Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Casey Mittelstadt for Bo Byram

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There are many that believe that, but I disagree with that notion. There are certain pieces that are needed to build a Cup team... you need a 1C, 1D, 2C, top line (if not star) winger, starting goalie that won't shit the bed, shutdown defensemen, etc. IF the BPA is only LD and you just keep drafting them, you won't ever have a team. I'm very much a draft your core and get your toughest pieces, then filter in the rest.

This is a team that drafted Reinhart, Eichel, Mitts, and Cozens with top 10 picks within 6 drafts. Along with getting ROR first and then Thompson from ROR in that span. There are only so many guys you can put at center. In a vacuum you can argue that any of those picks/moves were right at the end of the day, it loses sight of finding a way to build a team. Swap Cozens for Boldy or Knight and you probably have a different outlook.

They did it with LD too... they drafted Dahlin and Samuelsson in the same draft. Then another LD at 31 the next season. Then Power in 21. That's 4 LD in the first 32 picks in 4 years. Unsurprisingly, Johnson is having issues breaking into the league and certainly will have more trouble since they brought in Byram too. I'm not the biggest handedness person, but at least sprinkle in a RD. Get a two way winger with size and grit. Get a high end talent winger. Don't just draft the same positions and players over and over again.
Seems like Buffalo has no direction or plan at any of the hockey operations levels.
They drafted all that talent, and seemingly were going to die on the prospect development hill. Maybe, but debatedly, on an internal budget trying to be competitive with a bunch of ELCs on the roster. On one hand trading Mitts didn't make sense because - why did you spend the time developing him just to trade him when he hit his prime? OTOH, maybe they traded him because they ARE on that internal budget, so they're chopping salary, saying Byram is a good player etc, to justify waiting on more ELC prospects to fill that C position.

The only logic that makes sense from a Buffalo POV is logic that I vehemently disagree with. If KA settles for Krebs as 3C and/or waiting on Savoie or maybe even Ostlund to become a capable C in 2-3 years, then that settles it to me. That will show the organization is happy with a perpetual "development" phase that may never change gears into a legit Cup contender. I'm fine waiting/hoping for Savoie or Ostlund, but not at the cost of wasting another couple years on hope while Krebs flounders in a role he isn't capable of, just to shallowly justify a portion of the Eichel trade.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
They drafted all that talent, and seemingly were going to die on the prospect development hill. Maybe, but debatedly, on an internal budget trying to be competitive with a bunch of ELCs on the roster. On one hand trading Mitts didn't make sense because - why did you spend the time developing him just to trade him when he hit his prime? OTOH, maybe they traded him because they ARE on that internal budget, so they're chopping salary, saying Byram is a good player etc, to justify waiting on more ELC prospects to fill that C position.

The only logic that makes sense from a Buffalo POV is logic that I vehemently disagree with. If KA settles for Krebs as 3C and/or waiting on Savoie or maybe even Ostlund to become a capable C in 2-3 years, then that settles it to me. That will show the organization is happy with a perpetual "development" phase that may never change gears into a legit Cup contender. I'm fine waiting/hoping for Savoie or Ostlund, but not at the cost of wasting another couple years on hope while Krebs flounders in a role he isn't capable of, just to shallowly justify a portion of the Eichel trade.
the only justifying of that trade is the injury that is clearly now way overblown.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not a huge Eichel fan but the way the Sabres handled that situation was beyond shameful. To withhold medical care basically out of spite was a slimebucket move.

And that's my biggest concern if I was a Pointy Things fan. I'm still not sure if GMKA knows what he's doing but Terry Pegula is that he's flaky AF and somehow simultaneously too meddlesome and too complacent.

I do hope they move on from Krebs soon. He looks like Jost 2.0, and Krebs for a very long time couldn't even supplant Tyson on the depth chart.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not a huge Eichel fan but the way the Sabres handled that situation was beyond shameful. To withhold medical care basically out of spite was a slimebucket move.

And that's my biggest concern if I was a Pointy Things fan. I'm still not sure if GMKA knows what he's doing but Terry Pegula is that he's flaky AF and somehow simultaneously too meddlesome and too complacent.

I do hope they move on from Krebs soon. He looks like Jost 2.0, and Krebs for a very long time couldn't even supplant Tyson on the depth chart.
How is moving on from Krebs accomplish anything? He's a 4th liner.

What they need is a defensive structure and a goalie that can make stops on a constant basis. This would literally solve all their problems.

I'm no Lindy Ruff fan and I know that he failed to do exactly that in NJ but at least he's a real NHL coach. Something that Buffalo didn't have since....Lindy Ruff.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah there is no way Buffalo can justify the Eichel deal now. They dug their heels in on a surgery and it was a mistake. It was the best surgery for the injury and they were too scared/petty about it.

Krebs follows the same path of... beware of undersized centers with skating issues. Another guy that looked fine or even good in juniors only to have it exposed in the NHL. One day teams will have to learn that these guys don't translate all that well. The ones that do have absurdly good IQ to where you can see it a mile away. Or they move to wing, so you simply don't value them as a center when you draft, you value them at wing. Which that can still be a phenomenal player, just don't think they can be slotted down the middle... certainly don't force it.

What they need is a defensive structure and a goalie that can make stops on a constant basis. This would literally solve all their problems.

I'm no Lindy Ruff fan and I know that he failed to do exactly that in NJ but at least he's a real NHL coach. Something that Buffalo didn't have since....Lindy Ruff.
UPL was more than good enough to win with, so they had goaltending already this season. They certainly need defensive structure and to learn how to play within structure well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

If they were just resigned to him being a 4th liner they'd have found a proper 3C by now. They haven't yet, and if anything weakened their depth at center at the deadline.

Thing is, when a highly-touted or even somewhat highly-touted prospect doesn't meet expectations and levels off as something lesser, it rarely works out with the team that drafted/acquired him for a much bigger role. It didn't work with Erik Johnson in St. Louis, it didn't work with Michael Dal Colle in Long Island, it didn't work with Curtis Lazar in Ottawa, and it didn't work with Tyson Jost in Colorado, and I don't recall an instance where an organization worked harder to try and find a role--ANY role--on the roster for a guy who didn't meet his lofty draft expectations. If Krebs is to have any sort of NHL career, it'll likely need to be somewhere else, and Buffalo just needs to cut their losses. IMO the Eichel trade was still successful for them because they got a solid player in Alex Tuch and possibly two really good building blocks in Heidt and Ostlund. Who cares if the "biggest" piece of that trade didn't work out? They more than made up for it with the O'Reilly trade (much to my surprise) and if Levi works out, the Reinhart deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If they were just resigned to him being a 4th liner they'd have found a proper 3C by now. They haven't yet, and if anything weakened their depth at center at the deadline.

Thing is, when a highly-touted or even somewhat highly-touted prospect doesn't meet expectations and levels off as something lesser, it rarely works out with the team that drafted/acquired him for a much bigger role. It didn't work with Erik Johnson in St. Louis, it didn't work with Michael Dal Colle in Long Island, it didn't work with Curtis Lazar in Ottawa, and it didn't work with Tyson Jost in Colorado, and I don't recall an instance where an organization worked harder to try and find a role--ANY role--on the roster for a guy who didn't meet his lofty draft expectations. If Krebs is to have any sort of NHL career, it'll likely need to be somewhere else, and Buffalo just needs to cut their losses. IMO the Eichel trade was still successful for them because they got a solid player in Alex Tuch and possibly two really good building blocks in Heidt and Ostlund. Who cares if the "biggest" piece of that trade didn't work out? They more than made up for it with the O'Reilly trade (much to my surprise) and if Levi works out, the Reinhart deal.
Girgensons in Buffalo is a great example of that.

Reactions: missionAvs

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Might have been quieter than Eichel and not dragged out in the media but maybe Mitts wanted out.
Are we that surprised they traded Mitts? They also gave up Reinhardt foolishly and O'Reilly - all with meager returns relative to what they gave up. Byram might end up the best trade of that bunch and still bad.
Uh no, he was ready to talk extension before Adams moved him.

Reinhart was also going to walk in free agency. They got Kulich and Devon Levi in exchange for him, for someone who was going to walk, that's quite alright.

Reactions: Chiarelli

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't follow Buffalo too closely thanks for the insight.
They also got Kulich and Devon Levi in exchange for Reinhart, that's quite alright. A lot of fans wish we could've kept him but it wasn't in the cards due to Botterill giving him bridge after bridge. Reinhart was understandably kinda checked out and with Eichel gone too it was obvious.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

After the Mitts/Byram trade KA hinted at Krebs being the replacement by saying he was looking at "internal" replacements, and during the summer looking for a 4C and top 6//9 winger (I don't remember exactly if he said top 6 or top 9). That strongly infers he thinks Krebs is the 3C replacement for Mitts, because he was the 4C prior to the trade (and not great at that role). Krebs played 3C for the rest of the season.

Everything else in your post is spot on, but I believe they have their goalie in UPL, although I don't put it past this organization to do the exact same thing they did with Ullmark until he just plays hardball and walks.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After the Mitts/Byram trade KA hinted at Krebs being the replacement by saying he was looking at "internal" replacements, and during the summer looking for a 4C and top 6//9 winger (I don't remember exactly if he said top 6 or top 9). That strongly infers he thinks Krebs is the 3C replacement for Mitts, because he was the 4C prior to the trade (and not great at that role). Krebs played 3C for the rest of the season.

Everything else in your post is spot on, but I believe they have their goalie in UPL, although I don't put it past this organization to do the exact same thing they did with Ullmark until he just plays hardball and walks.
UPL is good, if the players buy into playing under a real defensive structure everything should fall in place. Having a bottom 6er like Krebs not sitting on the right chair isn't the end of the world.

All they need is a real coach. I'm still not sure Ruff is the right one but it's better than what they had.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mitts last two games have been his best as an Av by far. Looks like he's finally developing some chemistry with his linemates, and Parise has been a perfect fit for that line.

Still needs to work on his shooting accuracy, as he keeps missing the net on great chances, but if his linemates keep scoring, it won’t matter. Hope this continues.

Reactions: Pokecheque

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Mitts last two games have been his best as an Av by far. Looks like he's finally developing some chemistry with his linemates, and Parise has been a perfect fit for that line.

Still needs to work on his shooting accuracy, as he keeps missing the net on great chances, but if his linemates keep scoring, it won’t matter. Hope this continues.
Mitts really does have a great shot when he lets it fly. Missing the net when he let it go wasn’t an issue so that’s interesting!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mitts really does have a great shot when he lets it fly. Missing the net when he let it go wasn’t an issue so that’s interesting!

We heard some talk about his shot not being great in Buffalo. His velocity and release look just fine to me, but there's been a consistent theme of missing the net trying to pick corners or something. Happened probably 5-10 times or so since the trade. Also occasionally just shot into the goalie's chest.

He'd benefit from staying out late in practice with Nate, just firing pucks endlessly to work on his shot.

Drouin did this and his shot noticeably improved from the beginning of the season to the end. Both his velocity and accuracy. He actually turned himself into someone with a bit of a muffin that shot into the goalie's chest, to a dangerous shooter that can pick corners, and score on many types of shots, in different spots on the ice.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
We heard some talk about his shot not being great in Buffalo. His velocity and release look just fine to me, but there's been a consistent theme of missing the net trying to pick corners or something. Happened probably 5-10 times or so since the trade. Also occasionally just shot into the goalie's chest.

He'd benefit from staying out late in practice with Nate, just firing pucks endlessly to work on his shot.

Drouin did this and his shot noticeably improved from the beginning of the season to the end. Both his velocity and accuracy. He actually turned himself into someone with a bit of a muffin that shot into the goalie's chest, to a dangerous shooter that can pick corners, and score on many types of shots, in different spots on the ice.
I think I recall Nate saying early in his career he stopped trying to kill the puck, took a bit off of it, and started hitting spots more consistently. Hitting the chest and missing the net makes me think a similar approach might work.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think I recall Nate saying early in his career he stopped trying to kill the puck, took a bit off of it, and started hitting spots more consistently. Hitting the chest and missing the net makes me think a similar approach might work.

Just a guess on my part, but I think that probably just helps you get out of the rut, and build confidence. Just putting in the reps, and not thinking too much about it, is probably the difference maker.

The end result is probably doing what you were doing before, but with more confidence, and perhaps better mechanics.

The mechanics part being similar to drilling whatever you're doing in hockey, or otherwise, but doing it in slow motion, so you're aware of the fine movements you make that make a difference, and you can unconsciously fine tune them. Then utilize them at full speed with the muscle memory you created.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Ordered through hockey authentic, I could see him with an "A"..
The comment on the C was a riff on a post someone made in the our last GDT. Mitts was absolutely dominating and they posted a .gif with a live look at Mitts talking to MacKinnon....

I Am the Captain Now.gif

It was a beauty of a post in the moment but for the life of me I'm drawing a blank on who done it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad