Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Igor Shvyrev

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is fair to not like Boedker, but Boedker was the least of the reasons that the Avs didn't make the playoffs. He was pretty damn good here. 12 points in 18 games for a deadline player is pretty damn solid. If that team went .500 in the last 6 games, they would have been in the playoffs and that trade would be a pure footnote. That was a pathetic collapse at the end.

He wasn't the reason they made it, but if MacK & Dutchy had stayed healthy & the team not collapsed in their absence, then Boedker also wouldn't have been the reason they made it and his paper-soft 12 points in 18 games would have also been a pure footnote, regardless of how sneakily he picked guys pockets a few times :dunno:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He wasn't the reason they made it, but if MacK & Dutchy had stayed healthy & the team not collapsed in their absence, then Boedker also wouldn't have been the reason they made it and his paper-soft 12 points in 18 games would have also been a pure footnote :dunno:

I'd say he was responsible for a few of that teams 82 points, even only playing 18 games. Pretty much the lone bright spot down the stretch... If they had made it in over the Wild with 88 points, I'd say he would have been a big part of why they made it. That trade has and will always get way too much hate.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I have no inside knowledge of it. He's always lacked flexibility and it is possible his body has just maxed out... and then you compound that with other prospects coming in and stealing his PP time, you have a player that is a liability 5v5 and isn't being utilized in the area that he excels in. In other words, a fairly useless player right now.

Watch out you might Phoenix tv from the ashes with this kinda talk :sarcasm:
Too soon?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Boedker trade looks reckless in hindsight, but even so, the assets lost were not crippling. Wood's not progressing, Tanguay was a UFA (and we were all glad to see him go after the year he had), and pick #53 is a shot in the dark anyway. We managed to get a top rental that year for basically expendable pieces, that's really not a bad deal all things considered. It only really has an ugly sheen on it because we had no playoffs to show for it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Boedker trade looks reckless in hindsight, but even so, the assets lost were not crippling. Wood's not progressing, Tanguay was a UFA (and we were all glad to see him go after the year he had), and pick #53 is a shot in the dark anyway. We managed to get a top rental that year for basically expendable pieces, that's really not a bad deal all things considered. It only really has an ugly sheen on it because we had no playoffs to show for it.

I hated that deal when it happened and nothing in Boedker’s play made me waffle on it. I just hated the player being acquired.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd say he was responsible for a few of that teams 82 points, even only playing 18 games. Pretty much the lone bright spot down the stretch... If they had made it in over the Wild with 88 points, I'd say he would have been a big part of why they made it. That trade has and will always get way too much hate.

The trades and the motivations behind them were poor then, and they're even moreso now.

The sad part is that the "silver lining" from that ridiculousness was that the Avs' 2014 draft class was pretty lousy anyway.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well, you started from Rendulic, and you started from making the transition for Euro pros easier (below), which is a legitimate concern. You got responded by several posters on a question you made:

Then you started covering bases, as you recognized that part of the argument wasn't worth making.

Now, you had another more relevant point to the Avs actions, which is also a legitimate point. That said, just because people (also other than myself) responded to the specific part in that post, and not your overall point, it doesn't mean you didn't say it. So, have people then misunderstood you, or is it perhaps something else?

It's something else. See, because you can't just pull a question out of a paragraph and respond to it out of context. Here's the full context for the record:

I totally get that European professional players might have unrealistic expectations about what life is like in the NHL/AHL, but your second paragraph is what I'm talking about. Frankly, my wonder is why exactly is life in the AHL so much worse than life in European pro leagues? If I ran the Avalanche, I would make it a priority to have every team in the organization run in an extremely classy, professional manner. I'm not suggesting the players need to be pampered, but players coming from European pro leagues shouldn't be experiencing such a huge shock at the treatment they receive.

And the "second paragraph" in question is:

But how the Avs treat players/prospects that they've given up on is a question/concern that some of us have...even if it isn't entirely unique to the Avs...which is why you'll see some of us talking about this organization's "prospect ADHD" and names like Kyle Wood will get brought up.

So if you actually look at it in context, I think it was clear I was asking about the difference between the AHL and European leagues strictly within the context of how the Avs treat their players. I get that several people saw that one sentence and went off on it, but yikes - the reaction was way out of proportion to a single sentence.

But anyway, it sounds like the three of us at least agree about the Avs at least in the past not treating certain players well enough, and we're all hopeful things will be better with the Eagles. I think we can leave it at that? Unless of course someone had more info about how the Avs treat AHL players (past and present) - I'd love to hear that.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The Avs might have been on to something with Wood... I was as big of tire pumper as anybody here, but Wood's skating is so, so far from a NHL level that it looks unlikely that he will ever amount to anything. He's been reduced to a 5/6/7 role in Tucson this year... and it doesn't look any easier for him next year to gain playing time.

Not to brag or anything but I was one of the few here who didn't like Wood and was fine with seeing him shipped off. I never liked his skating and he wasn't particularly good on the D side of the puck. What he had going for him was that he was bigger than most of his peers which made his D game look better than it was and he had a nice shot/offensive instincts. But his skating would never be where it needed to in order to utilise his few strengths. 20 years ago he would have been the next Adrain Aucoin.

What an awful draft year, almost as bad as 2012, ane I wonder how much influence Roy had or if Pracey just had no idea how to identify "size, speed and skill" properly.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm a little bit late to this fest, but can't say, I'm very optimistic about, how much of your optimism will remain in a year or two about the kid. I'd be happy to be wrong, but him not being able to make WJC teams and his inability to succeed in the KHL makes me very cautious about his NHL perspectives. He kinda reminds me Rubtsov (I was very sceptical about him as well), but unlike him Shvyrev couldn't even make a WJC team.

Yeah, I know, there are some conspiracy theories around about Shvyrev not being a FHR favorite, but Bragin is a very independent coach, and nobody can dictate him, what players should be on the team and what shouldnt. So it was a pure hockey based decision, and considering, that Bragin prefered tiny Manukyan to big Shvyrev, speaks a lot, knowing, how much Bragin loves gritty players with a mental toughness.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm a little bit late to this fest, but can't say, I'm very optimistic about, how much of your optimism will remain in a year or two about the kid. I'd be happy to be wrong, but him not being able to make WJC teams and his inability to succeed in the KHL makes me very cautious about his NHL perspectives. He kinda reminds me Rubtsov (I was very sceptical about him as well), but unlike him Shvyrev couldn't even make a WJC team.

Yeah, I know, there are some conspiracy theories around about Shvyrev not being a FHR favorite, but Bragin is a very independent coach, and nobody can dictate him, what players should be on the team and what shouldnt. So it was a pure hockey based decision, and considering, that Bragin prefered tiny Manukyan to big Shvyrev, speaks a lot, knowing, how much Bragin loves gritty players with a mental toughness.

It's not a conspiracy theory to point out that he isn't a Bragin-favorite and that politics play just as much a role in team Russia as they do team Canada. It literally happens every year when we argue about why took certain players and ignored other deserving names. Come on now.

As for not getting more of a shot in the KHL, which teenagers did Magnita give shots to this season?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can be added there too. I really thought his game would translate over, but never could build the trust and simply wasn't a good enough skater to play his game in the AHL. I don't think the Avs failed him with his role as he didn't earn it, but his role certainly didn't help anything. Lesson 5,438 of skating matters in today's NA hockey.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I can be added there too. I really thought his game would translate over, but never could build the trust and simply wasn't a good enough skater to play his game in the AHL. I don't think the Avs failed him with his role as he didn't earn it, but his role certainly didn't help anything. Lesson 5,438 of skating matters in today's NA hockey.
But it’s funnier with CGF because it’s been my ongoing joke forever.

I’ll just hold it in my back pocket and haul it out against you when we’re arguing in the future and I want to go right for the jugular!

Reactions: henchman21

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Unfortunate, just could never really put it all together consistently here in North America. He had the occasional really good game with the Eagles but that was it, never once did he put 4 or 5 really solid games together to build around.

Still, I dont look at this pick by the Avs as a failed pick honestly. They took a swing on a guy with big upside and while it didnt pan out here, it could with the next one. I much prefer drafting guys who have some real solid qualities to be impact NHL guys in the later rounds, rather than the old drafting philosophy of years past where they seemed to be trying to draft AHL players in the late rounds and not even trying to find NHL talent.

I still think we will be having a very different conversation when Kovalenko comes over. That's a kid who could be a real gem out of Russia.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Too bad, I really liked his passing and playmaking and I thought there was something there to build on, but at some point both parties have to cut their losses and move on. I hope he finds his footing in the KHL.

Reactions: ljb4

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still think we will be having a very different conversation when Kovalenko comes over. That's a kid who could be a real gem out of Russia.

Kovalenko has had a much different development arc and projects as a different type of player... and I agree I think we will have a different conversation. I think Kovalenko will be a NHL player. With all of that, he also suffers from pretty average skating. Which big ice tends to hide skating issues more than small ice, so it could be a bigger problem than we realize right now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully we'll get an opportunity to find out whether Kovalenko can get it done at the NHL level or not. That mini Russian factory they were trying to build is drying up. Both Mironov and Igor left and probably didn't have a great experience. Zadorov and Kamenev may not be long for the organization either. It's all up to Kovalenko and Zhuravlyov now (no offense, Smirnov).

They should still keep making these types of picks late in the draft though. I don't think the hit rate is any worse than taking some overager from the CHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hopefully we'll get an opportunity to find out whether Kovalenko can get it done at the NHL level or not. That mini Russian factory they were trying to build is drying up. Both Mironov and Igor left and probably didn't have a great experience. Zadorov and Kamenev may not be long for the organization either. It's all up to Kovalenko and Zhuravlyov now (no offense, Smirnov).
I might be talking out of my arse, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Avs draft some Russians whenever the draft occurs. There isn't a high quality one like Svechnikov, but a lot of good potential darkhorses in the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad