Awesome Auston Discussion thread

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Making those big scotia bank bucks. You don’t won’t too much money Auston sign a 8 yr deal for $10m dude

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
in all honesty, Leafs weren't the only ones who hit the jackpot when they won the draft lottery. Matthews is going to make a lot of $$$ on the side if he wants to.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
in all honesty, Leafs weren't the only ones who hit the jackpot when they won the draft lottery. Matthews is going to make a lot of $$$ on the side if he wants to.

He could retire tomorrow and never have to pay for a single meal in Toronto for the rest of his life.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If this topic is on the main board, paying Matthews anything over 7mil is overpaid BC he is not that good and just a top player instead of one of the best.....

Honestly, unless Matthews wins the Hart and Art Ross or help the Leafs lifting Lord Stanley, he will not get pay as much as McDavid. 10mil is probably going to get it done, give or take half a mil.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Would be so funny if McDavid signs a hometown discount when he hits UFA with us for 1mil a season for 8 yrs and say something like I already made 100million, I just want to win some Cups with my home team and retire as a Leafs.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Anyone else worried about his sorta underwhelming (for him) play as of late?>

I know he's got Hyman and Brown for wingers, and that can't help, and there was the injury, and then the cold/flu .. I just hope he picks it up again soon. Put Nylander back on his wing, FFS.

Reactions: ToMaLe

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

I know he's got Hyman and Brown for wingers, and that can't help, and there was the injury, and then the cold/flu .. I just hope he picks it up again soon. Put Nylander back on his wing, FFS.

Hyman and Brown have completely shut Matthews down.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

He's shown flashes of his super dominant self, but they've been few and far between the last couple weeks.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Bettman has confirmed at the BOG that the cap will be going up next year, possibly to as high as 82 mil. My question is...will Matthew's asking price also go up in proportion to cap percentage, even if it puts him higher than McDavid's per year average? We've been expecting 10.5 to 11.5 until now. Does anyone think he'll be asking over 12.5 now?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If there was anyone thinking he would get more than McJesus, they were off their rocker. Seems like the Eichel contract will screw us over now, we may have been able to get him at $10m AAV before that, now it's probably $11m.

I don't think the cap going up has any bearing

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Of course McDavid had just won the MVP before he signed his 12.5m deal. Matthews doesn't look he's close to that this year.
Heck Matthews (and Nylander) might just want bridge contracts hoping for bigger deals in the future. Or in Matthews case, just wait another year before resigning. Agree with BillDerlago above, that the 10m Eichel might a baseline. Might. have 10.5m or so before, now 11.5 or 12m.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Why is it that the salary cap goes up just a tiny bit and everyone assumes certain players salaries will follow right along?

Only a fool GM would take this minor extra room allowed to sign players and waste it all right away on 1 or 2 signees.

I equate it to getting a higher credit limit on your credit card. Does that mean you wanna cap out your card, or should you budget some restraint?

I trust our new management group to not set some new bar of stupidity to overpay young players before they actually win anything, especially after Edmonton’s continually failing example of ineptitude

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
not a chance he becomes the highest paid player in NHL history. I doubt he even wants that anyways.

I'm gonna guess 11 x 8

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Our GM is Lou...

Anyone thinking he will get McDavid money will be wrong. He will likely sign for 82 -85 million for 8 years.

I’m not sure why everybody thinks Lou is this contract magician.

Hes good with contracts but with star players he has his hands tied, the market helps to set the rate. I’ve got a hard time seeing him taking less than 11, especially with his goal totals.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I’m not sure why everybody thinks Lou is this contract magician.

Hes good with contracts but with star players he has his hands tied, the market helps to set the rate. I’ve got a hard time seeing him taking less than 11, especially with his goal totals.
Why is easy...he is a pain in the rear end to deal with...always has been and I see no reason to think it will change now besides unless he gets close to the league lead in scoring this year he will slot in around 10.5m based on production. Now winning a major trophy would change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad