Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He got sandwiched on both shoulders by 2 guys...the human body is not meant to be crushed that way...your ribs could collapse a bit as a buffer being sandwiched from the chest and back, but not from the 2 sides at the shoulders.

But pretty much every example of physical contact in ice hockey is a way that "the human body isn't meant to be hit." Regardless of that, some players go their whole careers barely getting injured, while others constantly struggle through injuries.

For all those players that get hurt all of the time, I suppose we could just keep saying "Not their fault. The human body wasn't meant for this" like you are above...

But the truth is we don't know which type of player Austin is yet. Nobody's labeling him as "injury prone" yet... but we're starting to hear the first voices of worry. For good reason...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Shoulder injuries can easily be re-aggravated, we want him to be strong and fully healed before he comes back. It hasn't been confirmed, but seems like some of his earlier "upper body" injuries this year were in fact injuries to the same shoulder. If he's already injured the same shoulder 2+ times this season, hopefully the Leafs are extra cautious this time. We're pretty locked in at 3rd place with or without Matthews, so there's no rush. Just want him fully healthy for the playoffs, and for this not to be a nagging injury for him next year.

If this is indeed a type 2 separated shoulder (uncomfirmed), typical recovery time is ~3-4 weeks. The March 20th game against Tampa would be just under 4 weeks, hopefully we don't bring him back any sooner than that.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
I really hope these injuries don't continue for Auston. I don't know about anyone else but, i'm really starting to worry about his longevity

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
My guess would be he comes back against Montreal next Saturday. I don't see them rushing him for back to back games.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Leafs just took out the Pens without Matthews, and 3rd place in the division is like 99.9%, so really not at all surprising he's still in a red jersey. I think what most are guessing is likely correct, Saturday Montreal is probably going to be his first game back.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I would keep him out until Saturday. The extra 5 days will do a lot of good, and I want him to be 100% when he comes back.
One thing for sure, is that he is going to have really fresh legs, while other top players are going to be worn down, come playoff time with all the time/games he has missed this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would keep him out until Saturday. The extra 5 days will do a lot of good, and I want him to be 100% when he comes back.
One thing for sure, is that he is going to have really fresh legs, while other top players are going to be worn down, come playoff time with all the time/games he has missed this season.
I remember when he returned from his first injury against Montreal he scored 2 goals in that game and when he returned from his second injury against the Rangers he scored in that game as well. So let's hope whenever he returns for his next game we can see a repeat performance like the ones I mentioned.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Saturday vs. Montreal -- book it.

They won't bring him back from injury for a back-to-back, and last time he returned against Montreal things turned out pretty good.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I've had a grade 2 shoulder separation fellas. Trust me, you want him to take as much time as he needs to come back.

Had my arm in a sling for 3 weeks and couldn't even wipe my ass without some pain for 4 weeks, let alone play a contact sport.

Let's all hope Matthews can wipe his ass. On Saturday. With the Habs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Let's all hope Matthews can wipe his ass. On Saturday. With the Habs.
He obviously received A+ potty-training
habstoiletsenstownblog.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad