Pre-Game Talk: Avalanche vs Jets - Fri Feb 16 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I actually think this line might be okay. I had suggested it earlier in the year when Little seemed a bit sluggish and got pushed around a bit. I think they might surprise us. Laine and Ehlers have plenty of skill and Copp can drive play and get in on the D. He's also fast enough to open up space. He's not bad in terms of reads and vision, either.
Yep. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this could work.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well, lets say at this point I will be happy if there will be no more injuries. That with a win - Great. Add "no ELL" to those - Awesome!
ELL sighting in a win game won't take away my happiness but adds some frustration on top of it.
I honestly don't care what the lines are if we are winning.
I'd live with Hendricks-Scheif-Buff if we are winning.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Connor-Roslo-Armia
Hendricks-Copp-Petan/whoever

You can also swap Laine & Ehlers or Perrault & Wheeler.

Damn that line up looks nice. So nice.

Just last week Maurice touted how good PLE was and that he doesn't want to break it. Took him 2 periods to separate that line.

We already have a good 2C, nobody needs to take his minutes.
Maurice isn't putting Laine anywhere near the top line with Lowry out, it's not that hard. Laine is getting buried playing a sheltered 2nd line role, with the top line taking the tough matchups and more DZS, Maurice isn't risking him being the liability on that line defensively.

Copp likely isn't the answer but perhaps the matchups Maurice can get at home for Laine and Ehlers can get them going. Between the 2nd and 3rd line the Avs are going to be in tough to keep up.

Roslo hasn't played a game at C in the NHL, like Maurice is going to start doing that in mid February, c'mon.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Maurice isn't putting Laine anywhere near the top line with Lowry out, it's not that hard. Laine is getting buried playing a sheltered 2nd line role, with the top line taking the tough matchups and more DZS, Maurice isn't risking him being the liability on that line defensively.

Copp likely isn't the answer but perhaps the matchups Maurice can get at home for Laine and Ehlers can get them going. Between the 2nd and 3rd line the Avs are going to be in tough to keep up.

Roslo hasn't played a game at C in the NHL, like Maurice is going to start doing that in mid February, c'mon.
2017-18 Winnipeg Jets Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

I am so very tired of hearing this stuff about Laine not playing on the first line because he's a defensive liability, while having Connor there, who has some of the worst defensive stats out of all the forwards. Please explain to me how i am once again 100% wrong in my assessment.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

I am so very tired of hearing this stuff about Laine not playing on the first line because he's a defensive liability, while having Connor there, who has some of the worst defensive stats out of all the forwards. Please explain to me how i am once again 100% wrong in my assessment.

Not saying you are, but Maurice obviously feels Connor's game is going to compliment Scheif and Wheeler more at this point. Connor is better at getting in on the forecheck than Laine and CSW likely have a better chance at more zone time than with Laine.

I also think Connor has been a whole lot better as of late, he's spent more than a few games on the 3rd and 4th lines and his defensive game has improved a bit. More than Laine's has anyway.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not saying you are, but Maurice obviously feels Connor's game is going to compliment Scheif and Wheeler more at this point. Connor is better at getting in on the forecheck than Laine and CSW likely have a better chance at more zone time than with Laine.

I also think Connor has been a whole lot better as of late, he's spent more than a few games on the 3rd and 4th lines and his defensive game has improved a bit. More than Laine's has anyway.

I don't know about that Ducky. I think Connor is the worst of our talented young forwards in our own end and I don't think its close. He routiney misses assignments and has his fair share of issues making good decisions getting the puck out of our end.

Having said that his style of game does fit better with Scheifle and Wheeler.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I don't know about that Ducky. I think Connor is the worst of our talented young forwards in our own end and I don't think its close. He routiney misses assignments and has his fair share of issues making good decisions getting the puck out of our end.

Having said that his style of game does fit better with Scheifle and Wheeler.
Well I didn't say he was good :laugh:. I've seen him have better positioning lately and making good, quick reads when he has the opportunity, he's been good at protecting the slot as the weak side winger and starting some breakouts. He also plays better through the middle of the ice and on the forecheck. My version of defensive play isn't limited to when someone is pinned against the wall, that's a tough play for anyone, your options are limited and it's a matter of survival, the best players have difficulty clearing the zone when the D pinches low and closes off the wall. Those situations are usually a by-product of breakdowns that have led to the goal being to just get the puck out of the zone and regroup.

I'm not sure what assignments he missed lately, granted I could go back and watch the games over again and might see better what you're referring to.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Toth is right on this lineup...

I am okay with it...

As for the Peeps saying Laine and Ehlers on 3rd line isn't right...

Defensively those 2 need to earn their stripes...

Copper has excellent linemates on O'... does he on D'... ?

Its up to The Lion & Eels...

Reactions: Tommigun

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
E & L need to earn their way back into the top 6. Don't sulk. Perform on the ice. Play better
Thats true..

But it should be done equally to all players right? If vets crap the bed. :)

Anyways copp between laine and ehlers is not too bad. Copp tends to show flashes of offense when put with skilled players. Does that mean they are the shutdown 3rd line now :) hehe

I have confidence with this 2 that they will not complain about playing in lower lines despite them being the top 2 goal scorer in the team. Yes i know scoring goals is not everything in hockey but its the 1st one on the list.

Its what i like about them they bleed Jets. its too bad they play more euro game than the coaches style which i think is resulting in chemistry issues. Roslo and Connor suits the team style better. But it doesnt mean they are better than Laine and Ehlers. They are not.

Whatever line that makes the team win go Jets go.

Beat the Avs!!! Just win
Get the 1st seed.
46 goals out of 176 team goals riding on the 3rd line. This team is a monster team! To be able to do that :)

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
All things being equal, Petan probably sent down once Tanev is back and then Tanev to pressbox once Lowry is back. Poolman to Moose.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Thats true..

But it should be done equally to all players right? If vets crap the bed. :)

Anyways copp between laine and ehlers is not too bad. Copp tends to show flashes of offense when put with skilled players. Does that mean they are the shutdown 3rd line now :) hehe

I have confidence with this 2 that they will not complain about playing in lower lines despite them being the top 2 goal scorer in the team. Yes i know scoring goals is not everything in hockey but its the 1st one on the list.

Its what i like about them they bleed Jets. its too bad they play more euro game than the coaches style which i think is resulting in chemistry issues. Roslo and Connor suits the team style better. But it doesnt mean they are better than Laine and Ehlers. They are not.

Whatever line that makes the team win go Jets go.

Beat the Avs!!! Just win
Get the 1st seed.
46 goals out of 176 team goals riding on the 3rd line. This team is a monster team! To be able to do that :)

Maurice hinted today that we may see Petan with E & L at some point. Sounds like he's ready to mix and match the bottom 6

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

He isn't doing much on the offensive side of the game either. Still way to much junior in his game even when the jets have the puck in the offensive zone. Playing on 3rd line against easier matchups will help him not hold him back.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
"They're going to play against different people as well"

Mo put a little emphasis on that comment, it's pretty obvious that's the goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Festinator

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
All things being equal, Petan probably sent down once Tanev is back and then Tanev to pressbox once Lowry is back. Poolman to Moose.
I can see armia back to press box when lowry back and not tanev.

Reactions: jer760

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To me the issue is that one of the wingers needs to forecheck to get the puck. This is why whoever plays with Perrault suddenly does well.

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler works because Connor is F1 on the forecheck and turns the puck over so Wheels and Scheif can do their thing. Laine Scheif Wheeler got caved in because nobody was going into the corner to get the puck.
Perrault - Little - Ehlers worked and now Perrault little Roslovic works and frankly Perrault Scheif Wheeler was working too, but nothing else was. This is because Perrault forechecks so well. He's the straw that stirs the drink on whatever line he's on.

I feel like both Ehlers and Laine both need to play with somebody that will forecheck effectively to be really dangerous. Everything they get is off the rush. They have zero sustained zone time. The center on that line likely feels obligated to be responsible defensively to cover up for those 2 so it's hard to get in deep on the forecheck and also be back to cover defensively. Hopefully Copp succeeds with these two because then the 4th line becomes Tanev Lowry Armia once we're back healthy but as mentioned above I'm assuming they'll have limited Ozone possession. Hopefully easier matchups and going against the 3rd pair d help.

If this was the playoffs I'd be hoping to split Ehlers and Laine up but for the long term good of the team they need to learn to play together without Scheifele centering them:

Ehlers Copp Armia
Laine Hendricks Petan

People would lose their mind about playing Laine on the 4th line but I'd give him the full 2 minutes of each powerplay. He's such a liability 5 on 5 right now IMO but he's so young that his game is still evolving so hiding him on the 4th line and only deploying him in situations where he already is elitie isn't doing his development any favours.
This is a really good post and so much that can be commented on. I'll start with the 1st line that MP and Connor are good fits because Scheifele is so good at picking up the scraps behind a hard forecheck. If you put strong, fast pressure on the D and the puck is anywhere attainable it doesn't take long for it to be on Scheifele's stick. When you add Wheeler in the mix who does the same thing the line is outstanding at gaining and holding possession off the forecheck and cycle. Neither Laine or Ehlers does this thereby pulling away the lines biggest strength. Also agreed, Copp will be asked to be the defensive conscience in place of Little with Laine and Ehlers. Really don't see them being that effective unless they catch lightening off the rush. And finally I like the point about the long term effectiveness that Laine and Ehlers will need to achieve with Scheifele so the will both need to add a pressure game to their skill set.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
"They're going to play against different people as well"

Mo put a little emphasis on that comment, it's pretty obvious that's the goal.
Yeah and with Petan likely getting some shifts with them as well, the matchups at home should be favourable for them as they'll be against other teams 3rd lines/pairings.

We might have a lot less to fuss about than we think if things work out the way Mo plans.

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Hoping for a less stressful win....although the other night was a lot of fun.
I have been on the Avs board aplenty, they are one of the most cordial fan bases in my opinion on HF.
Think most of us underestimated them this year...I know I did.

Cordial. Yes, that's a good word for them. Colorado is full of cordial hockey fans. :nod:

the-dude-smoking-weed-o.gif

Reactions: Jets 31

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Connors fit on the first line has a lot more to do with his forechecking than it does his defensive play.

I think Connor and Laine would be a wash in their own end but it's Connors play in the neutral and offensive zones that give him the edge to play with Chef and Wheels.

Earlier in the season I suggested moving either Ehlers or Laine to Lowry's line... Lowry is excellent in his own end and has made huge strides in puck control and passing.

2 problems though. Lowry isn't around and it probably completely changes the dynamic of the Lowry line. I don't think Copp is a capable Lowry replacement but if Mo has last change he may be able to limit the downside.

Having Trouba would make Laine/Copp/fly more viable.

Reactions: Ducky10

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Also, on the subject of team appointed Nick names I know we have Rosey/Rosie now but.... A month or two ago in either Laine's or Hendricks mic'd up i heard someone called rockpile....

I think it was Hendricks calling Laine that but I'm not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad