Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 2, Avs lead series 2 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Was going to make a list of Jets players, who didn't show up......
But, have only so much gin available. Getting beat in all zones.

"Pushback" has to be forthcoming, the many passengers have to get on the
train. It can be done.
But, Jennings and Vezina need a reapperence.....
This, pushback is all they need, win more puck battles, keep the game on the wall and a forward high to slow down their breakouts.

And start Bro, Helle needs a mental reset. And Bowness needs to call out the floaters before not after the series is over.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
There was already a pim called on the play when Scheifele got punched in the face. We want the whistles put away right? It's the glaring PIMs the Jets take (leaving guys bleeding on the ice or the puck cleared over for delay of game) that have to be called. The Jets got away with breaking sticks slashing interference as well. The Refs really didn't do anything wrong here... Connor was tripped after a pim was already called... It's literally after the play is over. Remember the rule states that the play is dead when the ref reaches for the whistle, and has deemed the play dead. Why would they call that? It's not a pim simple.

The Jets need to win a game. This is a deep team and the reality is they need to roll all lines with speed and the same "brain" they try to be hero's and it goes sideways fast.

The play where Middlestat dished it was Scheifele and Dylan, Dylan blew a tire. That play was an EASY read Schmidt have to Scheifele at the blew line then jumped to create numbers. Schmidt and Connor were on a 2-1 if Scheifele sends that puck in back to schmidt, instead he dusts the puck off and tries to make something else happen... Aka trying to be a hero aka playing above the team. It's a effect example of the mistakes that are being made by critical players.

Play as a team or lose.
you can take more then one penalty on a play, just because you take a penalty doesn't mean you can do more after that... show me the interference the jets got away with that was as blatant as the names and pionk hits... there was no penalty being called by the refs on the connor trip, the refs didn't call the highstick either it was the linesmen which means that the refs just ignored the trip on connor as they had no idea toews was even high sticked.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The jets forecheck has not been fast enough, AJF will be a huge help with that if he gets in. Id like to see Perfetti get in on the 2nd line too but idk who you take out to get both guys in

Reactions: thereturn

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What's done is done. Bitching about it won't change anything, but I understand the frustration

The next game is it. Win, and we have momentum heading back home. Lose and it's over

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm thankful for the great regular season we had... from helle and shief re-signing to the 111 points this team put up. When you look at our roster vs other top teams, it becomes pretty apparent that we may have punched above our weight for much of the year

There is more to cheering for a sports team than winning championships and expecting to win/dominate every game. As is with life, it's impossible to truly appreciate the highs without experiencing the lows

I realize that not everyone will agree with my outlook, and that's cool. I'm trying to be more tolerant of the negativity and doom and gloom posts
I've always been on your side when it comes to negativity - but for me this is different.

If the Jets had played even one good game so far in this series, that would be something.

If this core had ever shown me they can play with the intensity and desperation needed in the playoffs, I'd be in.

However, this is looking like the same team that somehow fell apart in the Vegas series in 17-18. I have no idea what happened but this team hasn't looked the same since then.

The Oilers series for me was the only time the Jets looked truly engaged and part of that was the sheer incompetence of the Oilers franchise.

I'm looking for something to grab onto, some glimmer of hope.

I fully realize that it's extremely difficult to win the cup - but I'd your team is never in the fight and you feel like there no hope, that's a problem, and that's where I am today.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
This is only my opinion, and everyone may not agree, but I think the Jets players are far too focussed on their own skill levels, and they don’t always play the type of game needed to win in the playoffs.

We have a lot of skilled players on the team, and I have no doubt that if the NHL was played 3 on 3, that this team would challenge for the cup. However, highlight reel goals don’t win games in the playoffs.

In the off-season I think we really need to look for one or two players who can make their living in front of the net, but who also have a good hands. Players like Zach Hyman, or going way back to the early Jets, Paul MacLean who would just pick up so many garbage goals, but was a key part of the team.

Talent comes in many forms and there’s a lot more to winning than highlight reel goals.

If we look for an analogy in a different line of work, let’s say music for instance, we can look at our hometown boys of Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman.
Cummings had a decent solo career with his melodious love songs and of course Bachman hit it big with BYO and his hard driving, truck driving straight forward rock and roll. But when the two got together in the Guess Who, they made magic.

Let’s face it, if NHL goalies see the puck, they’re almost always going to make the save. We need to take that away from our oppositions goalie. Colorado is doing that to us.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Jets seemed to figure out their 5v5 play. High danger chances 11-6.

Any team who plays half a third period on the pk in a one goal game is going to lose.

This series isn’t over yet. Don’t forget the Jets lost game 6 against Nashville 4-0 in 2018.

Win game 4 and the Jets have the momentum going into game 5 at home.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
the path to winning was always to optimize that talent
But we never do it. This is the point I've tried to hammer home for years now: if you never try anything new, you're never going to optimise what you have. It hasn't worked for us in the past, and we're again seeing that it isn't working now. This year was different in that a lot of stuff worked in the regular season, but the second things start going sideways, we are in massive trouble. It isn't just about some pushback, it's about not finding multiple ways of winning hockey games.

Be it lineups, prospects, or staff in the front office, we never optimise. For years, we have chosen some way to do it, and stuck with it until the (often bitter) end. I thought it couldn't have become much worse after Maurice, but Bowness, good grief.

For those still playing catch-up, here's an example of this: suppose we were to assemble ESV once again for Game 4. The #1 question then become, what do we do with Connor, a player who often needs support from his linemates to excel? Well, let's go to Moneypuck and see which lines he did well on during the regular season...

and then we find out that the only good Connor line that was together for more than a handful minutes had Ehlers on it. We don't know what to do with him, because we never cared to find out any other options than stapling him to 55 and hoping that it works. We also find out that out of the lines with 100+ minutes spent together, Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi was by far the worst combination we had in terms of xGF%. And then we wonder why we're having problems in this series.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Bones message to the media for several days now has been puck management in the offensive zone. "We can't just be one & done" because the "Avs are winning the puck battles in our o-zone when we shoot which leads to rush opportunities" "we need to be selective with our shots & break down their coverage".

All of these sentiments have been echoed by Ates in the Athletic & from Hohl.

Bones repeated much of that verbattim in his post game last night, but also kept saying, "we need to shoot more."

You can't have it both ways. If his message to the media is contradicting itself every second sentence, is this the same message he's preaching to the dressing room? If so the plan appears to be no plan at all.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
you can take more then one penalty on a play, just because you take a penalty doesn't mean you can do more after that... show me the interference the jets got away with that was as blatant as the names and pionk hits... there was no penalty being called by the refs on the connor trip, the refs didn't call the highstick either it was the linesmen which means that the refs just ignored the trip on connor as they had no idea toews was even high sticked.
The Pionk hit was blatant missed call for sure.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
names did get hit when he didn't have the puck
scheifele did get punched in the face after the whistle blew when we drew the first pp
pionk did get hit when he didn't have the puck
connor did get tripped

it's not the penalties that were called it's the fact that they let so much go before that
I think, like many people, that the “standard” for what is and isn’t a penalty changes too much that the best you can hope for is below average officiating.

Last night, we got horseshit officiating because the standard randomly went from “whistles are away, let them play” to calling everything.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I hate when people complain about the refs BUT if you give any Stanley Cup contender 5 PPs in the 3rd period especially in the first 10 mins you are going to lose 99% of the time.
What's weird I thought in the playoffs the refs don't want to decide the game so they let them play. The Vegas series I know only 2 games but there was only 6 penalties called total 3 for each each team and both games the teams had even penalties..
They were letting them play even though Avs should have had some penalties and I was okay with that but all of a sudden you start calling them. I know the high stick deserved it but usually the refs try to even it out which they didn't because Connor was tripped on that play.
Great video showing the missed calls on the Jets.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Anything that doesn't get Koal in the lineup Sunday is a fail, kid has 19 goals but sure put in AJF, he has to be for depth or I has serious concerns about the way the roster is handled
In a vacuum, I’m not opposed to playing AJF (or Kupari, but I think AJF is better) because his speed and forecheck will be useful against the Avs, but you have to get Perfetti in. Maybe they do something crazy and scratch Ehlers or Toffoli for Perfetti and then scratch Gus for AJF?

Because just swapping out Gus for AJF does nothing when the problems we’ve been experiencing are much greater than our 12th forward.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I've always been on your side when it comes to negativity - but for me this is different.

If the Jets had played even one good game so far in this series, that would be something.

If this core had ever shown me they can play with the intensity and desperation needed in the playoffs, I'd be in.

However, this is looking like the same team that somehow fell apart in the Vegas series in 17-18. I have no idea what happened but this team hasn't looked the same since then.

The Oilers series for me was the only time the Jets looked truly engaged and part of that was the sheer incompetence of the Oilers franchise.

I'm looking for something to grab onto, some glimmer of hope.

I fully realize that it's extremely difficult to win the cup - but I'd your team is never in the fight and you feel like there no hope, that's a problem, and that's where I am today.

They peaked too early went on that unbeaten streak at the end of the year and have fizzled. The hard forecheck and tenacious neutral zone play hasn't been seen these playoffs.

Saying that if they win the next one things will change I believe but they almost have to win the next one or they are out for sure.

Reactions: thereturn

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I hate when people complain about the refs BUT if you give any Stanley Cup contender 5 PPs in the 3rd period especially in the first 10 mins you are going to lose 99% of the time.
What's weird I thought in the playoffs the refs don't want to decide the game so they let them play. The Vegas series I know only 2 games but there was only 6 penalties called total 3 for each each team and both games the teams had even penalties..
They were letting them play even though Avs should have had a some penalties I was okay with that but all of a sudden you start calling them. I know the high stick deserved it but usually the refs try to even it out which they didn't because Connor was tripped on that play.
Great video showing the missed calls on the Jets.

The Woods on Pionk hit is the worst one. Not sure what they were thinking. It was a dangerous hit when the puck wasn't even close.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Bones message to the media for several days now has been puck management in the offensive zone. "We can't just be one & done" because the "Avs are winning the puck battles in our o-zone when we shoot which leads to rush opportunities" "we need to be selective with our shots & break down their coverage".

All of these sentiments have been echoed by Ates in the Athletic & from Hohl.

Bones repeated much of that verbattim in his post game last night, but also kept saying, "we need to shoot more."

You can't have it both ways. If his message to the media is contradicting itself every second sentence, is this the same message he's preaching to the dressing room? If so the plan appears to be no plan at all.
So now he wants them to play the way Schiefele wanted to play last year which is completely opposite than what he has preached for 2 years. Good grief.

Reactions: JetsUK

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I was too angry to post last night.

I came to terms this morning that I can't change what the refs call.

Instead, I decided to be happy and wait until Sunday.

7a7f89d87bd4a9edfd3fca4c640dd3bd62b03fe7.gifv

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is only my opinion, and everyone may not agree, but I think the Jets players are far too focussed on their own skill levels, and they don’t always play the type of game needed to win in the playoffs.

We have a lot of skilled players on the team, and I have no doubt that if the NHL was played 3 on 3, that this team would challenge for the cup. However, highlight reel goals don’t win games in the playoffs.

In the off-season I think we really need to look for one or two players who can make their living in front of the net, but who also have a good hands. Players like Zach Hyman, or going way back to the early Jets, Paul MacLean who would just pick up so many garbage goals, but was a key part of the team.

Talent comes in many forms and there’s a lot more to winning than highlight reel goals.

If we look for an analogy in a different line of work, let’s say music for instance, we can look at our hometown boys of Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman.
Cummings had a decent solo career with his melodious love songs and of course Bachman hit it big with BYO and his hard driving, truck driving straight forward rock and roll. But when the two got together in the Guess Who, they made magic.

Let’s face it, if NHL goalies see the puck, they’re almost always going to make the save. We need to take that away from our oppositions goalie. Colorado is doing that to us.

I agree to some extent but management has been trying to rebalance the roster with players like Vilardi, Iafallo, Nino etc and these guys aren't bringing those intangibles either. I honestly don't know what's going on with this group.

I think we absolutely needed that defensive foundation Bones has brought, but we needed coaching to also bring in an offensive scheme that would work with our skilled players and that hasn't happened.

But we never do it. This is the point I've tried to hammer home for years now: if you never try anything new, you're never going to optimise what you have. It hasn't worked for us in the past, and we're again seeing that it isn't working now. This year was different in that a lot of stuff worked in the regular season, but the second things start going sideways, we are in massive trouble. It isn't just about some pushback, it's about not finding multiple ways of winning hockey games.

Be it lineups, prospects, or staff in the front office, we never optimise. For years, we have chosen some way to do it, and stuck with it until the (often bitter) end. I thought it couldn't have become much worse after Maurice, but Bowness, good grief.

For those still playing catch-up, here's an example of this: suppose we were to assemble ESV once again for Game 4. The #1 question then become, what do we do with Connor, a player who often needs support from his linemates to excel? Well, let's go to Moneypuck and see which lines he did well on during the regular season...

and then we find out that the only good Connor line that was together for more than a handful minutes had Ehlers on it. We don't know what to do with him, because we never cared to find out any other options than stapling him to 55 and hoping that it works. We also find out that out of the lines with 100+ minutes spent together, Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi was by far the worst combination we had in terms of xGF%. And then we wonder why we're having problems in this series.

Well said. This org is stubborn and rigid to a fault. When things work its great, but when it doesn't they don't have many answers.

I've said it for years now but we have a management staff that keeps brining in coaches that wish they had a roster full if Lowry types and thus we utilize schemes for those types.

We have a group of skilled players that predominantly aren't the most athletic of the bunch but they almost all are high iq players. We should be utilizing coaching that inputs schemes to their strengths. Until we do imo we are never going to go far.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Has anyone here ever been to Washington DC? Please help. I’m trying to figure out which Smithsonian museum to visit when I travel there in 2028 and time is running out. It’ll be 2028 before you know it.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad