AVS off-season thread

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sorry for the new thread but I never know where to post this stuff.

Anyway Barbs was interviewed at TVA (French) yesterday and said that he's negotiating with the AVS for a new contract and expects to have one signed soon. Says he really likes it in Colorado and feels good here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Interesting, I would have thought they would move on from Barbie, but I don't hate the move if true. It gives us insurance on the bottom pair, and he's definitely better than Alt. As long as he's used properly, he's a good option and prevents us from dipping into free agency.

It also probably means Timmins gets forced down to Loveland, which is fine, unless he blows everyone away, which is also fine.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sign Tavares, sign Carlson(if doesn't resigns with the Caps) win the cup next year

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Cdh or Cole 3-4y for 4M max.
Staz 4y -6M
Trade 16th pick + Andrighetto or Kerfoot for Jeff Skinner (and sign 6y - 6.5M)
Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Skinner-Staz-Jost
Kamenev-Soderberg-Compher
Nieto-Toni-Bourque.

Girard-Johnson
Z-Barrie
Cdh-Meloche or Timmins
Barberio 7th
Nemeth 8th

Varlamov
Tchequie goalie
Sign Hammond for AHL

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Just improve the team without overpaying in contracts or trades, otherwise prepare to label next year a development season and miss the playoffs.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I hope Sakic doesn’t re-sign everyone, like management did after the miracle season with Roy. Just because the Avs made the playoffs doesn’t mean every waiver pickup needs a multi year deal.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Sorry for the new thread but I never know where to post this stuff.

Anyway Barbs was interviewed at TVA (French) yesterday and said that he's negotiating with the AVS for a new contract and expects to have one signed soon. Says he really likes it in Colorado and feels good here.

Depending on money and term i like bringing Barberio back, it keeps Alt/Siemens/Lindholm off the ice and let Timmins and Meloche develope in the minors if they are not ready.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Barbie was brutal last year, but he was much better every other season and was asked to play a lot of Dzone time last season.

I still hope they can land one of Carlson/Dehaan and one of Stastny/Tavares

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not a fan of this. Dont like Barbie's game at all honestly. As a #7 Dman sure he's alright, but I have little doubt he's being signed to player higher on the charts then that.

There's better options available in Free Agency.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I actually like Barberio, despite the stretch of bad play towards the end last season (which I personally think was more to do with just the brutal layoff he had and then trying to play "catch-up" at the end). IF they re-sign him I'm good with it, because he's in that 6/7 role.

EJ
Barrie
Zadorov
Girard
Nemeth

Are the main 5. Joe definitely needs to attack and go after Carlson OR CDH (if Carlson goes elsewhere), adding one of them definitely helps the D out, and pushes Barberio to that 7 role, Alt/Siemens/Lindholm to the 8/call-up role.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Barbie was brutal last year, but he was much better every other season and was asked to play a lot of Dzone time last season.

I still hope they can land one of Carlson/Dehaan and one of Stastny/Tavares

Barberio wasn't brutal last year, he had ups and downs, in fact he played his best when Barrie was out, he and Nemeth played well together during that stretch.

Reactions: McMetal

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Barberio wasn't brutal last year, he had ups and downs, in fact he played his best when Barrie was out, he and Nemeth played well together during that stretch.

I guess it is just the recency bias for me, but I just remember him being brutal. I do think it was an outlier season though and he is fine for bottom pairing duties.

I just really want another actual top 4 D in the fold to cope with injuries.

Zads - EJ
De Haan - Barrie
Girard - Nemeth
Barbie Lindholm

Would be my ideal. Assuming carlson wants to stay in Washington.

Reactions: hooverdam

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Isn't De Haan the second best defenseman in FA? Only reason NYI is letting him walk is because he's asking for too much IIRC... I'll be surprised if any team gets him on a fair contract.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Isn't De Haan the second best defenseman in FA? Only reason NYI is letting him walk is because he's asking for too much IIRC... I'll be surprised if any team gets him on a fair contract.

He's not really a point-producer plus he only played in 33 games this year due to an injury (or injuries?). Offense is what gets people paid, but since he's a UFA he'll have the "UFA Tax" on there, I can see him getting into the 4.5M range, which is a big increase on his current salary.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I actually don't mind Barbs on the bottom pair at all. Let him start the year there and be replaced if/when Timmins is ready. It's the Alt signing that I really don't like.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I actually don't mind Barbs on the bottom pair at all. Let him start the year there and be replaced if/when Timmins is ready. It's the Alt signing that I really don't like.

There's really no problem with the Alt signing, it's entirely buriable and he's better call-up insurance than the likes of Warsofsky or others the Avs have had in the past. I am currently expecting him to be in the AHL next season.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Barberio can sometimes have outright disastrous games, like he did in the Global Series. But more often than not he plays a quiet, steady game in a depth role. During the 10-game win streak the waiver-wire pairing of Nemeth-Barberio played a lot of tough minutes.

At the beginning of the season I couldn't wait until he was off the roster. Once he went down not long after the win streak ended I saw his value. He's a LHD with size who can play both sides, has some puckmoving ability and is the king of the chip-shot out of the zone. I wish he'd be more physical in the defensive zone, and he is indeed prone to the occasional brain fart or just flat-out bad game, but I mean, I can't imagine he's asking for a massive increase on the $700K he made last season. If indeed a prospect supplants him, it shouldn't be terribly hard to move him. Worst case scenario, he gets waived/demoted and the Avs have $1 million or so in dead space for a year or two. Now if he's asking for Kris Russell money, then I say let him walk.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't get this at all. It's only two years, and the cap hit is minimal (and it's a two-way deal, so if he clears waivers he makes considerably less). It's a perfect deal for a 7th defenseman. Who would you rather have as the 7th D!?

This is such a harmless signing it's not even worth getting worked up over one way or the other.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
There's really no problem with the Alt signing, it's entirely buriable and he's better call-up insurance than the likes of Warsofsky or others the Avs have had in the past. I am currently expecting him to be in the AHL next season.

Alt taking AHL minutes away from Timmins, Meloche, Andersen, Geertsen, etc is the part I don't like. I don't trust AHL coaches to not play vets over the kids who need the ice time to develop. I'd rather him sit in the NHL pressbox, which isn't fair to him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Alt taking AHL minutes away from Timmins, Meloche, Andersen, Geertsen, etc is the part I don't like. I don't trust AHL coaches to not play vets over the kids who need the ice time to develop. I'd rather him sit in the NHL pressbox, which isn't fair to him.

It just comes across as really nitpicky. Like...it's a 2-year two-way deal. The Avs need veteran players down in Loveland this year, and Alt can be a valuable member of that team AND those players can still get minutes.

It's about as close to a non-issue as one could get.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Alt won’t take minutes from Meloche, and if Timmins isn’t ready to beat Alt out for PT then there’s no harm to not rushing him and letting him be eased into the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad