Pre-Game Talk: Avalanche vs Jets - Fri Feb 16 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
It actually surprises a bit that Laine hasn’t been successful on a line with Bryan Little. I used to see Little as such a valuable and versatile player that you would think he would be great setting up Laine for offensive chances. Has Little slipped to such a degree or is Laine the problem right now in this case?
Or is it a simple matter of lack of chemistry between two very good players?

To me the issue is that one of the wingers needs to forecheck to get the puck. This is why whoever plays with Perrault suddenly does well.

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler works because Connor is F1 on the forecheck and turns the puck over so Wheels and Scheif can do their thing. Laine Scheif Wheeler got caved in because nobody was going into the corner to get the puck.
Perrault - Little - Ehlers worked and now Perrault little Roslovic works and frankly Perrault Scheif Wheeler was working too, but nothing else was. This is because Perrault forechecks so well. He's the straw that stirs the drink on whatever line he's on.

I feel like both Ehlers and Laine both need to play with somebody that will forecheck effectively to be really dangerous. Everything they get is off the rush. They have zero sustained zone time. The center on that line likely feels obligated to be responsible defensively to cover up for those 2 so it's hard to get in deep on the forecheck and also be back to cover defensively. Hopefully Copp succeeds with these two because then the 4th line becomes Tanev Lowry Armia once we're back healthy but as mentioned above I'm assuming they'll have limited Ozone possession. Hopefully easier matchups and going against the 3rd pair d help.

If this was the playoffs I'd be hoping to split Ehlers and Laine up but for the long term good of the team they need to learn to play together without Scheifele centering them:

Ehlers Copp Armia
Laine Hendricks Petan

People would lose their mind about playing Laine on the 4th line but I'd give him the full 2 minutes of each powerplay. He's such a liability 5 on 5 right now IMO but he's so young that his game is still evolving so hiding him on the 4th line and only deploying him in situations where he already is elitie isn't doing his development any favours.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What does Little do to that line? The guy barely gets to touch the puck. This line change will be good for him.

I still think it's a chemistry problem, not a performance problem.

Didn't he score a very important goal last game?

Who else would you have take second line C minutes? Nobody makes sense. The coach needs to make those two lines work. And right now that means playing E & L on another line

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Didn't he score a very important goal last game?

Who else would you have take second line C minutes? Nobody makes sense. The coach needs to make those two lines work. And right now that means playing E & L on another line
Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Connor-Roslo-Armia
Hendricks-Copp-Petan/whoever

You can also swap Laine & Ehlers or Perrault & Wheeler.

Damn that line up looks nice. So nice.

Just last week Maurice touted how good PLE was and that he doesn't want to break it. Took him 2 periods to separate that line.

We already have a good 2C, nobody needs to take his minutes.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Perreault
Connor-Roslo-Armia
Hendricks-Copp-Petan/whoever

You can also swap Laine & Ehlers or Perrault & Wheeler.

Damn that line up looks nice. So nice.

Perrault has never played RW? Why start now. He's so good winning board battles on his strong side.

Roslovic is a C for the future but not right now

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Perrault has never played RW? Why start now. He's so good winning board battles on his strong side.

Roslovic is a C for the future but not right now
Jesus. Swap Perrault & Ehlers. You can also put Petan in the middle of Connor & Roslo and put Armia on the fourth line. And when Lowry comes back you can run Connor-Lowry-Roslo or something like that.

Maurice is just shuffling the chairs on Titanic at this point.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Jesus. Swap Perrault & Ehlers. You can also put Petan in the middle of Connor & Roslo and put Armia on the fourth line. And when Lowry comes back you can run Connor-Lowry-Roslo or something like that.

I liked what Ivsaw last game. I don't know why we can't give it another look.?i'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I liked what Ivsaw last game. I don't know why we can't give it another look.?i'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow
I don't mind the lines. It'll be interesting to see how they do. I just feel like we could get more out of everyone with what i suggested (well, at least the ones we're not getting everything out of right now)

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Player post-practice audio: Little, Scheifele, Laine and Hendricks.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: Health updates. How much concern is there with the absence of Lowry? Thoughts on having Copp with Ehlers/Laine. Assessing the last few games for Ehlers/Laine. On ways a young player like Patrik Laine can grow in terms of learning how to get out of a funk. Point of the video they showed Laine today? Does Laine look slower to him this year? On Wheeler's response post-game last game and the impact of pressure. On the external pressure and how does he handle it? When he hears that it is weighing on his captain, what does he think? Is there any concern with a young team handling pressure? More on the external talk and pressure.

To listen click here.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hoping for a less stressful win....although the other night was a lot of fun.
I have been on the Avs board aplenty, they are one of the most cordial fan bases in my opinion on HF.
Think most of us underestimated them this year...I know I did.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Are the Jets showcasing Copp in the C slot/spot with Laine and Ehlers?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers - Copp - Laine just sounds dysfunctional.

This probably means that the top 6 will share the toughest matchups, no?
I actually think this line might be okay. I had suggested it earlier in the year when Little seemed a bit sluggish and got pushed around a bit. I think they might surprise us. Laine and Ehlers have plenty of skill and Copp can drive play and get in on the D. He's also fast enough to open up space. He's not bad in terms of reads and vision, either.

Reactions: Tommigun and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010

The "Titanic" that has gone 6-2-2 in the last 10 games, and 2-0-1 against Division leaders (TB, WASH and VGK) on this home stand?

You mean this Titanic?

shotPlot-25-5v5-fen.png

Reactions: Tommigun

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The "Titanic" that has gone 6-2-2 in the last 10 games, and 2-0-1 against Division leaders (TB, WASH and VGK) on this home stand?

You mean this Titanic?

shotPlot-25-5v5-fen.png
What?

The team's not the titanic. I said it mostly in reference to the swapping of Ehlers and Laine to 3rd. Its not gonna do anything for them, i think.

Hopefully the second line is better without Ehlers and Laine.

Last edited:

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
So, if we win and we see ELL, you won't be happy?
Well, lets say at this point I will be happy if there will be no more injuries. That with a win - Great. Add "no ELL" to those - Awesome!
ELL sighting in a win game won't take away my happiness but adds some frustration on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->