Value of: Auston Matthews New Contract

member 157595

I wonder if Lou will try and negotiate the big 3 contracts at the same time.
Try to get Nylander, Marner and Matthews deals confirmed and announced all at once.

Fear of Matthews getting 10+ is Marner can argue he is worth 80% of Matthews, and get paid more than if he was signed in a vacuum.
My dream scenario is
6m x 8 for Nylander
6m x 8 for Marner
8m x 8 for Matthews

Value wise keeping the big 3 together and on good deals will make it much easier for the team to be competitive. A winning Leafs team means more sponsorship money for everyone!
I would love it too but those numbers are simply not realistic.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
10-11m x 8 yrs. Hope it gets done this summer. He'll have a monster season next year, price can only go up.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
12 million/year. AM deserves close to McDavid. He scored 40 goals as a rookie. Also, his P/60 is among the highest in the league.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
60 point player should not get more then 7. If he wants to take a nice discount for the Leafs he should sign for 6. Any more then 7.5 and it's a overpay. But then again another 60 point player in Johannson got 8..

Unless he has a monster playoffs like Drai did last year I don't think he will get 8.5

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
All year we are told Matthews is lesser than players. Barzal is already better apparently, nevermind Laine being better. In their threads people are saying 8-9.5 meanwhile the same fans come in and claim Matthews will get 11+. Maybe he will, but it will be because he is worth it, not because of whatever reason they are pushing.

Whatever, threads like this help me fill out my ignore list to people not interested in actual discussion (Don't care if someone disagrees with me, as long as they try to make an argument and not just declare **** which is obviously false or misstated in order to rile up Leaf fans).
Until Matthews gets out of the 60 range for points both of those players will be better. Maybe next year he will hit 70 but PPG does not mean much when you miss 25% of the season. He would be smart to wait a year. Sad thing is Eichel got 10 for what 50 points so Matthews agent is going to point to that.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Matthews CV is a helluva lot more impressive than Drai's after 2 draft seasons.
He scored 40 in his +1 season, went ppg on his +2 season, still another year left of his ELC& he's a full time C.

Matthews can easily ask for 10M.
Definately better. But the year that matters when Drai was about to hit RFA he had a much better regular season and playoffs then Matthews ever has.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Until Matthews gets out of the 60 range for points both of those players will be better. Maybe next year he will hit 70 but PPG does not mean much when you miss 25% of the season. He would be smart to wait a year. Sad thing is Eichel got 10 for what 50 points so Matthews agent is going to point to that.

I mean he missed 25% of the season and had 34 goals...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
a 1 year deal at like $7-8 million to reward him short term and then the big deal OR a 2 year- $5-6 million dollar bridge like Kucherov deal and then sign him to a 8 year deal at $10 to 11 million to reward him long term when Marleau, Martin, Hainsey and Gardiner come off the books.

Nylander and Marner both get 7-8 years - $ 7 to 7.5 million per.

Yes or no?

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Definately better. But the year that matters when Drai was about to hit RFA he had a much better regular season and playoffs then Matthews ever has.

Drais money was basically based on 1 season of elite production, Matthews could be 3, while playing full time C.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Drais money was basically based on 1 season of elite production, Matthews could be 3, while playing full time C.
Maybe but he has never had a regular season out of the 60 point range an nothing like Draisatl playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Maybe but he has never had a regular season out of the 60 point range an nothing like Draisatl playoffs.

Except he's had 40 goals as a rookie and went ppg on his +2 season, something Drai never achieved, and again Matthews is a full time C.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Except he's had 40 goals as a rookie and went ppg on his +2 season, something Drai never achieved, and again Matthews is a full time C.
Cool except he has never got 77 points like Drai has and never got 16 points in 13 playoff games like Drai has. Maybe next season he will and great. But for now he is not worth over 8.5

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
a 1 year deal at like $7-8 million to reward him short term and then the big deal OR a 2 year- $5-6 million dollar bridge like Kucherov deal and then sign him to a 8 year deal at $10 to 11 million to reward him long term when Marleau, Martin, Hainsey and Gardiner come off the books.

Nylander and Marner both get 7-8 years - $ 7 to 7.5 million per.

Yes or no?

His agent is only agreeing to an eight year deal. He’s getting massive money right away.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Not only do his numbers have to go up. But perhaps his commitment level and-the ability to tough it out with minor injuries needs to happen before he can be considered a 10 million dollar player.

Matthews commitment level is shown by his ability to do all the little things - like actually win faceoffs.

As to his need to tough it out with minor injuries - Matthews blocked the 3rd most shots per game among NHL forwards (behind only Pyatt and Jenner).

Jan 21, 2018
Who gives a shit if the Leafs overpay Matthews? Overpaying a superstar is not a problem. McDavid is overpaid but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.

It only becomes a problem when your GM starts overpaying non-core players. The Leafs have managed their cap pretty well so far so it's not the end of the world if Matthews makes 1M more than he should.

The Oilers on the otherhand, when you have that much locked up on McDavid and then you factor in Lucic, Russell etc....ouch.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Everyone's been saying that Matthews will get a 10-12 million contract next year, more than Eichel and Draisaitl and not far off of McDavid. It seems to me that he hasn't done anything to justify a contract over 10 mil. Last year Draisaitl scored more points than Matthews career high, as well as a monster playoff. (best g/gp and p/gp, 0.46 and 1.23). Everyone still called his contract an overpayment.

Unless Matthews goes lights out these playoffs, I don't see him getting over 10 million.

Try that argument if you’re the Leafs and see how far it gets you.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
This is like a bizzaro world Hfboards thread. Where leafs fans argue that Matthews is a decent player only and leafs hater argue that Matthews is an absolute superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->