Avery on Tortorella in New Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Torts has had a successful NHL career, despite some personality flaws. Avery has worn out his welcome everywhere and accomplished near zero.

If he had put his effort into his hockey prowess, he could have had a strong career.

At his best he was an entertaining ahole who accomplished little, other than being a hero to those who think it's more important to be a ***** than to work within the framework of the concept of team.

A clown.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
It was mentioned on these boards. Stop pretending it didn't happen.

Sounds air-tight. No false information passes through these boards. :sarcasm:

People speculating over Lundqvist's comments/body language/interviews/whatever else they want to use doesn't make it indesputable truth.

I found an article quoting Lundqvist as saying he had nothing to do with Tortorella's firing, and he said that "he would never put pressure on management on decisions like that" and "it's not my call who the coach should be for the New York Rangers." As with everything else in the world, the truth most likely resides in the middle. I'm sure Lundqvist and some of the team expressed a distaste for how Tortorella handled things as would be par for the course of exit interviews with management, and I'm sure management had their own thoughts on Tortorella's style as well in regards to the direction they wanted to take the team and the results/reactions Tortorella was getting from the team, but I highly doubt any of them said "it's me or him."

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sounds air-tight. No false information passes through these boards. :sarcasm:

People speculating over Lundqvist's comments/body language/interviews/whatever else they want to use doesn't make it indesputable truth.

I found an article quoting Lundqvist as saying he had nothing to do with Tortorella's firing, and he said that "he would never put pressure on management on decisions like that" and "it's not my call who the coach should be for the New York Rangers." As with everything else in the world, the truth most likely resides in the middle. I'm sure Lundqvist and some of the team expressed a distaste for how Tortorella handled things as would be par for the course of exit interviews with management, and I'm sure management had their own thoughts on Tortorella's style as well in regards to the direction they wanted to take the team and the results/reactions Tortorella was getting from the team, but I highly doubt any of them said "it's me or him."

I do not think Lundy or any player would answer that question to the media even if they were partly behind the move. The media said Torts job was not in big question right after the playoffs but before the player exit interviews. Then suddenly he was gone so the implication of many fans/media was that Torts was fired because of what management heard from key players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On Sean--he became more and more disinterested and that was partly to do with his acrimonious relationship with Tortorella and that started almost as soon as Torts was hired as he made it pretty clear he didn't like Avery. In any case there was decline in Avery's game whether age related or not. One might factor in his outside interests in fashion and owning bars.

As far as Torts--he eventually did wear out his welcome. I liked a lot of the success his team had but Avery wasn't the only player that soured under his sometimes abusive personality. I wonder whether Naslund just decided he didn't want to play for him and just blew off the final year of his deal. OTOH some players like Stralman seemed to benefit. His nasty arguments with the press--particularly Brooks were pointless and mean spirited but could give a glimpse of his real personality.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I do not think Lundy or any player would answer that question to the media even if they were partly behind the move. The media said Torts job was not in big question right after the playoffs but before the player exit interviews. Then suddenly he was gone so the implication of many fans/media was that Torts was fired because of what management heard from key players.

I'm sure what the players voiced played a big part in his firing, but like I said I doubt Lundqvist or anyone gave the team a "he goes or I go" ultimatum.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Avery is one of my all-time favorites and at his peak was an elite bottom 6 forward. He and Tortorella are obviously both big personalities so it's no surprise that they clashed heads, but I'll buy the book and revel in the details.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm sure what the players voiced played a big part in his firing, but like I said I doubt Lundqvist or anyone gave the team a "he goes or I go" ultimatum.

I agree with you. I dont think it was a Lundy ultimatum. I think it was at least a half dozen veteran players telling management the game isnt fun playing this six goalie system and being in a toxic environment.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Torts has had a successful NHL career, despite some personality flaws. Avery has worn out his welcome everywhere and accomplished near zero.

If he had put his effort into his hockey prowess, he could have had a strong career.

At his best he was an entertaining ahole who accomplished little, other than being a hero to those who think it's more important to be a ***** than to work within the framework of the concept of team.

A clown.

Agreed. Never understood the appeal of Avery or the intense dislike so many have of tortorella, especially on the main board. And as torts proves, being a good coach doesn't require winning a popularity contest. His players dont have to like him they just have to play hard for him.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/sean-avery-savages-john-tortorella-new-book-164531904.html

“There was always someone in the dressing room who wanted to take their skate and decapitate him or take their stick and whack him over the head with it.â€

“I’ve never walked out of a meeting with my head coach, but if I didn’t leave the room I was going to end up in Rikers for choking this little ******** within an inch of his miserable life.â€

He has other harsh things to say.

He looks like he's ready to belt out a Human League song in that photo. Toughest metrosexual I've ever seen.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

My recolection is Lundqvist was coming up on free agency and alluded to he may not re-sign if Torts was still the coach. It could have come from his agent to Sather or Lundqvist to Sather or both.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
No, Lundqvist didn't make it into him or Torts.

There were long stemming issues with Torts, who I like, but Torts had the team quit on him the last March that he was there.

He belittled a lot of guys.... some of whom are very well respected guys... players may like and be friends with Sean, but they had much bigger issues with how Torts treated Boyler, Dubi, Gaborik (who wanted out), Richie, Hags and others in Ranger management and press.

They took issue with how Torts displaced his anger after losses with Sather, and Sam Rosen even.

Issue with Torts was that he just didn't give a ****.

Issue with Avery was that he just didn't give a ****.

No ****s given, no ****s taken. Simple as that.

It never came down to Hank or Torts. It came down to a lack of respect between parties.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
My recolection is Lundqvist was coming up on free agency and alluded to he may not re-sign if Torts was still the coach. It could have come from his agent to Sather or Lundqvist to Sather or both.

Yep, he was resigned in the winter of 2013, and Tortorella was gone by Jan/Feb. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Lundqvist alluded to "looking at his options" or something to that effect, and I would buy that more than him giving an ultimatum.

Either way, I loved Tortorella during his time here. Thought it was instrumental in giving the team a real, great identity as a team that was tough as nails and a PITA to play against. The players he got in Callahan and co. were the right ones at the right time with the (more or less) right coaching. After I think it was that 11-12 season though, the team seemed to stop responding positively to his methods and I was in the "he's run his course" camp. Still grateful for what he brought when it worked, those were some really fun teams to watch.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
“There was always someone in the dressing room who wanted to take their skate and decapitate him or take their stick and whack him over the head with it.â€

I wonder how many of Avery's teammates over the years felt the same way, about him (Avery)....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
On Sean--he became more and more disinterested and that was partly to do with his acrimonious relationship with Tortorella and that started almost as soon as Torts was hired as he made it pretty clear he didn't like Avery. In any case there was decline in Avery's game whether age related or not. One might factor in his outside interests in fashion and owning bars.

As far as Torts--he eventually did wear out his welcome. I liked a lot of the success his team had but Avery wasn't the only player that soured under his sometimes abusive personality. I wonder whether Naslund just decided he didn't want to play for him and just blew off the final year of his deal. OTOH some players like Stralman seemed to benefit. His nasty arguments with the press--particularly Brooks were pointless and mean spirited but could give a glimpse of his real personality.

Lot of his arguments with the press were to shift scrutiny away from his players or to protect them. It's kinda dumb but that's a big reason why he did it. He hated the press going after his players.

dude was too overboard with his angry stuff though

HIlarious thing when the Canucks hired him, he just didn't give a damn about coaching them. Didn't even live in Canada and showed up to practices late because of it.

Honestly Torts is a weird guy

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Torts brought this team to heights not seen since 94. ***** or not, guy was a darn good coach.

Agreed. For all his flaws, I'd still take Torts over Renney or AV

That is part of Torts problem. He wants to be the story. He thinks he brings teams to wins and its the players that lose games. As Rangers coaches Renney's record was nearly identical as Torts and AV's record has been better than Torts. Tort's (and Avery) are just nasty disrespectful people that actually see themselves as victims of all the people they have had fights with over the years.

On a side note I had heard previously that Torts treated Boogs horribly. While I do not always believe much of what Avery says I do tend to believe some of the Boogs stuff because I had heard it before from other sources.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Anyway I'm going to get this book.

Avery: "Mission accomplished"

If anyone wants to read a truly good hockey book, go check out the one Dryden wrote several years back.

It's sad that I had to explain "sloppy seconds" chant to my kids because of this idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad