Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Wanna know one of the traits of franchise's that win consistently?

A really demanding coach thats team's superstar is the teams hardest worker.

You hear that from NE with Bellicheck and Brady. SA with Popovich and Duncan

If your best player sets a insane standard with his work ethic and committment to the program, everyone else has to follow or they get shipted out.

Early days but it seems like we might have found that type of foundation.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Fantastic analysis on why Matthews is such a good goalscorer in the Athletic: https://theathletic.com/128830/2017/10/16/auston-matthews-makes-magic-by-reading-the-goalies-mind/

Its paywalled but the gist is that Matthews is so successful because he anticipates goalies moves in anticipation of his fakes. Or as the article says, he's incredible at predicting where the goalie WON'T be as they prep for his scoring options.

In other words, he's generally two steps ahead of goalies which is not really something we've ever seen since the current era of goaltending skills/development where they're taught to read shooters and play percentages.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Fantastic analysis on why Matthews is such a good goalscorer in the Athletic: https://theathletic.com/128830/2017/10/16/auston-matthews-makes-magic-by-reading-the-goalies-mind/

Its paywalled but the gist is that Matthews is so successful because he anticipates goalies moves in anticipation of his fakes. Or as the article says, he's incredible at predicting where the goalie WON'T be as they prep for his scoring options.

In other words, he's generally two steps ahead of goalies which is not really something we've ever seen since the current era of goaltending skills/development where they're taught to read shooters and play percentages.
It's not really a surprise. His anticipation in every part of the game is incredible. His physical tools are amazing but his intelligence gets overlooked I think. He is always in position and always does the right thing with the puck. We're really lucky this is the case because intelligence of his caliber is something that will never go away. He will always dominate

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Tell you guys this. I can't get over how angry and insulting some posters get on here with you have the audacity to even suggest that Matthews impacts a game the same as Mcdavid, but in different ways. The flack you receive is unreal, I mean numbers will show the level of impact, but its taboo to even suggest it.

You need to treat them with kid gloves, make is sound like Mcdavid is the greatest player of all time, and that if Matty reaches full potential and perfection, he could be capable of challenging for the job of carrying Mcdavids hockey bag. Once you appease them that way you can begin to point of areas where they impact similar, even then you need to apologize as to not offend Mcjesus..

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Tell you guys this. I can't get over how angry and insulting some posters get on here with you have the audacity to even suggest that Matthews impacts a game the same as Mcdavid, but in different ways. The flack you receive is unreal, I mean numbers will show the level of impact, but its taboo to even suggest it.

You need to treat them with kid gloves, make is sound like Mcdavid is the greatest player of all time, and that if Matty reaches full potential and perfection, he could be capable of challenging for the job of carrying Mcdavids hockey bag. Once you appease them that way you can begin to point of areas where they impact similar, even then you need to apologize as to not offend Mcjesus..
yeah they're on a big losing streak and even McDavid has been struggling. They're not pleasant in the best of times but they really don't want to be kicked while they're down by suggesting that their young player might not be AINEC the best

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
the killer thing about Matthews shot is he doesn't shoot it from a regular position, on the 1st goal against price he shot from almost in front of his toes then the next shot in ot he was stretched out a little bit. Its such an unpredictable shot no goalie can really prepare for it, then the variation at the time of shooting it quick shot or hold it an extra second or 2

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
yeah they're on a big losing streak and even McDavid has been struggling. They're not pleasant in the best of times but they really don't want to be kicked while they're down by suggesting that their young player might not be AINEC the best

Oh I agree, not the best of times. Crazy thing is I even agree Mcdavid is amazing, and number 1 right now, still not enough though. It has to be him, and only him on that single tier, nobody remotely close. I tell you this, I wont ever even discuss it again on that main board, suicide.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

I also think it's very hypocritical, it's almost fashionable to kick a leaf player when down lol you best believe they would all be taking a massive dump on Matty if he were struggling, I just think everyone should be able to have convos about any player.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I also think it's very hypocritical, it's almost fashionable to kick a leaf player when down lol you best believe they would all be taking a massive dump on Matty if he were struggling, I just think everyone should be able to have convos about any player.
yeah they definitely would. the game is to kick the Leafs while they're down, and then when the Leafs fans rub it in when they're good it's too far and obnoxious. It's childish but oh well

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Hey peeps, not a Leaf fan but I am an American citizen who lives in the GTA and a big fan of Matthews( go USA) , where would you Leaf fans suggest the best place to buy a Matthews jersey based on price and quality in the GTA be, Thanks for any help you can give.
Does anyone like the new Arenas jersey they will be wearing?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
yeah they definitely would. the game is to kick the Leafs while they're down, and then when the Leafs fans rub it in when they're good it's too far and obnoxious. It's childish but oh well

Yeah, they can't take their own medicine type thing. I understand though, you see it with large franchise fanbases who have a huge media spotlight, I just think it's too bad we can't all just have discussions.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Watching him, you see why the players that experts and scouts had compared Matthews to were all different from each other.

Some compared him to Kopitar because of the way he used his size and strength to protect the puck and also to thrive in the greasy areas.

Some compared him to Toews for his attention to the defensive side of the game.

Some compared him to Sakic for that wicked wrist shot.

There were also comparisons to Forsberg, Francis, Beliveau... basically no consensus. Matthews is just a different mold of player. The all-around player who uses his many strengths at the right times.

And what's so unique is how he acquired all those traits. Stick handling in a phone booth on small, synthetic ice in Arizona, where he formed great hands in tight. Running while tip toeing on skates instructed by that Ukrainian trainer to help his edge work and skating, when the other skaters questioned these methods. His hand eye coordination from being a baseball star, when everyone else these days seems to focus only on hockey even in the summer.

His upbringing and how it shaped his life towards bringing him to hockey is what makes him truly special as a player.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Hey peeps, not a Leaf fan but I am an American citizen who lives in the GTA and a big fan of Matthews( go USA) , where would you Leaf fans suggest the best place to buy a Matthews jersey based on price and quality in the GTA be, Thanks for any help you can give.
Does anyone like the Arenas jersey they will be wearing?

That is a tough one. Most places have huge markups on jerseys. Maybe try googling it and finding a knock off? or bid on one? otherwise it will be pretty costly. Definitely don't go to any major sports shops, or the ACC.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

there are a couple of weird sports shops on yonge street (between dundas and bloor) that have jerseys cheaper than regular outlets. I have no idea what the quality is like or the authenticity, but id bet they have Matthews jersesy or if not blank ones you can get numbered/lettered at sportchek

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Pro image sports in the Pickering town centre is good I hear, if you’re out that way

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

That’s what I do in NHL 18. Matthews does it against the best goalies in the world

A good example of this is in the centennial classic on his first goal when he winds up for the one time clapper and instead holds on for a second and rips a wrister

Reactions: TDK88

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Mark my words, matty will be the greatest leaf of all time by the end of his career, maybe even best american player ever. Sundin was great, guys like gilmour/clark/sitler scored a lot but don't kid yourself, auston is a beast.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
The thing is Leaf fans had kind of resigned that we lost out on McDavid (the generational talent). No one was calling Matthews generational and we were content with that. But towards the latter half of the season and into the playoffs and into this season he flipped a switch that none of us expected.

I don't think anyone thought he was this good of a goal scorer, except for those that actually watched in in the Swiss league. What most of us thought we were getting was a 30 something goal scorer and probably an 70-80 something point getter, very similar to Mats. We never expected him to challenge McDavid but after watching him these games, if the shoe fits...

It's the fact that pre draft consensus is still forming people's opinions. A lot can change between now and game 82 but as of this moment, Matthews is the best player in hockey. And none of us saw it coming.

Matthew's flipped that switch before he was even drafted. The only thing that isn't generational about 34 is the hype (or lack of) prior to his draft. Look at his numbers at all levels, all extraordinary.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

I word at Adidas in Vaughan. Completely authentic. Matthews/Marner/Nylander run 250$.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

All it would take is for Matthews to be within 5-10 points overall for him to be considered better than McDavid, what with all the other aspects he’s brings (size, more goals, better shooter, better on FO%, better in the corners, better defensively)

If he scores 50 but has a few less points than McDavid the haters will be out in full force.
How can an American player from Arizona be the best player in the world over a prodigy Canadian?
It would be absolutely glorious to hear the envy of every other Canadian team, and the hatred Edmonton fans would be spewing

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep my eyes open. Now to decide which jersey to get (home/away) or maybe a Toronto Arenas. ☺

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Watching him, you see why the players that experts and scouts had compared Matthews to were all different from each other.

Some compared him to Kopitar because of the way he used his size and strength to protect the puck and also to thrive in the greasy areas.

Some compared him to Toews for his attention to the defensive side of the game.

Some compared him to Sakic for that wicked wrist shot.

There were also comparisons to Forsberg, Francis, Beliveau... basically no consensus. Matthews is just a different mold of player. The all-around player who uses his many strengths at the right times.

And what's so unique is how he acquired all those traits. Stick handling in a phone booth on small, synthetic ice in Arizona, where he formed great hands in tight. Running while tip toeing on skates instructed by that Ukrainian trainer to help his edge work and skating, when the other skaters questioned these methods. His hand eye coordination from being a baseball star, when everyone else these days seems to focus only on hockey even in the summer.

His upbringing and how it shaped his life towards bringing him to hockey is what makes him truly special as a player.
I have a comparison...... Mario. Auston simply controls the game with his mere presence on the ice the Mario super Mario used to do, and uses his big body to create space to let off his lethal shot just like Lemieux. I honestly think Auston has an opportunity to be among the games greats when it's said and done.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
All it would take is for Matthews to be within 5-10 points overall for him to be considered better than McDavid, what with all the other aspects he’s brings (size, more goals, better shooter, better on FO%, better in the corners, better defensively)

If he scores 50 but has a few less points than McDavid the haters will be out in full force.
How can an American player from Arizona be the best player in the world over a prodigy Canadian?
It would be absolutely glorious to hear the envy of every other Canadian team, and the hatred Edmonton fans would be spewing

I agree with this statement. The boards shit on us like MLB teams shit on the Yankees, part of me wants them to shove it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad