Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Sometimes it feels like Matthews has been out the whole season. I have a hard time remembering the games he's played, but it seems like injury watch news is always fresh in my memory.

Please come back soon AM34, and stay back. I'm flying to T-dot Easter weekend to watch the Leafs play the Jets and I want Matthews vs Laine to happen.

Reactions: saffronleaf

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Sometimes it feels like Matthews has been out the whole season. I have a hard time remembering the games he's played, but it seems like injury watch news is always fresh in my memory.

Please come back soon AM34, and stay back. I'm flying to T-dot Easter weekend to watch the Leafs play the Jets and I want Matthews vs Laine to happen.
He's played 53 out of 69 possible games accumulating 50 points (28G, 22A). That's pretty much 77% of games played thus far. What do you mean "feels like he's been out the whole season." :facepalm:

He's had a bit of hard luck this year but quit acting like he's only played 5 games -- "Feels like Matthews has been out the whole season." :laugh:

Reactions: Raging Bull

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I've had a grade 2 shoulder separation fellas. Trust me, you want him to take as much time as he needs to come back.

Had my arm in a sling for 3 weeks and couldn't even wipe my ass without some pain for 4 weeks, let alone play a contact sport.

Have they even confirmed that it was a separation? Thought Kypreos was the only one that said anything about that, odd that he would know when the Leafs are so tight lipped.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Have they even confirmed that it was a separation? Thought Kypreos was the only one that said anything about that, odd that he would know when the Leafs are so tight lipped.
I don't believe the Leafs ever confirmed it was a shoulder injury, they just claimed it as a UBI.

It's the media who's going with the whole "second degree shoulder separation" thing. I mean, it makes sense for it to be the shoulder based on replays but it was never confirmed by Maple Leafs management/coaching. Babcock did mention that with this "injury" he would have no problem with conditioning because he has his legs.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
He's played 53 out of 69 possible games accumulating 50 points (28G, 22A). That's pretty much 77% of games played thus far. What do you mean "feels like he's been out the whole season." :facepalm:

He's had a bit of hard luck this year but quit acting like he's only played 5 games -- "Feels like Matthews has been out the whole season." :laugh:

Probably has to do with my erratic work schedule limiting my ability to watch a lot of games, and when I do get stretches where I can sit down and watch it happens to be when Matthews is out which makes it seem like I never get to see him play. Just commenting on my own personal experience with this season.

Totally appreciate that you find so much comedy in my observation though /s

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Probably has to do with my erratic work schedule limiting my ability to watch a lot of games, and when I do get stretches where I can sit down and watch it happens to be when Matthews is out which makes it seem like I never get to see him play. Just commenting on my own personal experience with this season.

To be fair this 5 games in 17 days stretch has felt like an off season to me. So I understand the feeling, think we're just addicted to Matthews and need our fix.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
To be fair this 5 games in 17 days stretch has felt like an off season to me. So I understand the feeling, think we're just addicted to Matthews and need our fix.

The sparse schedule certainly doesn't help, but I guess on the bright side if we were playing more then Auston would be missing that many more games.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Despite being a fan of a rival team, I hate seeing good young talent on the shelf, no matter who they play for. Both the league and your team need to have this kid playing every night and showing what he can do. Here's to a speedy recovery.
Should be back soon, just hope he's got the energy saved up for the remainder of the season and playoffs. :thumbu:

Reactions: saffronleaf

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Just saying man he's played a lot of games. Obviously we would like him to play all 82 games just like last year but you know injuries happen.

I'm not taking any shots at you, obviously life comes first before Leafs so if you get caught up it's ok, so it's all good.

I've seen every Leafs game (and other games around the league) this year and last year and years before that. I don't miss any Leafs game which is why I had the reaction to your comment. If you're lucky, hopefully you'll get to see him more. He's such a special talent.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He obviously received A+ potty-training
habstoiletsenstownblog.jpg

cut.jpeg

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't believe the Leafs ever confirmed it was a shoulder injury, they just claimed it as a UBI.

It's the media who's going with the whole "second degree shoulder separation" thing. I mean, it makes sense for it to be the shoulder based on replays but it was never confirmed by Maple Leafs management/coaching. Babcock did mention that with this "injury" he would have no problem with conditioning because he has his legs.
When looking at the replay when Matthews got injured it was obvious that his shoulder is what got injured.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Back on March 1st, 2018 we were just throwing out potential dates for Matty's return, I went with March 20th, 2018.

I think he'll be back by March 20th in Tampa Bay. No need to rush him.

As per Kristen Shilton yesterday,

Babcock has also said before that players need at least one full practice at regular speed before they can return. If that holds true for Matthews, the Leafs aren’t scheduled to practice again until Sunday, so his earliest potential game for a return would be Tuesday in Tampa (3/20/18)

Hope I am right, that would be a pretty cool guesstimate.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

I hear ya, I feel the same way. It honestly does feel like forever since I've seen Matthews play. I missed a lot of the games earlier in the season due to work. Now my schedule has changed, and I can watch pretty much every game, yet he's out.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
So basically he has a bad shoulder. Might be injury prone. Should be extremely worried going forward.

Or, his shoulder was injured, it's now healed. Like most injuries with most players. We should be extremely worried because something might occur? I'll settle with what the team doctors tell management and let them decide how best to react.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I dont like the fact that Laine will beat him this year in points. O well. Crap happens. Get well soon Auston.
Honestly, why does it matter? Last year Matthews beat Laine in points in more game splayed. This year Laine will beat Matthews in points in more games played.
I just hope Matthews comes back and plays well, especially in the playoffs. And I hope the rest of his career is relatively injury free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->