Confirmed with Link: Avs claim Patrik Nemeth, D from Dallas Stars

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't mind the pickup, the more depth the better, but odd for Bednar to pencil him in without even seeing him practice. It's probably just giving me flashbacks to the auto Stuart extension.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But Barbario is decent and Nemeth is bad. And Barbario is an Av who went to training camp and was part of the team. Nemeth got cut from another team.
They are both decent. Nemeth isn't bad, he's just a band-aid, which is EXACTLY what Barbie was. Don't let watching Barberio playing better than Gelinas and Golubef last year fool you into thinking he's a building block for the team. It wasn't a high bar to look decent on last year's squad. I have zero problem with relegating Barbie to nacho duty/waivers, we won't lose much.

I'm annoyed that he's going to bump Bigras and Lindholm down the depth chart, but he isn't awful. He's a temporary fix and hopefully one of the kids will force him out of the lineup in short order. But let's not pretend that he's a Cowen level player who would hurt more than he helps on the ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But Barbario is decent and Nemeth is bad. And Barbario is an Av who went to training camp and was part of the team. Nemeth got cut from another team.

Barbario isn't decent, and I'd say in some situations Nemeth is a better player. Both are replacement level players and it shows how little faith the Avs have in this defense.

Y'all kept wanting a waiver pickup and having the higher priority. 99% of the time, you don't get good players from those pickups.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Anyone know if Vegas has made their final cuts? They have a slight logjam on defense and unless they swing a trade they will likely waive a better-than-average waiver-pickup.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nemeth is closer in style to Lindholm than Barberio.

Question is, is he better than Lindhom?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How's his skating? I know nothing about him aside from his numbers and watching the odd Stars game.

Solid to good for his size. To put it in an Avs' perspective... he is a Siemens with more puck skills.

Reactions: S3rkie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Barbario isn't decent, and I'd say in some situations Nemeth is a better player. Both are replacement level players and it shows how little faith the Avs have in this defense.

Y'all kept wanting a waiver pickup and having the higher priority. 99% of the time, you don't get good players from those pickups.
Don't say "ya'll" Ike I was one of them lol. I repeatedly said how stupid it would be of the Avalanche to claim another team's trash while still trying to make final roster decisions. The Avs actually one upped my horrible reasoning. They not only claimed another team's trash, but they gave another team's trash a top 4 role before even having him practice with the team.

As for comparing Barbario to Nemeth. I see one defenseman who does a good job of moving the puck to the positive side of the ice and I see one who is really bad at it. I've seen enough of both with my eyes to understand that the stats match both pretty well. I think Barbs is a fine bottom pairing D. I don't think Nemeth should be in an NHL lineup.

Reactions: dahrougem2

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't say "ya'll" Ike I was one of them lol. I repeatedly said how stupid it would be of the Avalanche to claim another team's trash while still trying to make final roster decisions. The Avs actually one upped my horrible reasoning. They not only claimed another team's trash, but they gave another team's trash a top 4 role before even having him practice with the team.

As for comparing Barbario to Nemeth. I see one defenseman who does a good job of moving the puck to the positive side of the ice and I see one who is really bad at it. I've seen enough of both with my eyes to understand that the stats match both pretty well. I think Barbs is a fine bottom pairing D. I don't think Nemeth should be in an NHL lineup.

I'm saying it in a collective sense as in the board (obviously some won't be included and this wasn't directed at you in the least). It was trumpeted around how it was a good thing, and the Avs could use it to their advantage... these are the types of players that can be had with those spots.

I see one defensemen who can PK better and be paired up with a smaller puck mover more easily. While the other is better offensively and needs help on the defensive side of the puck. To me, both are better off in the press box right now, or playing in a bottom pairing role at the highest. If you are carrying 8D, having one of each type isn't a bad thing for extra D. The issue is when they coaches and front offices want these players playing up. Neither Barbs nor Nemeth should be playing on the middle pairing with Barrie, but that isn't the players' faults.

Playing next to Barrie though, and only choosing between Barbario and Nemeth... I'd take Nemeth 10 times out of 10. The styles should work better together.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say the pairings are more like:

Lindholm-EJ
____-Barrie
Zadorov-____

The blanks will be filled with some combination of Bigras, Mironov, Barbario, and Nemeth

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How's his skating? I know nothing about him aside from his numbers and watching the odd Stars game.

Reportedly he has decent acceleration but not great top speed, so essentially the inverse EJ.

Overall I've read he's pretty much average in all aspects. Not a great or horrid skater, not great nor terrible with the puck, and pretty much average hockey IQ. I suppose if he offers a steadying presence alongside Tyson Barrie then great. But I'm also not enthusiastic about the fact that the Avs have now once again resorted to a placeholder to play alongside Barrie. This issue should have been addressed by now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm saying it in a collective sense as in the board (obviously some won't be included and this wasn't directed at you in the least). It was trumpeted around how it was a good thing, and the Avs could use it to their advantage... these are the types of players that can be had with those spots.

I see one defensemen who can PK better and be paired up with a smaller puck mover more easily. While the other is better offensively and needs help on the defensive side of the puck. To me, both are better off in the press box right now, or playing in a bottom pairing role at the highest. If you are carrying 8D, having one of each type isn't a bad thing for extra D. The issue is when they coaches and front offices want these players playing up. Neither Barbs nor Nemeth should be playing on the middle pairing with Barrie, but that isn't the players' faults.

Playing next to Barrie though, and only choosing between Barbario and Nemeth... I'd take Nemeth 10 times out of 10. The styles should work better together.
In a fit sense with Barrie yes I guess he makes more sense than Barbario but I'm talking about in the lineup in general. Barbs should be an every day defensemen based on the crapshoot of players we have IMO while I don't think Nemeth is good enough to crack it.

I mean Nemeth couldn't make it as an every day player for the Stars when he was at his best a couple of years ago and the Stars d corp was horrid. Now Nemeth is worse than he used to be. I understand the injury probably played into it but that doesn't mean he's going to get better.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Reportedly he has decent acceleration but not great top speed, so essentially the inverse EJ.

Overall I've read he's pretty much average in all aspects. Not a great or horrid skater, not great nor terrible with the puck, and pretty much average hockey IQ. I suppose if he offers a steadying presence alongside Tyson Barrie then great. But I'm also not enthusiastic about the fact that the Avs have now once again resorted to a placeholder to play alongside Barrie. This issue should have been addressed by now.
I think that's an odd representation of his skating. I'd say probably the opposite. Slow moving to start, but once he gets going he tops out at a pretty good speed for a big guy.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Giving Lindholm more AHL time isn't a bad idea even with the Blues prospects. Personally, his injury probably set him back, but it's not like he will become a "bust" now. He can develop his craft more, get stronger, and once Avs get rid of Barberio or if one of Nemeth or Bigras fail he will find himself back with the club.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I am pretty happy with the pickup...
I don't like Barberio - Barrie one bit and Nemeth- Barrie is hopefullly also better than Lindholm - Barrie.

Bigras made the roster. Siemens, Lindholm, Mironov, Barberio, Nemeth...
These guys all have something in common..
You won't find guys like them anywhere near the top4 on a team with serious playoff aspirations...

Bigras atleast has the potential for more. Lindholm at the end of the day might turn out to be the best out of all of them but its not like a bit of extra AHL time will hurt him (unless he bolts back to Europe which would really suck) and I expect Barberio to drop out of the mix sooner or later anyways..

So yeah. Bigras kept his spot and Barrie got what is hopefully a better match when it comes to his D-partner....

People can complain about waiver pickups all they want but given how weak our roster is at certain positions, gambling on a few wildcards there is a smart move. Its not like they are blocking prospects that we should have high hopes for...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It feels like we've had this same conversation a dozen times. Them hitting waivers isn't a shock and I still believe it's better to do it now than later. But I thought it would be to fill out depth, not fill the hole that was supposed to get filled by the trade that never happened. If they wanted to keep some "experience" around, I get that. If they wanted to use their priority while they have it, I get that too. They never seem to go for the upside guys off the wire though. But to (assuming) basically play a guy immediately off the street sight unseen in the season opener in 48 hours without a camp, preseason or a full practice ( they might have a light one tomorrow but they are flying out too). With the emphasis on the conditioning and learning the system and blah blah all camp and then to say hey we'd rather go outside our org yet again is where the mixed message is. IMO.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Can't wait to see this guy getting 24-26 minutes a night after a couple injuries. Should be great!

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Our professional scouts blow ..this is sad just because he's Landy's bud ..pffft

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I’m more surprised how comfortable Bednar is getting this guy into the line up than I am the move itself.

Nemeth is a big body who can PK and has more long term upside than guys like Lindholm and Siemens. But to go from waivers to in the line up in basically two days?

(Then again, I guess the same thing happens when a team acquired someone via trade)

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How much does the fact that he is 6'3 and 220 lbs influence the decision to claim him?

Lindholm, Barberio, and Bigras, is a tiny left side. Bednar kept talking about Siemens bringing a different element, perhaps they wanted more size in the mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad