Injury Report: Auston Matthews - Shoulder - Mystery timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Will probably miss a bit of time if he cant lift his shoulder

That was really weak, it was practically no contact. Sure hope this isn't a thing with him or shutting down AM34 in the PO is going to be quite easy.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He was probably taken out for precautionary reasons. If it were the playoffs he would probably play through.

Now it's just a wait and see, but I imagine he'll be out against Boston tomorrow .. That's going to be a rough game and if he's still even just a little banged up there is no reason to risk worsening it.

I mean I get the Leafs still have that chance at home ice but I'd put the long term health of Matthews ahead of that.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That was really weak, it was practically no contact. Sure hope this isn't a thing with him or shutting down AM34 in the PO is going to be quite easy.
Sometimes it's those awkward hits that just put something in a place it shouldn't be. They can do damage and are deceptive.

I'm hoping he's fine though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He was probably taken out for precautionary reasons. If it were the playoffs he would probably play through.

Now it's just a wait and see, but I imagine he'll be out against Boston tomorrow .. That's going to be a rough game and if he's still even just a little banged up there is no reason to risk worsening it.

I mean I get the Leafs still have that chance at home ice but I'd put the long term health of Matthews ahead of that.

Haha yeah, his long term health is obviously the priority.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sometimes it's those awkward hits that just put something in a place it shouldn't be. They can do damage and are deceptive.

I'm hoping he's fine though.

He just played him, AM34 should have rolled it off. Seriously if that was something major I got the jitters about his constitution. For good reason

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Forgive me for being concerned that light contact is injuring him. I worry about the Leafs, AM34 is a cog and of course I hope he is well or gets well but the bottom line is his back has issues and now very light contact popped his shoulder? It looked like nothing to me, maybe a tweak. If this is an injury you gotta start thinking about Lupul.
He was squished awkwardly between two 200 pound nhl players, I wouldn't call that light contact. It might have been slow but that doesn't mean it's not putting your body into a position it shouldn't be in.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He needs to either strengthen that shoulder drastically over the summer or get surgery. Something is really messed up with it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Forgive me for being concerned that light contact is injuring him. I worry about the Leafs, AM34 is a cog and of course I hope he is well or gets well but the bottom line is his back has issues and now very light contact popped his shoulder? It looked like nothing to me, maybe a tweak. If this is an injury you gotta start thinking about Lupul.

I some what agree IF this turns into something. That would be 3 separate times where he misses games on seemingly minor plays where he can skate off on own power.

The first he had a nagging injury that he could and did play through. Decided to take care early ok. Makes sense. He said he could play through if needed to

Second he had a bump with rielly. Felt some symptoms and stayed out as a precaution. Ok.

But that hit Too????? It’s never on the boards. He never goes down. Like I thought Hyman was dead last week and he is fine. Just really don’t want to see a pattern. I get that there is no urgency here. We are pretty much 3rd. But still...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He was squished awkwardly between two 200 pound nhl players, I wouldn't call that light contact. It might have been slow but that doesn't mean it's not putting your body into a position it shouldn't be in.

I didn't see anything that looked like it would be a problem unless he had a pre existing injury. I've seen dudes throw their own shoulder back in into socket. Sure they are tender but nothing some work and a shot won't take care of.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Will probably miss a bit of time if he cant lift his shoulder

Yea, it certainly looked like a shoulder injury to me. It was kind of apparent when he was walking down the hallway and his arm was sort of limp hanging on one of the staff's shoulders.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I didn't see anything that looked like it would be a problem unless he had a pre existing injury. I've seen dudes throw their own shoulder back in into socket. Sure they are tender but nothing some work and a shot won't take care of.
Maybe that's what did in the dressing room? Not going to give Matthews a shot on the bench I guess.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I am an accomplished lip reader and I think Matthews mouthed: "I wish that effin Lou would get me a Simmonds or a Kane on the wing and a few guys elsewhere willing to stand up for their teammates before I'm so banged up by the rats I'm done by 23!"

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

It was a sudden shift in momentum. The first hit sent his body in one direction, the follow up changed that momentum and likely caused the injury (potential separation but I'm not going to speculate beyond that). Think about that before saying it was a nothing hit.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I some what agree IF this turns into something. That would be 3 separate times where he misses games on seemingly minor plays where he can skate off on own power.

The first he had a nagging injury that he could and did play through. Decided to take care early ok. Makes sense. He said he could play through if needed to

Second he had a bump with rielly. Felt some symptoms and stayed out as a precaution. Ok.

But that hit Too????? It’s never on the boards. He never goes down. Like I thought Hyman was dead last week and he is fine. Just really don’t want to see a pattern. I get that there is no urgency here. We are pretty much 3rd. But still...

I've had the major surgery, by Dr. Marshalls team at UHN no less. He did the Leafs at the time. I've see injuries, many sorts and that was just not something anyone in his physical condition as an athlete should be injured by. I mean, a sprain or something? OK fine no biggie but a big lad gets leaned into and pops a shoulder? Cripes.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things.jpg

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think he'll be out for at least a game or two. While I doubt it's serious, I do think they will be really cautious, for good reason.

No better time to start playing Leivo here and bump up Kapanen in your lineup.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All I know is he didn’t look good skating off the ice and maybe worse walking to the dressing room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->