AVS off-season thread

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Boikov is going back to Russia I believe(Thought I saw something about that last week) and I'd be surprised if they brought back all of Geertson, Graham, and Graves.

Even with Boikov dipping, I'm not so sure. It may not be those 4 FAs, but I can see the avs signing 4 more blueliners (not counting Nemeth or any potential NHL UFA). We're going to have Meloche, Timmins, Warsofsky & Lindholm on the Eagles who are definitely going to be pencilled in for gigs out of camp...assuming Timmins doesn't shit the bed in camp and doesn't have to start the season in the ECHL...or Alt, if one of Meloche/Timmins wins an NHL spot out of camp. Which leaves two regular blueline jobs for Anderson & whoever we sign to fight over. So even if they signed all 4 of our FA AHL blueliners, or replaced them with 4 new AHL blueliners, we wouldn't necessarily be overcrowded...not with the way injuries piling up at both levels can sap an AHL team of capable bodies in no time at all.

Let Anderson go to camp with the Eagles, but we should be planning to send him to the ECHL to start his pro career unless injuries force our hand. That would leave the 4 currently-unsigned/not-yet-signed guys to fight for 2 jobs...which, again, isn't too much clutter in the AHL, as they don't have roster limits to worry about anyway. Maybe we'd have to send a 2nd blueliner to the ECHL if one of the nacho eaters was playing a lot better than the other one; so that the #8 guy couldn't get enough minutes to stay sharp. But that's not a big deal, especially with the likes of Geertsen & Graham, who would slot into those spots if we just signed our own FAs to fill those spots.

Now;
-I dunno if Siemens will be coming back, cause I can't help but think that some other organization is likely to offer him more of a shot at the NHL than we will. But if he comes back he'll eat a lot of tough minutes and leave just 1 AHL spot up for grabs.

-I'm sceptical over whether they'll even want to bring Graves back...especially if Dunk doesn't leave us for a better offer. Have to think they'd like an upgrade as an AHL regular...maybe someone who can move the puck other our RHD prospects & dwarvesofsky?

-Graham I can see coming back...he's a good ECHL/AHL tweener who seems to have a great attitude about his lot in life...but he's the kind of player that it's not all that hard to upgrade upon if they'd rather roll the dice with bringing someone new in. So I won't be surprised if they try to find someone with more upside to start the year eating nachos.

-Geertsen I waffle about; on the one hand, he could be completely redundant with Anderson getting his ELC, and both Siemens n Graves possibly being brought back to join Lindholm as AHL stay at home guys. But Geertsen did start making positive progress again this season...remembering that he used to be a hockey player, before he tried to make it as a face-puncher...so if he'll take an AHL contract and won't be discouraged by having to start the season in the ECHL again, I'd be game to bring him back, but won't be upset if they would try try somebody else.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’d say it is very doubtful Graham and Geertsen come back. Graves likely does.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Looking back on the season, it is kind of funny how things worked out with the Avs losing the lottery. When you think back to every time the Avs bounced back and made the playoffs after a horrendous season, Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon were all in their rookie years, respectively, and were the main hype going into the new season. The Avs didn't have that last year, and pretty much the only moves made were addition by subtraction (in the off-season).

We can never know, but if the Avs won the lottery and picked Hischier, does MacKinnon have a Hart trophy season? This team has been in a pattern of of changing the face of the franchise every few years. Last season they had no choice though, and the franchise guy stepped up and finally became the player everyone imagined he would be.

Now the Avs look like a team who should be contending for a playoff spot going forward, and they still have a lottery pick defenceman in their back pocket. It's a pretty neat spot to be in.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Looking back on the season, it is kind of funny how things worked out with the Avs losing the lottery. When you think back to every time the Avs bounced back and made the playoffs after a horrendous season, Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon were all in their rookie years, respectively, and were the main hype going into the new season. The Avs didn't have that last year, and pretty much the only moves made were addition by subtraction (in the off-season).

We can never know, but if the Avs won the lottery and picked Hischier, does MacKinnon have a Hart trophy season? This team has been in a pattern of of changing the face of the franchise every few years. Last season they had no choice though, and the franchise guy stepped up and finally became the player everyone imagined he would be.

Now the Avs look like a team who should be contending for a playoff spot going forward, and they still have a lottery pick defenceman in their back pocket. It's a pretty neat spot to be in.
My favorite part is how the media (and HFBoards) crucified Sakic for "sitting on his hands" and not flipping tables last offseason.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->