Avery on Tortorella in New Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Avery: "Mission accomplished"

If anyone wants to read a truly good hockey book, go check out the one Dryden wrote several years back.

It's sad that I had to explain "sloppy seconds" chant to my kids because of this idiot

To be fair, you didn’t have to explain it all. You could have said you’ll explain it when they’re older but for now just know it’s not something you should ever say. Why would you explain exactly what that means?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Tortorella has a really bad rep around here. That said, I played hockey with a guy that grew up with Sullivan the coach of Pitt. He (Sully) had nothing but good things to say about Torts and everything he did for him personally/professionally. So he does have some redeeming qualities.

Last edited:

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
To be fair, you didn’t have to explain it all. You could have said you’ll explain it when they’re older but for now just know it’s not something you should ever say. Why would you explain exactly what that means?

Whether I choose to explain or how to explain it it's my personal choice but the fact that this crap comes out of a professional hockey's mouth publicly say a lot about his character.

(And it say a lot about the fans who chanted this crap)

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Tortorella has a really bad rep around here. That said, I played hockey with a guy that grew up with Sullivan the coach of Pitt. He had nothing but good things to say about Torts and everything he did for him personally/professionally. So he does have some redeeming qualities.

He's done a decent job with Columbus and Dubi did pretty well under him.

But he may've softened up with old age. He can certainly light a fire under a team for a period of time but it's gets old after a while. These are grown men he's screaming at every day.

And I was never a fan of his 6 goalie system

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Tortorella has a really bad rep around here. That said, I played hockey with a guy that grew up with Sullivan the coach of Pitt. He (Sully) had nothing but good things to say about Torts and everything he did for him personally/professionally. So he does have some redeeming qualities.

Torts is not a bad guy and by his own addmisson he is to passionate about the game and winning. Love him or hate him Torts was the right guy for this team at that time. It doesn't change the fact that he was hard on quite a few players that he deemed werren't his guys. He isn't the first coach to do this and won't be the last. Although, they are a dying breed.

I also would like to remind everyone that the majority of this board hated Sullivan when he was a coach here. He wasn't even a canidate to replace Torts. Although I am pretty sure he said he didn't want the job.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I still donÂ’t see how Torts ran Dubi out of town....

Torts was critical of Dubi during his time as a Ranger on a somewhat in the media, pressers print etc.. regular basis. He took a shot at Dubi when he held out. He would demote him or flat out bench him. For what it's worth that type of tough love seemed to have worked because Dubi has grown into a solid player who many of us would like to see back here espescially with the holes we have at center now.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Torts was caught sleeping at his office with the Canucks earlier, who had thought. :s'
I like him.. his life, his EQ - what else not to like about him?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I believe that Torts should never coach in this league, but I'd hire him in a second to be our PR rep.

I loved the way he would tell those clowns to **** off.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Hehe, ya, I like that idea @Machinehead. It`s early morning here.. I will boil some eggs and cook a noice breakfast. :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hehe, ya, I like that idea @Machinehead. It`s early morning here.. I will boil some eggs and cook a noice breakfast. :)

Torts: "Are you boiling my eggs?"

Brooksie: "No."

Torts: "Well then get the **** out of here then!"

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah well, I was about to mention it - not one of his proudest moments in life the Brooks incident.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Tortorella was right about the country club atmosphere of the organization and the sense of entitlement it breeds...
It wasn't just that particular group.... it's inherent in the org.

Rangers teams are soft....

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Not the first time I`ve heard that arguement. Why are we a soft team with players like Kreider, Nash, Skjei and Miller? All good size players who too seldom play a physical game, except perhaps Miller and Skjei. But is there a logic reason behind that? Now that we signed David S. - he will not help with physicality. I personal ask for to a bit physical contribution if a player struggle to deliver good passes, or create chances for his line.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not the first time I`ve heard that arguement. Why are we a soft team with players like Kreider, Nash, Skjei and Miller?
Because it seems that AV's teams do not play with the edge. They avoid corners. It is the mentality that is instilled. You are right. This should NOT be a soft team. But yet it is. And I believe that has to do with the coaching mindset.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
The dude litterally lost his spleen playing for us and finished the game and now has to take immunity drugs for the rest of his life. It's not like he didn't care. He just thinks Torts was a dick. Which I feel like a lot of people agree with.

I guess Torts is in good company, because the same could be said for Avery...

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Sometimes I wish Torts were still coaching the team. Then I recall how little we scored, and how he treated Kreider and other youngsters at the time, and I reconsider. I just wish we had s coach who would instill discipline and accountability. A meritocracy, however idealistic, would be appreciated.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes I wish Torts were still coaching the team. Then I recall how little we scored, and how he treated Kreider and other youngsters at the time, and I reconsider. I just wish we had s coach who would instill discipline and accountability. A meritocracy, however idealistic, would be appreciated.

FWIW any and every coaching regime institutes its own meritocracy. You might not like or I might not like or we might not like the decisions they make but we don't decide---that's part of being a fan. You either have a great team and are happy for however long it stays great or you get to grumble.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

With the exception of winning a championship, following a team is often "the best of times and the worst of times."

The guy who follows AV will have some guys playing better, other playing worse, with others shuffled to the background, and everyone on here will have an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad