST.

Not to mention, the fact that he signed a 4 year extension in 2014 is a decent indicator that HE cares about that franchise.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Tampa will be on cap hell pretty soon if they get success. Every SC winner will face that. Contracts will explode on their faces. And only direction is down from the top. Maybe Yzerman likes more to build a rise from bottom to the top. Detroit offers that challenge like Tampa offered 8 years ago.
But in that situation, you leave after you win. It makes no sense to leave before you win.

And even then, no GM is going to leave right after the cup win. He's not going to win this year and turn around, decline to give it another shot, and sign with Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->