Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Babs had said he went down there to get a couple of extra hard practices under his belt. I wonder how much of it is conditioning vs being hurt right now?
That could be it, however the same way Babcock wanted Matthews with the team is the opposite why they called up Sparks to replace Andersen. Now even though we all knew Andersen was not going to play that game against the Sabres since it was a second game of a back to back, why even take the risk of dressing him to back up and it's why he didn't make the trip with the team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If he’s healthy he’s going to play. I’d rather him feel comfortable going into the playoffs than a certain group of fans that thinks he should be babied
I hope the team has a different mindset. It'll be easier to deal with slight conditioning or pacing issues going into the playoffs than it will be if his injury becomes more serious by rushing him back into meaningless games

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
(sigh) I miss Matty.
he was going at such a clip too i wonder if he would have challenged for an award this year. though i mean winning the Conn Smythe and the cup will obviously do :nod:
He had a legit chance at winning the Lady Byng due to his low penalty minutes and his goal/point totals.

However I don't mind him having to settle for a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe instead.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Damn, Matthews confirmed that it will be a lingering injury that will continue to bother him even after he returns.

Edit -- sorry, this is old news.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Maybe he should just get the surgery or whatever time is needed to get to 100% rather than fighting through injuries at such a young age. This year isn't everything. If he's good to go by game 1 of the next regular season then that's fine.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe he should just get the surgery or whatever time is needed to get to 100% rather than fighting through injuries at such a young age. This year isn't everything. If he's good to go by game 1 of the next regular season then that's fine.
yeah i have to agree on this. everyone is going to target his shoulder, and if there are still lingering issues it'll get re-injured pretty quickly

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Sure have surgery just before the playoffs, THAT is a great idea.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Sure have surgery just before the playoffs, THAT is a great idea.

Imagine we play Boston and AM is playing with an injured shoulder?

You don't want to re-injure something that soon, it could become a long-term career issue.

Look at Karlsson -- yes, valiant playoff effort, but who knows if he'll ever be the same again.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Imagine we play Boston and AM is playing with an injured shoulder?

You don't want to re-injure something that soon, it could become a long-term career issue.

Look at Karlsson -- yes, valiant playoff effort, but who knows if he'll ever be the same again.

It takes about one year to recover from a broken/fractured ankle. Also remember, Karlsson didn't even get training in. on top of that, Ottawa sucks and their owner sucks more, so i'd argue it's a mixture of all of that vs. Karlsson's original injury or him being the same again.

Unless you are suggesting that we just shut down Matthews period, he's okay to play. I doubt anyone right now is healthy, and one good bump could take someone out. he'll be fine, he'll probably need some surgery to clean out the shoulder or something. I don't think/doubt it will be chronic, and even if it was, we have the staff involved to make sure it doeesn't flare up.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It takes about one year to recover from a broken/fractured ankle. Also remember, Karlsson didn't even get training in. on top of that, Ottawa sucks and their owner sucks more, so i'd argue it's a mixture of all of that vs. Karlsson's original injury or him being the same again.

Unless you are suggesting that we just shut down Matthews period, he's okay to play. I doubt anyone right now is healthy, and one good bump could take someone out. he'll be fine, he'll probably need some surgery to clean out the shoulder or something. I don't think/doubt it will be chronic, and even if it was, we have the staff involved to make sure it doeesn't flare up.

Yea, that's the saving grace. I trust the medical staff and others on the team to make the right call.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area

I would guess that it is something that will bother him/he won't feel 100%, but it won't be something that he can worsen the condition of if hes allowed to play and postponing surgery.

Common practice for NHLers to delay surgeries to the offseason if things won't be made worse by playing. Nothing to worry about here IMO

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would guess that it is something that will bother him/he won't feel 100%, but it won't be something that he can worsen the condition of if hes allowed to play and postponing surgery.

Common practice for NHLers to delay surgeries to the offseason if things won't be made worse by playing. Nothing to worry about here IMO

Yea, it just sucks he won't be 100%. Hope for the best, though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Trust the professionals with Matthews' injury. Just hope he doesn't take a wrong hit.

If he's travelling with the team I wonder if he comes back against Nashville on Thursday.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

getting structural surgery at his age is probably not recommended. He is still very young, i'm sure they've weighed the options.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
getting structural surgery at his age is probably not recommended. He is still very young, i'm sure they've weighed the options.

I just hope he's not going to be playing at 80% for most of his career until he gets it fixed. But yes, I trust that they made the best decision that was available under the circumstances.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Where did this "he needs surgery" come from?

Has it been reported somewhere or is it just the HF doctors speculating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->