Avengers

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The fact that you can't have multiple save files, or restart the campaign is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in gaming. Both me and my gf wanted to play. I started my campaign, it was a bit buggy but ok. But then she couldn't start one. So we created her a profile on the xbox and then her save was bugged from immediately after opening cutscene (the sign in desk at avenger event was missing). There's no way to restart it. So stupid, we're gonna have to create another new profile and try again.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
After playing the mediocre beta, a 73 on metacritic sounds about right. Going off other forums and seeing the amount of bugs, issues, and straight up broken matchmaking - this is a easy skip.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
An extremely buggy grindfest of a game with no actual end game to twist your arm into paying for microtransactions. Hard pass.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This went from a must buy for me to an easy pass. The reviews of the campaign have been decent-good. It is only 10ish hours of content though and the multiplayer seems to be a mess. Not worth the price tag.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
from what I understand you cannot create your own avenger super hero and for that reason its an automatic no buy for me.

Why would you want to? That’s just dumb.

This went from a must buy for me to an easy pass. The reviews of the campaign have been decent-good. It is only 10ish hours of content though and the multiplayer seems to be a mess. Not worth the price tag.

12 hours of content to start. They’re billing this as a Destiny 2 like game.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Why would you want to? That’s just dumb.

12 hours of content to start. They’re billing this as a Destiny 2 like game.

Why wouldn't I want to be able to create my own superhero in the avenger universe? Avenger characters are fun but pretty played out at this point. I could see tiring of them quickly.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've hit a wall of a ****ing bugs on my playthrough.

I can't finish Cap's Iconic mission because the exosuit you're supposed to be beat the shit out of disappeared through the ground and did so on every try. Also can't finish Thor's because my xbox crashes every time i try. Black Widow's also doesn't work.

Considering i need to finish missions in order to pile up enough starktech crap to prepare the team for what i assume is the final showdown....this is less than ideal.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've hit a wall of a ****ing bugs on my playthrough.

I can't finish Cap's Iconic mission because the exosuit you're supposed to be beat the shit out of disappeared through the ground and did so on every try. Also can't finish Thor's because my xbox crashes every time i try. Black Widow's also doesn't work.

Considering i need to finish missions in order to pile up enough starktech crap to prepare the team for what i assume is the final showdown....this is less than ideal.

There's a fix coming for that real soon.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Finally finished the game and while I loved the story across the board, the jumping mechanics are f***ing HORRIBLE!

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

I was optimistic for this game's future until i read this. It basically reads like "the game's matchmaking was intended to be this obtuse and we're only planning small changes"

At its core, there's a really fun game in here. The combat is super smooth and really fun, the story is surprisingly decent. The grindy aspects are right up my alley as someone who dumped 700 hours into games like Monster Hunter World and Destiny 2. But good matchmaking is basically the heart of any good multiplayer title. Destiny's matchmaking is great and fluid enough where you're never waiting for anything. Sure, Raids force you to go find people manually but that's totally understandable given the context.

This game will live or die by the decisions they make in the coming couple weeks. Die's looking more likely at this point and that honestly disappoints me immensely.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So apparently this thing is really tanking in terms of players on Steam.

Anybody on here still playing?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It surprising how few good Marvel games there are these days with how huge those movies are. The Spiderman games are good, but I think that's about it right? In the 90's there were tons of Marvel games. Even just before the MCU took off you have the PS2-era Spiderman games which were great, a good Hulk game, even The Punisher was decent.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

Glad it is tanking. Selling half-baked games like Anthem and this under the live service label is garbage. Sell games that are complete experiences and add content down the line to keep people interested instead of the promise of more content that may be created. There are absolutely no guarantee from developers that they will actually create more content since if sales and/or the player base is unsatisfying, they can just cancel or scale things down.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm wondering if the sales are high but there's just no people playing online? The game does have an actual 1P story mode and most people likely to pick this game up probably aren't interested in Destiny style raids. Or more likely, this games audience just isn't likely to be into PC gaming? Like if Skylanders had a PC version, probably not a big audience there.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This game is another Anthem. Even the big "content drop" that they said would bring players back was a lousy 5 minute mission with different modifiers and the same cut and paste environment.

Shame because the combat was legitimately enjoyable until you realize its buried under a sea of bugs and godawful design choices.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

I'm wondering if the sales are high but there's just no people playing online? The game does have an actual 1P story mode and most people likely to pick this game up probably aren't interested in Destiny style raids. Or more likely, this games audience just isn't likely to be into PC gaming? Like if Skylanders had a PC version, probably not a big audience there.
I thought it was a possibility that it may have just sold poorly on PC, that doesn't look to have been the case. Reported a massive loss to the shareholders (63 million dollars US)

I just dont know how the costs were that inflated. Its a basic looter game with a 10 hour campaign. Seems like complete mismanagement from Square. 3 million units sold should not be this big of a financial disaster.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is it worth picking up for $20 for a comic book fan? Have the big number of updated fixed the game?

Its a good game for what it is. Its a mix between the Destiny style MP raids and a more SP rpg style game. Problem is it doesnt excel at either aspect.

My gf loves it since she loves avengers stuff. Im ok with it. Our problem is that we dont like online gaming. We really like the campaign, including the new missions added. Combat is fun and pretty smooth, inventory system is just ok, leveling is good, storyline is fairly solid. They push the skins pretty hard, but it all cosmetic stuff you dont pay to win so thats good. I would just want more of the campaign. Unfortunately after the relatively short campaign it forces you into Destiny style team raids which we just dont want to do. Lots of boring repetition with little story there, imo. I dont think theres enough variety in builds/equipment to make it a fun looter from my youth like a Diablo type, IMO.

The comparaison used most often Destiny i havent had played since i traded in my copy of Destiny 1 a month after release since i found out i hate mp raid style games.

If you play it as a SP game for the campaign (which has signficant add already with Hawkeye and Kate Bishop) with a free massive Wakanda expansion coming this summer it is sefinately worth it at 20, IMO. If you find you like the Destiny style raids youll way more than get your money out of it, IMO.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Its a good game for what it is. Its a mix between the Destiny style MP raids and a more SP rpg style game. Problem is it doesnt excel at either aspect.

My gf loves it since she loves avengers stuff. Im ok with it. Our problem is that we dont like online gaming. We really like the campaign, including the new missions added. Combat is fun and pretty smooth, inventory system is just ok, leveling is good, storyline is fairly solid. They push the skins pretty hard, but it all cosmetic stuff you dont pay to win so thats good. I would just want more of the campaign. Unfortunately after the relatively short campaign it forces you into Destiny style team raids which we just dont want to do. Lots of boring repetition with little story there, imo. I dont think theres enough variety in builds/equipment to make it a fun looter from my youth like a Diablo type, IMO.

The comparaison used most often Destiny i havent had played since i traded in my copy of Destiny 1 a month after release since i found out i hate mp raid style games.

If you play it as a SP game for the campaign (which has signficant add already with Hawkeye and Kate Bishop) with a free massive Wakanda expansion coming this summer it is sefinately worth it at 20, IMO. If you find you like the Destiny style raids youll way more than get your money out of it, IMO.

I love Borderlands so if it is repititive it would be no problem :D

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah the story is really well done as is Wakanda. It’s worth the play.

The only problem I had was with the armor swapping and the dumb changes they made to it.

Yea that threw me off a bit, defiantly takes some getting used to, but since my main character (Ms. Marvel) already has most of the gear I want for her I then to just get rid of most of what I find. Only the Legendary sets I will keep so the Multi deconstruct is nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad