Confirmed with Link: Avs claim Patrik Nemeth, D from Dallas Stars

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Dallas team and culture is very solid. Nemeth will get harrassed here, because this board always seems to expect a lot of points, but if he can stomp out a few rushes, I'm happy. Nemeth WILL be the guy they hoped Cowen was hoped to be.

-Bednar

Bednar confirming what we all thought, Nemeth is a guy.

All this talk...
d6499900fd91a44ac15ba2e55b16755a--the-guys-tags.jpg

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Landeskog and Nemeth grew up in the same town. Stockholm, Sweden. Nemeth played for AIK and Landeskog for the Djurgarden.

Nemeth is a world junior champion (2012, 6g 0+5=5 +7) and did take out Kuznetsov, Yakupov and Kucherov in the final. Zibanejad scored the winning goal. Landeskog and Nemeth played two games together the year before.

We're BACK!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah he was solid last night. No big mistakes, often made the simple easy play and had a real nice read on his assist to jump up into the play and get open for Teri's pass.

Not convinced he should be playing Top 4 minutes, but definitely better than our other options for the bottom pairing right now.

Ideally tomorrow afternoon's D group would look like this IMO:

Zadorov - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Nemeth - Lindholm

With Mironov and Barbie eating nachos.

Reactions: linusandvarlamov

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Someone made the Hejda comparison. That seems pretty spot on.

The good news is he's 10 years younger than AVS' Hejda. There's a strong possibility that many people will eat crow here...the overall reaction for claiming him was embarrassingly and unjustifiably negative.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He does bring a reliable, stay-at-home dynamic that our blueline was lacking. Also, like Beauchemin in his first year here, he seems to be picking up points at a much larger clip than expected. It's amazing what a guy who can get the puck back in the defensive zone can do for this team, I kind of worry that the Avs have been falling too much in love with offense from the blueline lately when the real problem is the lack of ability to just break up the other team's cycle in the D zone and get the puck moving the other way. Nemeth being a guy who can get that done will really help to tilt the ice away from Varlamov.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He's been really good when you consider he was just thrown-in here. Plays a simple game, makes simple plays. Agreed that the Hejda comparison is a good one (the first year with the Avs) and I came here to post that. He's not really that noticeable but that's actually a great thing...it means he's not costing you.

Nemeth and the emergence of Chris Bigras who's been really, really good as well are difference makers for this club so far this year.

I had a few games from last year DVR-ed that I hadn't finished completely so I watched them to finish and delete them. All I can say is LOL #32...what a putrid player

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Oh my god, missed this and I love this trade.

I have been following Patrik's career and I am super excited about this.

Very, very good trade by Avalanche, all teams need a strong big physical stay at home type of d-man of his type. This is a guy who quietly will do all the right things for the team. Huge mistake by Dallas Stas, epic failure, if failing to a develop a player like Nemeth then something is wrong with the organization, that's for sure.

Patrik has shown several times in his career being a big game clutchy player, stepping up when necessary (for AIK, for Swedish junior national team when winning gold, for Texas Stars when winning Calder). This guy has a huge upside and as you have seen already he knows how to play offense too, a lot having to do with coaching here I think since he is a super loyal team player kind of guy. I definately not anticipate him to continue producing points like this though, would be a huge but fun surprise. For me Nemeth is still a physical stay at home type of player and a fantastic pp killer.

Comments from Nemeth's junior hockey Mattias Jonsson:
"He has always been calm and confident with a good look at the game. Large, stable, strong and always physical in his game. He was and is willing to walk over corpses to keep clean in front of the box and not let anyone cross the blue line. He grew quite a bit in puberty and got some knee problems, but as soon as it disappeared, he got a tremendous development. "

Fun with both him and Landeskog starting their careers for the Stockholm team Hammarby (they played together when very young, at least in the famous 05-06 team), wouldn't surprsie me at all if Landeskog had a word in this. Gabriel's father Tony on the picture is a heart and soul Hammarby guy. Yes, Gabriel played for Djurgården later because Hammarby is not in SEL. I'm pretty sure Gabriel is a Hammarby guy by heart too though (and Nemeth).

Great article about Nemeth and Landeskog here:
https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/nemeth-and-landeskog-reunited-in-colorado/c-291552652

About the extremely talanted junior team Hammarby had back then:
"Hammarby P92 - one of the most talented junior teams in Sweden ever.
"I came home crying a lot of times because I did not get to play, but it helped me fight more," says Fredrik Claesson, 24, today defenseman in Ottawa Senators.
The picture is a team picture of Hammarby P92 from 2005. In some seasons, from being around twelve years, they barely lost a match and were best in Sweden in their cohort."

I strongly believe that Nemeth with self confidence may become a really, really good NHLer. Also his unluck with injuries simply has to stop immediately, his sacrificing, unafraid way he chooses to play hockey is a part of this. I also strongly believes that Nemeth has the capacity of becoming one of the best pp killers (at least top 10 among NHL defensemen, most probably top 5).

Landeskog and Nemeth in the same NHL team again, are you kidding me?? :)

uhzugisfcpdejpr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: motojime and Tru

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Good news:
http://bsndenver.com/patrik-nemeths-shoulder-injury-not-serious-back-at-practice-wednesday/

Next time facing Seguin, don't smash the helmet, hit the chin, try an uppercut? :sarcasm: If correct it was a shoulder injury though.... hmmm... well

Just kidding, Nemeth is a really nice calm, composed, humble guy and not a fighter at all. He likes keeping it clean in front of the box and we cannot blame him for that.

I'm getting really tired of all strange injuries Nemeth has had during his career, I wonder what happens the next time :whatever: this simply has to stop.

This is typical Nemeth

Freak injury and perhaps the biggest reason why Nemeth now is an Avalanche player, stopping his development. Nemeth established himself in Dallas Stars and then this happened.

Nemeth playing vs men as a teenager, yes, he is made for the NHL.

Nemeth winning the Calder, scoring.

Nemeth playing for the national Junior team

Nemeth for national junior team again, simply dominating play, dealing with Russians, paving the way for Zibanejad's winning goal.

Nemeth is a true big game player and I hope he will get a chance to show it for the Avalanche. I sometimes get the impression he gets frustrated on his teammates and finally decide to do it himself, starting playing like a forward (not kidding).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone made the Hejda comparison. That seems pretty spot on.

Definitely. Like a first year with the Avs Hejda so far. The D unit looked noticeably more suspect with him out of the lineup too.

In typical Avs fashion though they'll likely ruin him by playing him too many minutes against top competition.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Definitely. Like a first year with the Avs Hejda so far. The D unit looked noticeably more suspect with him out of the lineup too.

In typical Avs fashion though they'll likely ruin him by playing him too many minutes against top competition.

Well they need to ruin someone. They don't have anyone else.

herm1978

Jun 29, 2011
Why did he have less than 10 minutes of ice-time against the Islanders, injury problems?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Why did he have less than 10 minutes of ice-time against the Islanders, injury problems?

Good question, probably but I don't know.

Using one of the best defenseman so far in the season only for 10 minute is strange.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad