Avery on Tortorella in New Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/sean-avery-savages-john-tortorella-new-book-164531904.html

“There was always someone in the dressing room who wanted to take their skate and decapitate him or take their stick and whack him over the head with it.â€

“I’ve never walked out of a meeting with my head coach, but if I didn’t leave the room I was going to end up in Rikers for choking this little ******** within an inch of his miserable life.â€

He has other harsh things to say.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Meh.

I loved Avery when he was doing things like getting in Marty's face and eventually felt Torts had run his course and lost the room but... historically one of these guys is much more successful and significant than the other, and it ain't Avery. He was a good bottom six guy who was entertaining. His time has passed.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The thing about Avery and Torts is they both had had issues in multiple places so they should stop pointing the finger and take a look in the mirror.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I believe everything that Avery is saying has some truth to it. It was pretty much common knowledge around her that Lundqvist told Sather me or Torts. Especially the way Sather fired Torts in an out of the blue way. Torts stepped on so many toes in hos career and in NY. He tired to bully Brooks and Brooks wouldn't let him. He was hard on Gaborik, though his play became better. He ran guys like Dubinksy out of town and so much more. Everything Avery is saying comes as no surprise. In addition strangling a coach has been done before Spreewell choked PJ Carlisimo on the court during practice one day.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh, I think Avery is prone to exaggeration especially if it serves his purposes.

I don't ever recall hearing Lundqvist saying it's me or Torts, we just heard that after player interviews and a disappointing season result he was let go, no details

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I liked what Sean did on the ice, it was very entertaining and added life to a limping team while he was here.

That said, Torts has his demons, and so does Sean.

Sometimes (dysfunctional) personalities just don't match. In this instance it sounds like oil and water, with both action and inaction serving as a dropped lit match.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
John Tortorella loves dogs more than most people, Sean Avery loves Sean Avery more than ALL people.

As soon as his skates hit the bottom of the Hudson, there isn't a single person I care less about than Sean Avery. Was a shame, Sean Avery actually had some underappreciated talent/motor if it wasn't for the garbage between his ears.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Avery is just mad because Torts didn't let him get away with murder the way Renney did. Renney was a nice guy and knew an unbridled Avery was best for the team and the fans. Torts never, ever played favorites, so he figured it would be wrong and look bad if he let Avery do whatever he wanted. Plus, Jagr and Shanahan were able to (somewhat) keep Avery in line. Once they left, who was the team leader? Callahan? Dubinsky? Gomez? Drury?

Avery is the world heavyweight champion of burning bridges. He probably doesn't care but his stupid mouth ruined what could have been a very long and successful NHL career. Loved him as a player and most fans adored him but he definitely lived under power lines as a kid.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think Avery cared enough about hockey or the NHL to have it bother him that he burned his bridges out of the league. He was the "too cool for school" guy

Torts seemed to dislike him because you never knew what you were going to get with Avery when he stepped on the ice. Were you going to get an effective agitator who'd help score some goals and throw the other team off their game? Or the guy who's go nuts, take a ton of penalties, do something/say something crazy on the ice and get suspended?

Who knows, Avery didn't toe the line very well.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I believe everything that Avery is saying has some truth to it. It was pretty much common knowledge around her that Lundqvist told Sather me or Torts. Especially the way Sather fired Torts in an out of the blue way. Torts stepped on so many toes in hos career and in NY. He tired to bully Brooks and Brooks wouldn't let him. He was hard on Gaborik, though his play became better. He ran guys like Dubinksy out of town and so much more. Everything Avery is saying comes as no surprise. In addition strangling a coach has been done before Spreewell choked PJ Carlisimo on the court during practice one day.

Couldn't be further from the truth and that is definitely not common knowledge around here

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I come from a time and place where it is the most natural thing in the world to hate your boss or any kind of supervisor--which I pretty much did my entire working life. All I can say now that I'm retired is I love(d) my union.

Tortorella was a control freak and that was pretty apparent from day one. What he's like away from the job who ****ing knows but I think he would be a hard guy for anyone here to get along with as a boss just from watching the few clips from the HBO thing and all the interviews etc. A hard ass Napoleon and an always unbending style of my way or the highway approach to things....and when you have someone like Sean who is always stirring the pot...he must have appeared to Tortorella like the devil to an Inquisition jesuit. Personally I think I would have love to be a teammate of Sean's even in a rec league. It would have been interesting in any case.

Anyway I'm going to get this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad