AVCO Cup Winning Goalies

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Watching the Gordie Howe movie last night with visitors, started talking about WHA goalies and the AVCO.

Below is a list of AVCO cup winning goalies. Richard Brodeur is probably the best of the group.Lead goalies if not an even split of playoff games.

1973 New England - Al Smith
1974 Houston - Don McLeod
1975 Houston - Rom Grahame
1976 Winnipeg = Joe Daley
1977 Quebec - Richard Brodeur
1978 Winnipeg - Gary Bromley / Joe Daley
1979 Winnipeg - Gary Smith

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Joe Daly of Winnipeg, aka "The Holy Goalie" (why that nickname I dont know?). Interesting character. After a lengthy career in the minors, EHL, CPHL etc, he was claimed from Detroit in 67/68 by Pittsburgh where he teamed up with Les Binkley, then was the first player ever selected in the intra-league Expansion Draft by Imlach of the Sabres. In one game in Buffalo's first season, Joe there facing 72 shots in an 8-2 pasting at the hands of the Bruins... in 1972, he signed with his hometown WHA Winnipeg Jets, where he won 3 Avco Cups. One of the last maskless goaltenders, member of the Manitoba HHOF.... has a sportscard trading shop in Winnipeg, on-line as well.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not an overly good list of goalies there, Richard Brodeur and Gary Smith are probably the best.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Not an overly good list of goalies there, Richard Brodeur and Gary Smith are probably the best.

I agree, but I'm a bit biased with their time in Vancouver.

I didn't think that Garrett was a very good goalie and he is an even worse color/radio guy. He just mails it in, very homer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad